Gas bubbler

From Sciencemadness Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

A gas bubbler is a piece of laboratory glassware used in Schlenk lines and other setups where a positive gas pressure is used/produced. Often, it is used to visually determine/regulate the amount of inert gas flowing through a system.


The gas bubbler consists of a glass bulb filled with a small amount of fluid - usually glycerol, mineral oil or silicone oil. Such devices are also called oil bubblers. Mercury was used in the past. The inlet to the bulb is connected to a ground glass joint, while the outlet is vented to the air.


Gas bubblers can be bought from lab suppliers.

Similar equipment can be purchased from aquarium shops.

DIY gas bubbler

A small gas washing bottle can be used instead of a gas bubbler.


Relevant Sciencemadness threads