| IUPAC name
| Other names
Oxalic acid dinitrile
|Molar mass||52.036 g/mol|
|Density||0.002321 g/cm3 (0 °C)|
|Melting point||−28 °C (−18 °F; 245 K)|
|Boiling point||−21.1 °C (−6.0 °F; 252.1 K)|
|45 g/100 ml (at 20 °C)|
|Solubility||Soluble in diethyl ether, ethanol|
|Vapor pressure||5.1 atm (21 °C)|
Std enthalpy of
|Safety data sheet||Matheson|
Except where otherwise noted, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C [77 °F], 100 kPa).
Cyanogen, also known as dicyanogen or oxalonitrile is a colorless, toxic gas with a pungent almond-like odor. It is a pseudohalogen, with the chemical formula (CN)2.
Hydrolysis of cyanogen gives oxamide.
Cyanogen is a colorless gas, with an almond-like odor, highly poisonous. It is soluble in water, but more soluble in some organic solvents, like alcohols and ethers.
Cyanogen is sold by industrial gas companies, but due to its extreme dangers, it is not sold to the general public.
Due to the extreme toxicity of cyanogen, it's best to work with it only if you have experience working with toxic gaseous compounds. Work in well ventilated chambers or under a fumehood and proper protection equipment, such as cyanide-rated filter mask and gloves must be worn at all times.
- Make oxamide
- Make paracyanogen
- Make the second hottest flame known to man
Dicyanogen is metabolized by the organism to cyanide, which is very toxic. Lethal dose through inhalation typically ranges from 100 to 150 mg. Inhalation of 900 ppm over a period of 10 minutes is considered lethal.
Cyanogen should only be stored in metal gas cylinders, away from light and heat, and preferably in an isolated place. Periodically inspect the tube for any signs of corrosion.
Can be destroyed by bubbling it in an oxidizing solution. Burning it is not recommended as it may release hydrogen cyanide fumes.