Sciencemadness Discussion Board

PbO2

Pages:  1  

axehandle - 28-4-2004 at 05:00

How does one produce PbO2? Using Pb filings and H2O2?

I've googled for half an hour now....

Edit: You see, I have this mad idea of making a substrate-less PbO2 anode using my 20-ton hydraulic press and perhaps some sort of inert binder.

Edit2: Skylighter sells PbO2, but doesn't ship it overseas due to its toxicity. Anyone know of a supplier within the EU that does mail order cross-border?

[Edited on 2004-4-28 by axehandle]

BromicAcid - 28-4-2004 at 05:52

I would say first you have to make you lead into a soluble salt. Dissolve in HCl, or you can use acetic acid vapors but the process is slow. Then take your lead salt and add the hydroxide of your choosing, like NaOH to precipitate the lead hydroxide. Take the lead hydroxide and add a hypochlorite like Ca(OCl)2 or possibly NaOCl and your lead dioxide will precipitate out. That is the prep from my chemistry book. I'm sure you could probably get away with using H2O2 in that last step in place of your hypochlorite though.

chemoleo - 28-4-2004 at 06:17

Hmm maybe NaOCl wouldnt be the best. It normally contains NaCl (obtained via bubbling Cl2 into NaOH), plus it is normally basic.
Not only may your precipitate contain PbCl2, but especially Pb(OH)2 . Better to use Ca(OCl2) which is free of base. On the other hand, a great excess of NaOCl would probably do the job.

For dissolving lead to get some lead salt, without using nitric acid etc, you could go via the copper acetate route - copper is deposited, and lead acetate is formed. you cant use copper sulphate as the corresponding lead salt is insoluble. to make copper acetate, either dissolve CuCO3 in acetic acid, or make it with Calciumacetate/copper sulphate, filter off the calcium sulphate and you are left with copper acetate.
Neat method, made 1.5 kg worth of lead acetate that way, with minimal effort :)

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by chemoleo]

BromicAcid - 28-4-2004 at 06:25

Quote:

Hmm maybe NaOCl wouldnt be the best. It normally contains NaCl (obtained via bubbling Cl2 into NaOH), plus it is normally basic.

The first point I totally agree on, but for the second point I forgot to mention that the Ca(OCl)2 solution is supposed to be added to basified Pb(OH)2.

Please spoonfeed me.

axehandle - 28-4-2004 at 06:52

I can get CuCO3Cu(OH)2 in any quantities, as well as acetic acid (25%) and HCl (30%).

How would I go from there?

BrAiNFeVeR - 28-4-2004 at 07:14

Wouldn't lead oxidise readily if you try water electrolysis with Pb as the anode material?

I once tried it I think and got a brownisch product ... can this be correct ?

axehandle - 28-4-2004 at 07:17

Don't know.... and I don't know how to tell the difference between PbO and PbO2.

If all else fails, I'll order it from a chem company in Sweden, but they are horribly expensive.

BromicAcid - 28-4-2004 at 07:38

I guess I can spoon feed, but only because you posted this in the reagents and apparatus aquisition area and not general chemistry :)

Quote:

I can get CuCO3Cu(OH)2 in any quantities, as well as acetic acid (25%) and HCl (30%).

If I were doing this I would dissolve my CuCO3Cu(OH)2 in a slight stoichimetric excess of CH3COOH then I would add my lead filings while stirring efficently. Making sure there was enough liquid to dissolve my end product Pb(OOCCH3)2 and also visually checking the color to see if there was a appreciable copper salts, if there was I would have to add more Pb.

From here I would filter out the copper then evaporate some of the solution with heat to maybe half volume or until the salt starts to try to precipitate if it did try to precipitate at a higher temp I would add a bit more water. And while still hot I would add a stoichiometic excess of NaOH to thoroughly precipitate most of the Pb(OH)2 and allow to cool.

Next step either let it sit around to age the precipitate and decant or filter it. Taking my still moist Pb(OH)2 I would add it to a guestimated quantity of water but it is somewhat insoluble so even though I would heat the water I would still not expect massive solution of the solid. Regardless I would make sure the solution was definitely basic, at least pH 11 then start adding Ca(OCl)2 in small portions keeping an eye out for a brown precipitate of PbO2. If I saw this it would inspire me to go on and add more Ca(OCl)2 until a precipitate was no longer observed, or until a stoichiometirc quantity was used up.

Filter precipitate, wash thoroughly and attempt to remove Pb(OH)2 remaining by adding the precipitate to a volume of hot water and filtering hot, doing so till confident that a majority of the Pb(OH)2 was removed from solution. You could add some carbonate to the water remaining from your first attempt at removing Pb(OH)2 from the solid and precipitate out the even less soluble carbonate to see if Pb+2 is still floating around somewhere. Although PbO2 is listed as insoluble in water it still might give a positive test so I'm not totally sure on that one.

Also wait for Chemoleo and see if he posts back on the details of the CuAc2 + Pb reaction, being that he made some 1.5 Kg he might have some good pointers for going about it.

un-be-fucking-lievable

axehandle - 28-4-2004 at 08:19

You won't believe this, but I sent a request for the price of 1kg of PbO2 to the only company in Sweden that does mail order to individuals.

The response was that I would need a fucking PERMIT to purchase lead salts AS WELL AS powdered lead!!!

I replied something along the line that as long as metal files aren't licenced, the permit requirement is quite academic....

Update: Seems MnO2 can be used as a substitute, but not for the chlorate-->perchlorate step. My pottery supplier has MnO2.....

Sucking up.

axehandle - 28-4-2004 at 10:36

Right now I'm sucking up to the guy responsible for sales at the company I spoke of. They only sell H2O2 (80%) if they're sure it's not going to be used for explosives. I've told him lots of my rocketry hobby. We'll see how it goes.

H2O2 should oxidise Pb to PbO2, right?

Edit: Sorry, it's H2O2 35%. About 15 Euro/liter.

chemoleo - 28-4-2004 at 11:36

Well here it goes... the dissolution of lead metal with cheap OTC materials. I copied parts over of what I posted at E&W already:

Quote:

A while back I managed to solubilse a kilogram of lead with a neat little method. I didnt want to waste HNO3 for the dissolution, neither NH4NO3 etc. Neither did I have any existing lead salts, or lead oxide.

But I did have about 20 kg of solid lead metal, plus 10 kg of copper sulphate (CuSO4), obtained from a gardeners store.

I got it to work as follows:

1. Calcium carbonate is easily obtained, I neutralised a known amount with acetic acid (conc. vinegar), yielding a solution of calcium acetate.

2. I dissolved an equimolar amount of Copper sulphate CuSO4, and added to it the stoichiometric amount of calcium acetate. What you get is copper acetate and calcium sulphate

3. THe precipitating calcium sulphate is filtered off, then the filtrate is cooled to precipitate more CaSO4, and filtered off again. One is left with a fairly clean solution of copper acetate, which has a lovely dark green colour and tends to crystallise at the surface of the the liquid.

4. This is probably the longest step - to the solution of copper acetate, one adds a large excess of solid lead metal! the finer the lead pieces, the better (faster). Over the course of a week or two, the copper acetate colour (dark green) slowly disappears, and becomes completely colourless. What happened meanwhile is that solid copper deposited as thin sheaths on the solid lead. I found no stirring is needed during those two weeks, the copper deposited anyway.

5. The solid copper is scraped off the remaining lead, the lead pieces are taken out, and the solution is filtered once again to remove copper pieces and any more CaSO4

6. One is left with a clear solution of lead acetate. Made from 100% over the counter materials. Slow evaporation of the water in the solution leads to LARGE crystals of lead acetate, which are very heavy and slowly become milky/powdery on the surface at air!

Quote:

Follo-up: When the Ca acetate started reacting over the course of a week or two, I noticed that an insoluble yellowish substance accumulated at the side of the reaction vessel.
Thinking, oh, this must be because the HAc evaporates (which is, as I found out later, because the double salt of the hydroxid/acetate forms, plus possibly PbO), I added 500 ml of 20% HAc to the 5 litres in the reaction vessel - and promptly, the yellowish stuff disappeared, and it was a clear green (later clear altogehter) solution again.
From that point onwards, I always made sure I keep the solution acidic, with excess acetic acid!

