Gas dispersion tube

From Sciencemadness Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

A gas dispersion tube is a type of lab glassware used to inject a gas in a liquid.


A gas dispersion tube consists of long glass tube with a fritted glass disc or cylinder at one end. The tube can be straight or U-bent at the end with the fritted glass. Some models also have a ground glass joint or a cone/screw adapter, allowing the tube to be used in closed setups.

Plastic gas dispersion tubes also exist, though they aren't compatible for processes where high temperatures are needed.


Gas dispersion tube can be bought from lab suppliers or online.

Aquarium airstones can be used as a cheaper replacement for gas dispersion tubes, although they may not be compatible to very corrosive reagents. CO2 diffusers, which have a fritted glass disc, can also be used as gas dispersion tube, and since they're made entirely of glass, they are compatible with most corrosive reagents.

DIY gas dispersion tube

A simple Büchner funnel is placed upside down and a rubber tube is connected to the stem. Alternatively, if you have a Büchner funnel with the fritted glass still intact, but the upper glass cylinder broken, remove all the glass walls above the fritted glass, and then simply use this as gas dispersion stone.

Take a broken pipette with a bulb, cut it near the bulb, then stuff the bulb with glass fiber.

See also


Relevant Sciencemadnss threads