Difference between revisions of "Sodium chlorite"
|Line 139:||Line 139:|
Sodium chlorite is a strong oxidant and ingestion will cause methemoglobinemia, hemolysis, renal failure. A dose of 10-15 grams of sodium
Sodium chlorite is a strong oxidant and ingestion will cause methemoglobinemia, hemolysis, renal failure. A dose of 10-15 grams of sodium can be lethal.
Latest revision as of 03:43, 23 May 2019
| IUPAC name
| Preferred IUPAC name
| Systematic IUPAC name
| Other names
Chlorous acid, sodium salt
|Molar mass|| 90.442 g/mol (anhydrous)|
144.487 g/mol (trihydrate)
|Melting point|| anhydrous|
180–200 °C (356-392 °F; 453-473 K) (decomposes)
38 °C (100.4 °F; 311 K) (decomposes)
| 75.8 g/100 ml (25 °C)|
122 g/100 ml (60 °C)
|Solubility|| Reacts with acids|
Slightly soluble in ethanol, methanol
Std enthalpy of
|Safety data sheet||Sigma-Aldrich (80%)|
|Lethal dose or concentration (LD, LC):|
LD50 (Median dose)
|350 mg/kg (rat, oral)|
| Sodium hypochlorite|
Except where otherwise noted, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C [77 °F], 100 kPa).
Sodium chlorite is an oxidizer used in the manufacturing of paper and as a disinfectant. It has the chemical formula NaClO2.
Sodium chlorite reacts with acids and elemental chlorine to yield chlorine dioxide.
- 2 NaClO2 + Cl2 → 2 ClO2 + 3 NaCl + H2O
- 5 NaClO2 + 4 HCl → 5 NaCl + 4 ClO2 + 2 H2O
Sodium chlorite is a colorless solid soluble in water.
Sodium chlorite is sold by lab suppliers.
Sodium chlorite can be made by reducing sodium chlorate in a strong acid solution with a suitable reducing agent, like sodium sulfite, sulfur dioxide or even hydrochloric acid. This produces chlorine dioxide, which is then absorbed into an alkaline solution and reduced with hydrogen peroxide, yielding sodium chlorite. The final product will always contain 20% sodium chloride.
- NaNO3 + Cl2 → NaClO2 + NOCl
- Make chlorine dioxide
- Pinnick oxidation
- Disinfectant and biocide
Sodium chlorite is a strong oxidant and ingestion will cause methemoglobinemia, hemolysis, renal failure. A dose of 10-15 grams of sodium chlorite can be lethal.
In closed plastic bottles, away from acids and light.
Can be neutralized with a reducing agent, like sodium metabisulfite.