Well axehandle, there is nothing stopping you! It's a nice and satisfying experiment. I really really hope you do not claim that you can't find lead sheets/airgun bullets/fishingweights/lead solder anywhere in Sweden! :D

PS H2O2 does not necessarily work, I think Bromic only thought it might work too!

another method

Polverone - 28-4-2004 at 12:23

I've used this with good results on lead dust, but I'm not sure how fast it works with larger pieces of lead: boil the lead with ammonium nitrate solution. Some ammonia and lead nitrite are produced. The main product is a heavy white powder, easily soluble in acid, that I presumed was the hydroxide or a basic nitrate or a mixture. This white powder was easily dissolved in acetic acid, then treated with Ca(OCl)2 to form lead dioxide.

Another method that I know works to dissolve even large pieces of lead is to use sulfamic acid (often used as a descaler or ingredient in cleaning products). Lead sulfamate is extremely soluble, far more than the acetate or nitrate, though the solution undergoes slow hydrolysis, precipitating lead sulfate.

I seemed to find a few things using sulfamic acid to dissolve lead:

Really concentrated solutions of the acid didn't seem to attack lead.

Heating is very helpful.

It may be difficult to get the lead to react initially, but the addition of some hydrogen peroxide (3% works fine) seems to overcome this, when combined with heat. Pure lead might react better, but I noticed this difficulty with some airgun pellets, made of an alloy that remained shiny indefinitely (unlike pure lead).

I was able to dissolve airgun pellets completely in an hour or two, using heated sulfamic acid solution. The sulfamic acid is much easier to get/handle than HNO3 and doesn't produce NO2 when dissolving the lead.

axehandle - 28-4-2004 at 12:46

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll take them into consideration.

My sucking up worked, I can now order 35% H2O2! We had an interest in common: rocketry!

Edit1: Airgun pellets are an alloy of tin, lead, and antimony.

Edit2:
Quote:

This white powder was easily dissolved in acetic acid, then treated with Ca(OCl)2 to form lead dioxide.

Isn't H2O2 an even stronger oxidizing agent than Ca(OCl)2?

Quote:

Well axehandle, there is nothing stopping you! It's a nice and satisfying experiment. I really really hope you do not claim that you can't find lead sheets/airgun bullets/fishingweights/lead solder anywhere in Sweden!

Heh. I can get tons.

I tried it - success :)

chemoleo - 28-4-2004 at 16:14

I happened to have some lead carbonate-acetate at hand - so rather than just looking at it, I used it!

1. I dissolved exactly 10 grams in an excess of acetic acid, and filtered off to get rid of a slight turbidness.

2. To the clear solution NaOH(aq) was added. Once neutralised, a fine pigment white precipitate (Pb(OH)2) was produced, which, upon adding more NaOH turned yellow. This was reversible however, I acidified with acetic acid once again, and everything went back into solution. Then I adjusted the pH to pH 10 with NaOH, and collected the white precipitate.

3. The precipitate was resuspended in H2O dest, and the suspension was halfed.

4. To one half an excess of 30% H2O2 was added. The precipitate turned a pale lemmon yellow, with a few bubbles appearing. Thinking, maybe the reaction is not complete, I started heating it. Now that was a bad idea. At still low temps, a runaway suddenly occurred, and HUGE amounts of gas/smoke was produced - which thankfully cleared rapidly, indicating it was mostly steam and oxygen (for fear of lead in the air I departed the scene for a few minutes, and let fresh air do its job)... the yellow precipitate did not change colour, after the runaway, either.

5. To the second solution I added a large excess of NaOCl (with NaCl). Immediately a rust brown precipitate formed. No gas evolved this time, no chlorine evolution, thankfully. No accidents this time.

Conclusions?

Well I checked some MSDS's:

PbO2: Appearance: Dark brown powder. Incompatibilities: Aluminum carbide, sulfides, hydrogen peroxide, hydroxylamine, combustible and organic materials.

Pb3O4: Appearance: odourless red or orange powder

PbO: Appearance: yellow-orange powder. Stable. Reacts violently with hydrogen peroxide, strong oxidizing agents, aluminium, zirconium, halogens, sulphur trioxide, boron, silicon, sodium, zinc.

Well well the conclusion is obvious lol...
NaOCl did indeed produce PbO2, seemingly clean (no PbCl2 precipitate, I would have noticed the crystal needles). I won't mix it with H2O2, thank you very much :P

Now the other reaction, Pb(OH)2 is not as conclusive. Obviously something happened to it, else the colour change wouldnt have occurred. But it's definitely not PbO2. I guess most likely it's PbO.. or some modification of Pb3O4. I know it doesnt agree with the MSDS description, but I seem to remember a commercial batch of Pb3O4, which had this lemmony pale colour, too.

Anyway - axehandle, there you have it. No more sucking up to get some H2O2 pls... you dont need it! :P

PS it's currently drying, hoping to weigh it later.

chemoleo,

axehandle - 28-4-2004 at 17:14

I'm in your debt.

Remains to be seen how I'm going to repay you, considering that I may not be alive tomorrow. I melted about 3 kg total of KCl in my furnace (for a casting core), and spilt about 1kg down the furnace. Not wanting to stop my casting, I just let it vaporize. The entire flat is filled with atomized KCl(s). It shouldn't be too poisonous, but I'm a bit worried about osmotic effects on my lungs....

We'll see. Now I just need some very strong acetic acid.

If I die, it's been nice getting to know you all.

Edit: Btw, I'll still order the H2O2 --- it might come in handy at one point or another.

Edit2: I feel really sick now. Shoudn't need any potassium supplements for a while....

Edit3: *cough* cough* The casting sand worked perfectly, btw. If I'm alive tomorrow, I'll cast the burner vessel.

Edit4: From MSDS: "7. HEALTH HAZARD DATA

Inhalation: Extremely high concentrations of dust are typically self-eliminated due to the nuisance conditions they create. Over exposure may produce irritation of the mucous membranes, nose, throat, coughing and shortness of breath. In addition certain ice melters may contain small amounts of silica particles less than 5mm in diameter. These silica particles are capable of causing silicosis if inhaled in high enough concentrations over an extended period of time. The principal manifestation of silicosis if difficulty in breathing. This condition can progress to dry cough, shortness of breath on exertion, decreased lung function and pulmonary fibrosis."

I interpret this as "you'll get a very dripping nose for a while then you'll be fine". I have no difficulty breathing. Luckily, I don't have asthma or any allergies.

[Edited on 2004-4-29 by axehandle]

If anyone was worried...

axehandle - 28-4-2004 at 17:51

I feel fine now. A bit of a sore throat, that's all. I panicked there for a while, sorry.....

Looky, looky.

axehandle - 17-5-2004 at 09:18

I had 5 litres of 30% HCl and decided to make some PbCl2 just because possession of lead salts is illegal here.

In this picture you can barely make out 1284g of pure Pb dissolving in 1500g of HCl(aq). It's really, REALLY evolving H2!

Yuck!

Polverone - 17-5-2004 at 11:12

Isn't that filling the air with the horrible biting smell of HCl? The chloride is too insoluble for many purposes anyhow. I suggest acetic acid + H2O2 as a good combination for dissolving lead that doesn't later hydrolyze and dump insoluble lead sulfate (as sulfamic acid does).

axehandle - 17-5-2004 at 11:22

Quote:

Isn't that filling the air with the horrible biting smell of HCl?

It sure is! I'm having it by an opened window....

Yes, you're right, there are better ways, but I wanted to break the law with what I had at home.... it's one of those days..

frogfot - 17-5-2004 at 11:52

Polverone is right. Make this outside.. even with open windows HCl may destroy some sencitive electronics (some circuits may have very thin leads and locally no protection against nearby air..).. and not only electronics..
Oh, and small sprinkles from H2 evolution may carry away some lead salts in the air :o

PbO2 production is scary.. :o
Btw, how about taking it from car battery? Although PbSO4 should be removed somehow..

chemoleo - 17-5-2004 at 14:44

There's much more joy in making it yourself!
Read above, easy methods are all there!
Still, axe... you are gonna get lots of PbCl2 which is not well soluble. What are u going to do once the lead is covered with it, and the solution is saturated?
Well I guess as long as you can prevent the PbCl2 coating, its fine... as you have to process your your PbCl2 with NaOH anyhow. And that should work regardless... providing you work with weighed stoichiometric amounts, and you stir it throroughly and for a good while ...

PS yes I would seriously watch it with HCl fumes. My dad a few years ago nearly killed me when he found all his tools were rusty :o

[Edited on 17-5-2004 by chemoleo]

axehandle - 17-5-2004 at 21:11

I keep it in a huge jam jar with the rubber lid weighed down, so there is no spattering and very little fuming --- it doesn't smell.

It's still evolving H2, and the solution hasn't been saturated with PbCl2 (yet).

As for what I'm going to use it for: I'm intending to put the PbCl2 in a jar labelled PbCl2(s) just to mock the government.

It's not for making PbO2, for that I'm going with chemoleo's method instead. This is just for fun.

[Edited on 2004-5-18 by axehandle]

axehandle - 1-6-2004 at 07:12

Interesting..... 3 weeks and the lead is still not dissolved in the HCl, even though there's still lots of hydrogen evolving.

Think I'm going to try boiling sheet lead in NH4NO3(aq) today, just for the fun of it.

chemoleo - 1-6-2004 at 07:17

Make sure (for a change :P) you dont inhale the fumes coming off it. They really ARE nasty!
Plus, be careful not to explode the NH4NO3. That is even NASTIER!

axehandle - 1-6-2004 at 07:22

Quote:

Make sure (for a change ) you dont inhale the fumes coming off it. They really ARE nasty!
Plus, be careful not to explode the NH4NO3. That is even NASTIER!

Ah, yes, thanks for the concern. I wasn't intending to heat a mixture of NH4NO3 and Pb DRY though.... :) (mixing it with diesel oil :) or perhaps water will be much safer...
:D

Ceramic substrate PbO2 electrode construction

axehandle - 3-6-2004 at 22:39

This really belongs in Technochemistry, but I didn't want to create a new topic.

I found an (once you sift through the dribble) easy method to construct a ceramic substrate PbO2 anode in this patent (US 4,008,144):

[Edited on 18-8-2004 by vulture]

axehandle - 27-7-2004 at 12:26

Finally I have obtained 1kg of copper carbonate, which I've converted to copper acetate with acetic acid. The MSDS for cupric acetate states that skin irritation can be caused by skin contact. I just thought I should mention to anyone trying this out that skin irritation is just the first name. It, in fact, itches like nobody's business! I'm going crazy, it itches like hell! Arrgghhh!!! (I know I shouldn't have gotten it on my skin, but being the slobbering idiot I am.....)

[Edited on 2004-7-28 by axehandle]

Esplosivo - 27-7-2004 at 13:01

Pay attention when using such salts. Lead acetate is worse since it is readily absorbed through the skin, and I suppose none of us want an increased lead concentration in the blood right :P

Well anyway, I just wanted to ask you to document the separation of the formed PbO2 when you have oxidised the Pb acetate. Chemoleo told me he used centrifugation, but I don't possess a large enough centrifuge to seperate resonable quantities of ppt. Filtration prooved useless, since most of the PbO2 simply passed through the filter (but the reson surely is that I used a cheap coffee filter). Suggestions are welcome.

jimwig - 28-7-2004 at 11:30

isn't PbO2 that dark brown powder inside all these lead acid batteries I have been taking apart ?

I pretty sure it is.

Esplosivo - 28-7-2004 at 11:33

Yes it is. It might contain some lead sulphate though. Anyway that is the stuff.

axehandle - 2-8-2004 at 18:24

Quote:

Well anyway, I just wanted to ask you to document the separation of the formed PbO2 when you have oxidised the Pb acetate. Chemoleo told me he used centrifugation, but I don't possess a large enough centrifuge to seperate resonable quantities of ppt. Filtration prooved useless, since most of the PbO2 simply passed through the filter (but the reson surely is that I used a cheap coffee filter). Suggestions are welcome.

I sure will. Right now I have a vat containing 10 litres of water, 500g of copper carbonate converted to cupric acetate, and a huge chunk of lead. The displacement is slow going, but it seems to work. I expect it to take a few weeks though.

Edit: (next day) The lead lump was half eaten through! Just dumped in a freshly cast ingot. This is faster than I thought.

[Edited on 2004-8-3 by axehandle]

Re: Pb compounds

JohnWW - 2-8-2004 at 21:58

I have several kilograms of metallic Pb lying around my place, in the form of old Pb pipes and roof flashing that was removed when I did some renovations and alterations, along with fishing sinkers. Now I know what to do with it!

BTW: PbO2 and soluble plumbates e.g. Na2PbO3 are very powerful oxidants, capable of oxidizing Mn(II) to MnO4- in alkaline solution, and probably also Fe(II) to FeO4--. MnO2 is much weaker.

Plumbate, and also bismuthate(V), are in fact used in a colorimetric method for determining Mn in water, by oxidation to MnO4-, the absorbance of which in about the middle of the visible spectrum is then measured. However, it is interfered with by the presence of Fe, which is oxidized at the same time to FeO4--, which has substantial absorbance in the same part of the visible spectrum.

John W.

axehandle - 13-8-2004 at 12:38

There, the Pb(Ac)2 via copper carbonate --> copper acatate --> lead acetate route was successful. I'm right now boiling in the 10 litres of water it was done in --- very boring.

What I noted was that the lead chunks in the vat were eaten up at a very satisfactory rate: over 1kg of solid lead was eaten up in 3 days! The displaced copper doesn't stick, BTW, it falls to the bottom in small pieces; these were very easy to remove using a simple coffee filter.

The copper carbonate as obtained from my pottery supplier wasn't completely pure. Some insoluable junk, white to white-blue in color, it left at the bottom of the vat. Hasn't interfered with the process though AFAIK.

JohnWW - 13-8-2004 at 15:26

I think that the best way of obtaining Pb(IV) for use as a reagent in solution is by firstly dissolving PbO (litharge, obtainable from plumbous salts or heating finely divided metallic Pb in air), or else metallic Pb itself (with the evolution of hydrogen) in concentrated excess NaOH or KOH to form plumbite, PbO2--; then electrolysis of an alkaline solution of this at an appropriate voltage to obtain a solution of plumbate, PbO3--. Na or K bismuthate(V) is is obtained in a similar manner. Acidification of the solution at a low temperature with a strong mineral acid would precipitate out PbO2.

It, and bismuthate, is used in colorimetric chemical analysis for Mn by oxidizing the latter to MnO4-, although any Fe present is also oxidized to FeO4-- and interferes.

A commercial use of Na or K plumbate solution is to obtain Ca or Zn plumbates, which are used as corrosion-preventing metal paint primers especially for galvanized iron, as precipitates by adding Ca or Zn salts.

I am rather surprised at the posts describing Pb dissolving in non-oxidizing acids like HCl, which should not happen in the absence of a strong oxidant because Pb is below H in the electrochemical series. Perhaps it was not pure Pb, but solder? - the Sn content in it would dissolve in HCl.

John W.

axehandle - 13-8-2004 at 16:20

No... Pb is ABOVE H in the electrochemical series, at least in my (handwritten) variant:
Li, K, Ba, Ca, Na, Mg, Al, Mn, Zn, Cr, Fe, Co,
Ni, Sn, Pb, H, Cu, Hg, Ag, Au, Pt

And Pb(Ac)2 is a lead(II) salt, not a lead(IV) salt....

And Pb doesn't dissolve in NaOH, I tried it 5 weeks ago.

Your post is making me confused, but it could be you (or me) being drunk. I know I am!

[Edited on 2004-8-14 by axehandle]

chemoleo - 13-8-2004 at 17:18

Indeed, Pb does have a negative standard potential. Yet it doesnt dissolve in dilute acids (except HNO3), not even HF < 60%. It dissolves in hot conc. H2SO4, forming a complex. But it does dissolve i.e. in HAc, in the presence of oxygen (slowly of course). Or HCl - although even slowlier because PbCl2 is rel. insoluble.

Regarding your plumbate route - sure, that may well work - dissolution of any PbII salt in NaOH to form the [Pb(OH)4]2- ion, then electrolysis to [Pb(OH)6]2-. This in turn has then to be converted to PbO2, presumably with an acid. Surely not as simple as simply adding alkaline NaOCl to PbII salt.

Burning fine Pb - how realistic is that? HNO3- always the hassle with NOx and wasting HNO3. The copper acetate route sounds still best to me!

In case you misunderstood this JohnWW, the issue was about PbO2, not soluble PbIV compounds!

JohnWW - 14-8-2004 at 01:21

Axehandle - where did you get your electrochemical series from, viz.:
Li, K, Ba, Ca, Na, Mg, Al, Mn, Zn, Cr, Fe, Co, Ni, Sn, Pb, H, Cu, Hg, Ag, Au, Pt ?

Some versions on the internet which I found by searching on Google for "electrochemical series" (using also -amazon -buy -purchase -payment -price as negative search parameters to filter out book advertisements) put Pb just above H (by -0.13 volt), while others put Pb just below H.

In any case, even if the very small negative potential for Pb -> Pb++ over H of -0.13v is correct, this small potential, plus the poor solubility of PbCl2, would result in the reaction of Pb with HCl being initially slow, and then arrested after a short time due to the layer of PbCl2, except at high temperatures with an excess of HCl. Similarly, the solubility of PbSO4 in aqueous solution is even less, being infinitesimal even in boiling water, which explains why the H2SO4 in lead-acid batteries does not simply dissolve away all the Pb.

(BTW They agree that Cr (-0.74v) and Ni (-0.24v) are above H, which means that the corrosion resistance of stainless steels, and of "hastelloys" containing principally Cr and Ni, is due entirely to the formation of impervious oxide layers.)

John W.

axehandle - 17-8-2004 at 14:49

Quote:

Axehandle - where did you get your electrochemical series from, viz.:
Li, K, Ba, Ca, Na, Mg, Al, Mn, Zn, Cr, Fe, Co, Ni, Sn, Pb, H, Cu, Hg, Ag, Au, Pt ?

A Swedish college chemistry testbook printed in 1960. I'm fairly sure my notes are correct, I usually double check when copying. Can't vouch for the accuracy of the book though...

I'm ready to make PbO2 from the acetate now using NaOH + NaOCl (or KMnO4?), just wanted to ask those who have done this: The PbO2 precipitate formed, does it sink to the bottom or float? (This is crucial for me to know...)

Esplosivo - 18-8-2004 at 03:12

It first forms as a sort of 'suspension' but after some time it settels on the bottom. I found it very difficult to extarct this ppt from the liquid, filtering only resulted in the collection of a very small quantity of PbO2 as I said previously in this thread. Wish you all the luck you will need :P

axehandle - 18-8-2004 at 06:36

That was what I was afraid of. I suppose adding only a stochiometrically balanced amount of oxidizer, and then separating the precipitated PbO2 by sedimentation would be best then...

I'll see whether KMnO4 can oxidize Pb(OH)2 to PbO2, it would have the advantage of being its own colour indicator...

[Edited on 2004-8-18 by axehandle]

chemoleo - 18-8-2004 at 08:58

Well, in principle it is quite simple nonetheless.
PbO2 is bound to have a high density, so it will settle rather quickly. Definitely faster than CaSO4, which is equallly a pain to filter.
So, I would mix/heat your solution with NaOCl, like in a large batch.
Then, using a high glass/ beaker, let teh products settle over night.
Decant.
Repeat this 2-3 times. Then boil the remaining water off, and put on a radiator to get rid off the last bits of water. You could resuspend this in H2O (to get rid of traces of NaCl and such), and filter. I am sure the filtering wont be a problem then, the PbO2 clumps up and won't go into suspension like before.

Alternatively I suggest a centrifuge ... then the waiting/decanting wont be necessary several times, but prob. only once :P

Edit: As to the KMnO4 - I guess you ought to keep it basic, too. I am not sure whether you might get a precipiate of MnO2, so this might be mistaken (or mix) for PbO2.

[Edited on 18-8-2004 by chemoleo]

Polverone - 18-8-2004 at 09:40

I oxidized my Pb acetate in acetic acid with Ca(OCl)2. This formed a fairly easy-to-filter precipitate of PbO2, perhaps because I was using a concentrated, solid oxidizer instead of a dilute aqueous solution. The calcium waste products dissolved in the acid. After the first filtration, I washed the precipitate with water several times before letting it dry.

axehandle - 18-8-2004 at 09:45

Thank you both for the suggestion of washing the mix repeatedly. Stupidly enough that was something I didn't even consider -- just goes to show that I lack lab skill (or perhaps that I'm an idiot, I sure feel like one...)....

JohnWW - 18-8-2004 at 10:09

KMnO4 cannot oxidize Pb(II) to Pb(IV), at least not under neutral or alkaline conditions. Pb(IV) is usually the stronger oxidant. In fact, a colorimetric method of analysis for Mn in water involves oxidizing it to MnO4- with Na or K plumbate(IV) in alkaline solution. (It also oxidizes Fe to FeO4--, which unfortunately interferes with the analysis).

As for oxidizing Pb(II) to a precipitate of PbO2 with Ca(OCl)2 ("chloride of lime";), which gives an alkaline solution: are you quite sure that you did not end up with calcium plumbate, CaPbO3, instead? If the precipitate was light gray in color (which is the color of CaPbO3 primer paint for galvanized iron), this would be indicated.

John W.

Polverone - 18-8-2004 at 12:16

I applied this oxidizer to a solution of lead acetate in aqueous acetic acid, so the system was never alkaline. I obtained a heavy, dark brown powder.

S.C. Wack - 18-8-2004 at 12:39

Check your books, John. McAlpine and Soule:
"PbO2...is formed...(b) by treating Pb(II) in alkaline soln with oxidation agents, as halogens, H2O2, KMnO4, NaOCl, etc."

EDIT: Hawley's: "PbO2...Derivation: By adding bleaching powder to an alkaline solution of lead hydroxide."

Merck: "PbO2...Lab prepn from Pb(II) acetate and Ca(OCl)2: Newell, Maxson, Inorg Syn 1, 45 (1939)"

[Edited on 18-8-2004 by S.C. Wack]

FrankRizzo - 19-8-2004 at 15:54

What about mixing with molten KNO3? Don't you end up with PbO and KNO2 (also useful)?

S.C. Wack - 19-8-2004 at 16:42

Quote:
What about mixing

Mixing what with nitrate?

I'll guess: PbO + NaNO3 -> PbO2 + NaNO2
However: 3 PbO + NaNO3 -> NaNO2 + Pb3O4

and:
3 Pb + 4 NaNO3 = Pb3O4 + 4 NaNO2
Pb3O4 + 4 HNO3 = 2 Pb(NO3)2 + PbO2 + 2 H2O

AFAIK, that 1st equation is better for PbO2 than nitrite.

chemoleo - 19-8-2004 at 16:48

No, he meant Pb + KNO3 --heat--> PbO + KNO2.
The KNO2 is soluble in water, while PbO isn't.
It works, but it isn't a terribly economic method. Plus I wouldnt want to play around tooo much with molten KNO3 - unless of cause I was to prepare KNO2 - for which there aren't many methods that are easier than this.

Edit: I am not entirely sure about whehter Pb3O4 is produced, if Pb is added to molten KNO3. At least I haven't heard of it. I guess, as usual it's a question of conditions.

[Edited on 20-8-2004 by chemoleo]

JohnWW - 19-8-2004 at 18:01

Quote:
Originally posted by S.C. Wack
Check your books, John. McAlpine and Soule:
"PbO2...is formed...(b) by treating Pb(II) in alkaline soln with oxidation agents, as halogens, H2O2, KMnO4, NaOCl, etc."

EDIT: Hawley's: "PbO2...Derivation: By adding bleaching powder to an alkaline solution of lead hydroxide."

Merck: "PbO2...Lab prepn from Pb(II) acetate and Ca(OCl)2: Newell, Maxson, Inorg Syn 1, 45 (1939)"

[Edited on 18-8-2004 by S.C. Wack]

McAlpine and Soule are definitely WRONG about KMnO4 oxidizing Pb(II) to PbO2 in alkaline solution. As for H2O2, I suspect they are wrong again, because even small amounts of heavy metals merely catalyse the autodecomposition of H2O2 with the evolution of oxygen. At best, it would take an enormous excess of H2O2. However, NaOCl and dissolved Cl2 can do it, though.

John W.

chemoleo - 19-8-2004 at 18:09

Ok, I don't know about KMnO4 (I guess we have to try!) but I know about H2O2 - when I added it to Pb(OH)2 I got PbO (I posted that somewhere), nicely yellow, and MASSES of H2O2 - in fact O2 evolution happened so fast that it scared the s*** out of me because I thought the lab smoke detector might go off!
So PbO--> PbO2 via H2O2 is a no no!

(i.e. it DOESN'T work, under those conditions, all you get is PbO and lots of oxygen - i.e. JohnWW seems correct about hte autocatalytic decomposition of H2O2)

[Edited on 20-8-2004 by chemoleo]

S.C. Wack - 19-8-2004 at 20:12

JohnWW, add Mellor to your list of those wrong as well.

chemoleo, the Pb3O4 equations were not made up. Whether this is the case or not, I can only put my trust in authors who say so. This and the PbO>PbO2 was an attempt to find the relevance to the thread subject, not PbO.

I should add that in the old days it seems that chlorates were favored over nitrates for dioxide production.

chemoleo made a nice statement about conditions. I never or at least rarely say that something doesn't work. IMHO it's a matter of finding the correct conditions to make something work.

I'll try both H2O2 and KMnO4 this week, but I have to buy some Pb first, dissolve in HNO3... so it'll be a couple days at least. Not that I have super powers, but I'm curious now, and might be able to add something.

So that I might have something marginally constructive to add, I badly translated and abridged the synthesis in Brauer. Trust at your own risk:

2Pb(CH3CO2)2-3H2O + Ca(OCl)2 + 4NaOH->2 PbO2 + CaCl2 + 4 CH3CO2Na + 8 H2O

20 g Pb acetate trihydrate in 50 ml water is mixed with a solution of 10g NaOH in 90 ml H2O. 14 g Ca(OCl)2 (70-80% available Cl) is added to 200 ml H2O. This is filtered and 80 ml of the filtrate is added slowly with stirring to the Pb solution. This is boiled for a few minutes and PbO2 separates. More of the hypochlorite is added, 10 ml at a time, for as long as more precipitate forms.

The precipitate is washed by stirring and decantation several times with water, once with 50 ml 3N HNO3, hot water several times, filtered and dried in a vacuum desiccator over P2O5, but is not anhydrous without heating to 160C in a current of O2.

Yield ~85%

But they prefer adding water to the tetraacetate. More active for work with organics, they say. Easier, obviously, though they use a centrifuge.

Esplosivo - 20-8-2004 at 11:23

Tried the KMnO4 oxidation procedure right today. I tried both neutral and alkaline permanganate as reagents. (I also tried the acid permanganate but right then I remebered that insoluble lead (II) sulfate would form).

In both the alkaline and neutral permanganates a brown ppt was obtained, with a slightly larger amount in the case of the alkaline soln. The ppt did not have the same colour as the real PbO2. Following the formation of the ppt I tried a couple of test on it. It resulted as a mixture of both some lead compound, which might be PbO or most probably PbO2 with some Manganese compound, most probably MnO2.

I will try this again in case some manganate impurities in the ppt gave the 'pinkish' colouration on reacting with sulphuric acid, but I doubt it. I think the synth with Calcium hypochlorite is the best.

Edit: Typo

[Edited on 20-8-2004 by Esplosivo]

JohnWW - 20-8-2004 at 13:15

That brown precipitate would be most likely MnO2, produced by the autodecomposition of MnO4-.

John W.

Esplosivo - 24-8-2004 at 08:37

I produced my first largish batch of PbO2 today using the method named by Polverone, ie using solid Ca(OCl)2. The precipitate formed was very easy to filter, even with cheap coffee filters! This is probably the most viable way to produce home-made PbO2. I didn't basify the solution though. That could have increased the yield, although I am quite sattisfied with the batch I obtained from less than 100ml of dilute solution.

All is going well for the construction of the chlorate/perchlorate cell.

S.C. Wack - 27-8-2004 at 14:17

Quote:

McAlpine and Soule are definitely WRONG about KMnO4 oxidizing Pb(II) to PbO2 in alkaline solution. As for H2O2, I suspect they are wrong again, because even small amounts of heavy metals merely catalyse the autodecomposition of H2O2 with the evolution of oxygen. At best, it would take an enormous excess of H2O2.

I don't know if anyone believed this or not, but I'll rant just in case. I suggested that he check the literature, and he calls the literature BS. I checked the literature and found journal refs to PbO2 from:
alkaline Pb acetate and H2O2
alkaline Pb nitrate and H2O2 (quite pure, btw)
alkaline PbO and KMnO4
But one of Rhodium's funnier lines applies here: "However, to obscure their discovery as much as possible for the rest of the world, they encrypted their findings by publishing it in french (PGP was not available at the time)." And if not French, German. Unfortunately the volume of Mellor that covers PbO2 (vol 7, pp. 681-687) is the only one that the library doesn't own, and his "Modern Inorganic Chemistry" is only so helpful here.

Authors such as McAlpine and Soule (the excellent "Prescott and Johnson's Qualitative Chemical Analysis";), the writers for Mellor - and farther back, Thorpe, Roscoe and Schorlemmer, and Watts - go by and reference actual papers published in respected journals. When something is questionable they find a way to say so. They state facts that are known, not make things up.

Those who disagree should publish their own book to counter the BS artists such as Inorganic Syntheses: "Hypochlorite is the most commonly used oxidant, but permanganate, sodium peroxide, ferricyanide, and many other oxidizing agents can be used." However, in order to get published, one would have to do better than mumble something about oxidation of Mn(II), something which happens in acid, and in any case I don't see how it applies here. So, elaborate if you can, please.

OK then - first I dissolved some Pb in dilute HNO3. Used my high-tech sublimation apparatus for this - a pint beer glass sealed with a RBF, and a "warm"plate. But the last of the lead was slow to dissolve. I got impatient so I converted it all to sulfate and carbonate. I wanted the sulfate to test the easiness of conversion to PbO by fusion with Na2CO3, and will try something like US3644090.

The carbonate was converted by heat to a dull flowerpot-colored oxide, and some of this was heated more strongly to a bright dark orange oxide that was red-violet when hot. Heating the bright oxide in vinegar gave PbO2 as a dark brown precipitate and half the Pb as soluble acetate, which was precipitated as the sulfate with H2SO4.

The experiment with the lower oxide and H2O2 was first tried at perhaps 50C with a 25% excess of conc. NaOH. Dropwise addition of unheated H2O2 in concentrations between 10 and 30% gave an immediate formation of brown sludge at the site of reaction, but disappeared no matter how much more peroxide was added and at what rate. The H2O2 was made by evaporation of grocery store 3% and had a pH of 3.38. Should have added some base to it before addition.

Repeating this at nearly boiling temps was dramatically different, and dark brown PbO2 formed and remained easily. Not much H2O2 was required. HCl was added with the formation of white PbCl2 and Cl2.

The experiment with KMnO4 was done next, also with a 25% excess of oxidant and base. This was done at boiling, and an unheated satd soln of KMnO4 was added dropwise. There certainly was no "autodecomposition" of the KMnO4, and the excess was decanted off and the precipitate washed many times. It gave the sensitive color test for Mn, by fusion with NaOH and KNO3 in a porcelain crucible. It gave Cl2 and white precipitate with HCl. MnCl2 is quite soluble, and the filtrate was chlorine green-yellow.

1st batch of PbO2

axehandle - 9-9-2004 at 13:30

This was made from:

1) mixing bleach with a lump of PbAc2

2) letting it react at a 75 degrees C oven for an hour

3) letting it sit overnight, then filtering through a coffee filter

4) letting the filter dry, then scraping it out

No purification has been done, but I'm now confident that household bleach (mix of NaOCl and NaOH) <i>can</i> indeed be used in this process.

EDIT: I know the camera makes it look black, but it's really dark brown -- camera does bad job with big light contrasts and bad lighting.

I managed to get hold of 5 litres of bleach today (some sort of outdoor furniture cleaner / algae killer) and will begin preparing a proper PbO<SUB>2</SUB> batch shortly.

This is fun!

[Edited on 2004-9-10 by axehandle]

JohnWW - 9-9-2004 at 13:40

That sounds OK. High-valent compounds of other metals like Fe(VI) and Mn(VII) , in solution as anions, can be obtained the same way, viz. with household bleach (alkaline NaOCl), or with Cl2 in alkaline solution.

John W.

axehandle - 9-9-2004 at 14:21

Well, it's an amazing synth! No suspicious things needed, only pottery pigment, metallic lead, vinegar and bleach!

Possession of lead salts/compounds here basically carries a caning sentence so they are impossible to get, for any price.

However....:

1) Copper carbonate: cheap
2) Vinegar: cheap
3) Lead: almost free
4) Bleach: cheap
5) Look on the face of government chemical dept.: priceless

Guess I should send them some :D

[Edited on 2004-9-10 by axehandle]

EDIT: I'd really like to do this using a centrifuge -- at this rate the sedimentation will take days done properly sigh...

[Edited on 2004-9-11 by axehandle]

axehandle - 16-9-2004 at 20:39

I just implemented an improvement of the process that's not really obvious: I dumped in an aquarium water pump (the submergable kind) in my 2nd copper acetate / Pb vat (without any hose attached) to speed up the process. Easy way to "stir" the fluid.

My washing / sedimentation of the first batch of PbO<SUB>2</SUB> is going on nicely, albeit very sloooowly. Takes several hours for the PbO<SUB>2</SUB> to sink down to half the height. Wishing I had a centrifuge. Wouldn't be that hard to build one... hmm.

Also wishing I hadn't cheaped out and bought the least expensive NaClO I could find... damned thing contains some kind of soap or detergent that makes bubbles, plus it takes a lot of water to wash away... still, time is cheap I suppose.

EDIT: The pump was a REALLY good idea! If I didn't know better I'd say that stirring the thing would make it possible for the reaction to be finished in a couple of days as opposed to a couple of weeks! I dumped it in a couple of hours ago and copper is precipitating visibly on the lead!

[Edited on 2004-9-17 by axehandle]

Illegal?

akre - 17-9-2004 at 09:44

Quote:
Originally posted by axehandle
I had 5 litres of 30% HCl and decided to make some PbCl2 just because possession of lead salts is illegal here.

What are you talking about? It's not illegal to possess Lead salts! What you can't do is using certain lead compounds for products for selling to the public!!!! PbCl2 isn't even included in the restricted compounds database at Kemikalieinspektionen.

axehandle - 17-9-2004 at 10:51

Are you telling me that the chem supplier I contacted (Svenska Kemi) are so unwilling to make money that they lied to me about the legality of selling / buying lead compounds?

VERY weird

axehandle - 17-9-2004 at 11:17

Can anyone explain this:

(I've done the "let sink down to half the height then pour off water then add water" cycle about 10 times without this happening!!!)

pbo2_layers.jpg - 30kB

akre - 17-9-2004 at 12:52

Axehandle,

I don't know about Svenska Kemi, but from what I can see from their web site, it seems like they are dealing with "consumers" directly (18 years limit for buying Iron chloride).

I've personally never had any problems buying chemicals. Though I have my privately owned company "Hardsoft Electronics" it's main business is electronics.

I usually buy ACROS chemicals, sold by Bergman-Labora, but they also sell Fisher. 250g PbCl2 costs about 210SEK (22.1 EUR).

I think I now know why you were refused to buy! All lead compounds are reproductive toxins which are allowed for professional use only. If they suspect you'll have it for personal use THEY would be violating the law!!!! But as I wrote it's not illegal to possess the substance.

[Edited on 17-9-2004 by akre]

axehandle - 18-9-2004 at 08:43

*grumbles irritatedly* fascist regulations.... oh how I hate this country.... I should poison the city water supply just to show them...

Aaanyway, I have made some observations during my painstakingly slow decanting process. The major one is that it was really stupid to use NaClO/NaOH solution with detergent/soap in it for two reasons; first of all it's less viscous than desirable making the sedimentation process slower, secondly it takes forever to get rid of the detergent.

I've decanted about 20 times already, still there is foam forming when adding water.

A minor observation is that the speed of sedimentation increases with each decantation -- I'm ascribing this to the PbO<SUB>2</SUB> blobs/conglomerats becoming larger over time, thus settling easier, like rocks sinking in water slowly if they're very small than if larger (can't explain this phenomenon though)... this is guessing and I'll probably get flamed to a crisp.

Thirdly, the circulation pump I added to my batch of PbAc2 in progress is doing its job admirably. I think it's safe to say that it lessens the required time for the copper acetate --> lead acetate step to less than a week.

PbO2

MadHatter - 18-9-2004 at 12:12

Axehandle, I'm sorry that I didn't send that centrifuge to you. Sounds
like you could have really used it ! I'm also sorry that you have to put
up with bureaucratic wankers in your country ! I bought my PbO2 right
off the net ! Too many jackasses running our governments(mine included)
these days !

axehandle - 18-9-2004 at 14:44

A centrifuge would have been lovely for this process. I think half of the PbO<SUB>2</SUB> has been lost in the repeated decanting process, and all the polluted water that's gone down the drain (literally) has more than negated the environmental gains the bureaucrats *think* their sales ban has accomplished. I think this goes for a lot of bans -- they don't really deter determined people like me, but are more of a feel-good measure for the powers that be...

I think I've gotten rid of all the detergent now -- I just turned on the hotplate to boil it in. I'm excited to see what my yield is...

EDIT: Arrrrgghhh!!!!!!!! The damned thing flash boils! And I don't want to soil another borosilicate bowl... have to evaporate at a lower temperature, sigh.

[Edited on 2004-9-19 by axehandle]

FrankRizzo - 18-9-2004 at 18:34

Holy sh$t! You dumped the wash water down the drain?!? When the water treatment facility sees the increase in wastewater lead contamination they're going to look for the source. I would strongly suggest dumping the wastewater from your experiments somewhere other than your municipal water supply.

It's ironic that this is precisely the reason why soluble lead salts are not sold to the general public.

axehandle - 18-9-2004 at 18:47

PbO<SUB>2</SUB> isn't water soluble and besides I doubt a couple of grams would raise many eyebrows --- I'm fairly sure all the people emptying old car batteries in the drains far outscore my very small "contribution".

If this was more than a small test batch I would have dumped the waste water in my toxic waste bin instead.

Alternative route PbAc2 --&raquo; PbO2

axehandle - 18-9-2004 at 19:37

I just conducted a small electrochemical experiment:

Approximately 10g of PbAc<SUB>2</SUB> was dissolved in 300 ml of hot tap water. Two titanium strips approximately 6x100x1 mm respectively were submersed in the solution, approximately 7cm apart and connected to the +5V and GND lines of a 300W ATX PSU. The cell was left running for 5 minutes.

Result: Metallic lead was formed at the cathode in needle-like protrusions which fell off when the cathode was disturbed; the anode was covered with a dark brown substance which I will assume being PbO<SUB>2</SUB>. It was easy to scrape off with a knife, proving that is doesn't adhere to titanium (which is obviously an advantage in this synthesis).

Conclusion: This is a workable alternate route to PbO<SUB>2</SUB> from PbAc<SUB>2</SUB>.

:)

And here, observe the needle-like solid lead:

axehandle - 19-9-2004 at 14:18

I shouldn't have evaporated the water on a hotplate -- damned PbO<SUB>2</SUB> decomposed partly to Pb<SUB>3</SUB>O<SUB>4</SUB> (?)...

So now I have to do it all over again. This time I'm getting <i>pure</i> NaOCl though, not that soap-ridden crap.

But I <i>did</i> manage to coax 152g of PbO<SUB>2</SUB> from a new (as in never acid-filled) motorcycle battery, so <b>anode, here I come!</b>

PbO2_150g.jpg - 26kB

janger - 19-9-2004 at 18:15

Hey axehandle,
Interesting you've gone roughly the same route as me. Though I think you'd be better off using pool chlorine instead of bleach. It's easier to tell what you're buying. With Ca(OCl)2, I had no probs collecting the PbO2, just like Esplosivo. Only took several minutes to settle after each wash, and produced an easily filtered ppt. Also, to speed up the Cu(Ac)2 --> Pb(Ac)2, I concentrated (on steam bath) the copper acetate down about half its volume. Don't know if this causes any breakdown.

Tell me, how are you attempting your anode with the battery PbO2? I have heard of people trying this but the electrodes don't seem to last much better than carbon rods for perchlorate production. Are you going to use it as is, or incorporate it in a binder like you first said?

janger

axehandle - 19-9-2004 at 19:57

Well, bleach works, but I stupidly used some kind of outdoor furniture cleaner containing soap, NaOH and NaOCl. The soap was the problem -- totally impossible to get rid of. I'm getting pure bleach tomorrow.

The anode manufacturing idea is this:

1) Smear THF or PVC glue containing THF on the surface of the plastic substrate.

2) Rub it in powdered PbO<SUB>2</SUB>.

3) Let dry. Gently remove excess PbO<SUB>2</SUB>.

4) Submerge a part of the PbO<SUB>2</SUB> coated substrate in a plating tank and plate that part (this will be the "connection" part of the anode).

5) Turn it and plate the rest, taking care that the areas overlap.

My plating bath will be a water solution of PbAc<SUB>2</SUB>, slightly acidified with HAc.

[Edited on 2004-9-20 by axehandle]

janger - 19-9-2004 at 22:26

Axehandle, I've been tinkering a fair bit with this Pb(Ac)2 method.

For my test anode, I cut a strip of pvc from some pipe (got heaps of it), cleaned it with pvc primer and coated the convex side in everyday pvc glue. Then I just pressed/rolled it in the PbO2 powder. It sticks very well, although I didn't use enough glue and it's a bit patchy. But it does conduct.

As for the plating solution, I'm not sure how much luck you'll have that way. I certainly haven't been successful.
At http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Campus/5361/chlorate/... he says,
Quote:

The lead acetate should be at a concentration of 0.5 mol/dm^3, + acetic acid and the current density fairly low.
I'm not sure if he got the information straight from the refs he cites. I think if the bath is not acidic enough, too much lead is deposited on the cathode. After much searching, I found an interesting article on anode prep. :
Quote:

Lead acetate (100g) was dissolved in 0.5 M acetic acid solution. A platinum anode and lead cathode were suspended in the solution and a current of density 1.0 mA cm-2 was passed.
Interesting that vinegar is about 0.5 M, hey :cool: So I've spent the last couple of weeks making some solid Pb(Ac)2. You can't evaporate the solution too quick as it decomposes at 100 deg C.

Hope this helps.
janger

[Edited on 20-9-2004 by janger]

My steaming vat of poison

axehandle - 21-9-2004 at 17:49

Not steaming, actually, but it sounded more dramatic that way. Here's a picture of my 2nd run, making PbAc<SUB>2</SUB>.

The thing under the surface to the left is a sheet of Pb, the ring in the back (and at the front, although you can see only the top) was a disc of lead I cast in an old cooking pot lid. The circuference was thickest, and only a ring remains.

The black device in the middle is a submersible aquarium water pump to improve the circulation.

This run is complete, the liquid should now be almost pure aqueous solution of PbAc<SUB>2</SUB>.

Look at all copper fragment sludge at the bottom --- yuck!

EDIT: More info... total volume is close to 10 litres, I used 500g of copper carbonate and the stochiometrically necessary amount of HAc times ~1.5, don't remember the exact amount... Right now I'm filtering the liquid through carbon, then it's boiling time.

[Edited on 2004-9-22 by axehandle]

PbAc2vat2.jpg - 25kB

axehandle - 21-9-2004 at 19:37

The picture I <i>intended</i> to attach, instead of that horrible closeup:

PbAc2vat1.jpg - 24kB

axehandle - 21-9-2004 at 20:45

And here's the result of the very first purification by recrystallization step, 228g of lovely sweet PbAc<SUB>2</SUB>!

I'm boiling more, this is SO fun!!! :D

EDIT: 521g so far...

EDIT2: 890g, and still more than half the liquid left to process...

[Edited on 2004-9-22 by axehandle]

PbAc2_228g.jpg - 29kB

Theoretic - 24-9-2004 at 05:36

How about heating PbO with NaOH on air? It will oxidize to Na2PbO3, which you then can treat with CO2 or NaHCO3 to liberate PbO2.

axehandle - 28-9-2004 at 06:48

Quote:

How about heating PbO with NaOH on air? It will oxidize to Na2PbO3, which you then can treat with CO2 or NaHCO3 to liberate PbO2.

Pb seems unaffected by NaOH regardless of temperature.

On another note, praise the lord for pool chemicals! Only €20 for 2.5kg of Ca(OCl)<SUB>2</SUB>!

axehandle - 4-10-2004 at 09:38

Damned, damned, DAMNED!!!

My favorite hobbyist store sold off their entire stock of new, non-acid filled lead accumulators for the equivalent of €6 each and I came too late and they were all gone.... GRRRRAAAAAWWWWRRRR!!!! I could have gotten 150g of pure PbO<SUB>2</SUB> PER BATTERY!!

I should get out more.

TheBear - 4-10-2004 at 10:28

Axehandle: for your own sake. Be careful playing with those Pb-salts. Pb has already in extremely low concentrations a strong reducing effect on men's fertility.

axehandle - 4-10-2004 at 10:32

Good, it will be a nice complement to my girlfriend's pills.

EDIT: For the humor impaired --- I've washed hands about 500 times while handling the lead compounds...

[Edited on 2004-10-4 by axehandle]

chemoleo - 4-10-2004 at 10:50

Well well here's some more info on the toxicity of lead salts:

* Mounting evidence suggests that lead poisoning in childhood produces a long-term problem with learning, intelligence, and earning power.

* Adults with lead poisoning have increased incidences of depression, aggressive behavior, and antisocial behavior. Men with lead poisoning tend to have lower sperm counts; women have an increase in miscarriages and smaller babies.

I believe both refer to chronic exposure.

HOWEVER

IVN-RAT LD50 93 mg kg-1 (intravenous)
ORL-RAT LD50: 4665 MG/KG (Oral)

Looks like one has to eat quite a bit (lead acetate in this case) to die at a 50% likelihood.

Re. those dissolution experiments with Copper acetate - the only danger I can see is absorption through skin (apparently possible with the acetate), or inhalation of dusts. I wish I had more info on the rate of skin absorption... how would you measure this anyhow?

Effects are: Fumes, dusts , or vapors may be irritating to the respiratory system, and can result in both acute and chronic overexposure. Symptoms include coughing, shortness of breath, sore throat, and running nose.

On the skin, it may cause irritation with swelling, itching, redness and pain.

axehandle - 4-10-2004 at 11:14

Hmm, interesting. I've had no symptoms whatsoever, at least as far as I can tell. Mood swings, yes, but I always have those anyway...

I'm fairly sure my oral exposure has been negligible since I've scrubbed (using a brush) after each and every exposure to the lead compunds, including possible exposures (When unsure, I've washed.).

That leaves skin absorption and inhalation. The only parts of me that's been exposed in ways exceeding the odd small drop of lead acetate solution are my hands, which I've tended to wash within a minute of the exposure. With a brush and detergent.

Exposure is almost impossible to eliminate completely, as I've found -- examples are adjusting a substrate to be plated in acetate solution, getting lead acetate soln. on fingers, etc. I haven't found any way short of using gloves that completely eliminates accidental skin contact...

Inhalation of dust is unlikely, I think, since with the exception of dry PbO<SUB>2</SUB> powder, all my lead compounds have been more or less wet. I'd think the high density of the PbO<SUB>2</SUB> as well as my minimal handling of it (3 short sessions where it contacted my fingers) help here?

Fumes are a bit unnerving, but does Pb(Ac)<SUB>2</SUB> really get into the steam in more than a negligible amount when boiling the aquous solution?

The Merck says lead acetate has historically been used as an astringent. On the other hand, mercury salts have been used as cure for syphilis, and leeches have been used against the flu...

BromicAcid - 4-10-2004 at 11:32

I don't think any lead salts except straight organics (with a carbon-lead bond) are absorbable though the skin to an appreciable extent. Additionally calcium uptake is preferred over lead for incorporation into the skeletal matter and muscles. As long as you are not deficient in this, you should at least have an edge, take a calcium supplement or drink lots of milk :D

Plastic

MadHatter - 2-12-2004 at 21:18

Still looking for that EXCELLENT plastic substrate. No winners so far ! Everything likes
to cook off with my battery charger. SONOFABITCH ! Bear in mind that I have LOTS
of perchlorate for the moment Just wanted to experiment with different substrates.
As for lead compounds causing psychological problems, no problems there. I'M ALREADY
INSANE ! MWUHAHAHAHA ! God damn it, I just want something that works for a relatively
long time !

Quince - 25-2-2005 at 20:05

I'm interested in Pb3O4 instead. What would you experts recommend to get from Pb to Pb3O4?

Cyrus - 7-6-2005 at 16:03

This is an old topic, but I want to check a few things.
Here are the reactions. (are they correct?)

CuCO3 + 2HC2H3O2 -> Cu(C2H3O2)2 + CO2 + H2O

~

Cu(C2H3O2)2 + Pb -> Pb(C2H3O2)2 + Cu

~

Pb(C2H3O2)2 + 2NaOH -> Pb(OH)2 + 2NaC2H3O2

~

Pb(OH)2 + NaOCl -> PbO2 + NaCl +H2O

~

Also, about the procedure; I took 15 g of CuCO3 and added a lot (perhaps a liter) of 5% acetic acid. (plain vinegar) I'm not sure that this concentration of acid is enough to dissolve the CuCO3 properly. It dissolved very slowly, making almost no noticable bubbles. After a few days, there was plenty of CuCO3 left at the bottom, but there also seemed to be plenty of acetic acid. (it still smelled very strongly) How long ought this to take?

Also, when I added lead turnings, small amounts of white powder quickly formed. I don't think it was lead acetate, because its solubility is about 60g/100 ml of water.

Perhaps it was a double salt of copper hydroxide/ acetate, as chemoleo mentioned much earlier in this thread.

Anyways, the lead acetate will be mixed with NaOH to form lead hydroxide- this should precipitate, but should redissolve with extra hydroxide added. Then I'll use plain old bleach to make the PbO2. As far as I can see, exact amounts aren't needed in these reactions.

Yes, I'm being very careful with lead.

And the PbO2 will be used to smear on ceramic anodes. (I'll also dry soaking the anodes with lead acetate and then putting them in bleach, as axehandle did.)

chemoleo - 7-6-2005 at 16:26

Try dissolving it in HCl instead. I'd bet a euro or two :D that this will work. Acetic acid may just not be aggressive enough, CuCO3 is fairly stable and is used in paints, hence i assume if somewhat crystallised, or hydroxy carbonates (double salt) it is more active. It won't help you directly with your problem, but at least you know that you got the Cu carbonate all right. Well you could always preciptate from the CuCl2 solution again, with carbonate or hydroxide, and dissolve the now *activated* hydroxide or carbonate in HAc. Bit of a waste of reagents, but they are all cheap :)

Did you try boiling the carbonate in HAc?
Really though you ought to use pure HAc (obtainable here as 25% concentrate), you are introducing all sorts of impurities here, including other organic acids!

On a separate note, I remember that CuO wouldnt dissolve that greatly in HAc, and NiO takes a long time in strong HNO3 to dissolve. I reckon it's just due to the relative chemical stability of the (oxy) carbonates.

Re. the white powder - it could be Cu(1+).
It can form from Cu(2+) + Cu --> 2 Cu(1+). It should disappear w. time. Otherwise it's impurities, in either the lead or your reagents, or, as you say, some hydroxy-acetate precipitate. My commercial batch is insoluble too :( - which is a big pain btw, pure lead acetate crystals, as nice and heave as they are, become first turbid, then white on the surface. I couldnt find a to keep them shiny.

PS For conventions sake, acetic acid is CH3COOH - carboxylic acids R-COOH in general... makes it easier to read :P

[Edited on 8-6-2005 by chemoleo]

axehandle - 7-6-2005 at 16:41

Cyrus: When I performed this procedure, I used 24% HAc, and I had to stir the mix of HAc and CuCO<SUB>3</SUB> for quite some time for all of the carbonate to be converted to acetate / dissolve. Lots of CO<SUB>2</SUB> was produced. Perhaps it's your low HAc concentration?

Also, you don't have to basify the Pb(Ac)<SUB>2</SUB> solution with NaOH prior to mixing it with bleach -- the bleach contains more than enough NaOH to do the job. The same seemed to be the case with bleaching powder (Ca(OCl)<SUB>2</SUB>;), although the base there obviously is Ca(OH)<SUB>2</SUB>.

Quince - 7-6-2005 at 22:43

I found lead oxide, lead acetate, and other lead salts here:
http://stores.ebay.com/CHEMSAVERS-INC/
You could ask the seller if he'd consider shipping to you. I need acetate myself, so I'm hoping he'll send me some to Canada.

BTW, is there a route from lead acetate to lead nitrate?

[Edited on 8-6-2005 by Quince]

neutrino - 8-6-2005 at 02:25

You could try this method: Precipitate the lead with a base, wash away the soluble byproducts, then redissolve your precipitate in nitric acid.

Cyrus - 8-6-2005 at 16:39

Chemoleo, I probably should have used nice conc. acetic acid, but I don't have any. I'll have to get some, any suggestions?

I added a whole bunch of lead, and after 2 days the blue color is almost all gone. (I stirred a few times a day) But there is now a lot of very fine white powder floating around when I stir it. (The pH is between 3 and 4) I guess I'll just wait around and see if it goes away, or I could always filter it out.

Now here's a dumb question; when I've got my lead acetate solution is there any particularly safe way to turn that into lead acetate crystals. (I don't like the idea of boiling it, as when I boiled sodium acetate I could really smell the sodium acetate coming off) :(
Slow evaporation?

axehandle - 8-6-2005 at 17:49

I boiled in about 10dm<SUP>3</SUP> of Pb(Ac)<SUB>2</SUB> solution, and I'm alive...

I boiled it down to a syrupy fluid which I poured into several paper plates (the kind you eat from). I then placed the paper plates on ice, whereas the Pb(Ac)<SUB>2</SUB> crystallized out. Then I dumped the crystals + remaining fluid (discolored by impurities) into a funnel equipped with a coffee filter; the discolored fluid went through the funnel, the Pb(Ac)<SUB>2</SUB> crystals (big lumps of them actually) stayed in it. The result looked pretty pure, and the procedure is repeatable...

Someone probably has something not so nice to say about my lab skills, but my method worked... :)

[Edited on 2005-6-9 by axehandle]

[Edited on 2005-6-9 by axehandle]

Pyridinium - 8-6-2005 at 17:58

Axehandle, not sure if you're still interested in electrolytic PbO2, but I found an article that is interesting:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Campus/5361/chlorate/...

Maybe you guys have already seen this?

Heh

Cyrus - 8-6-2005 at 19:43

"I boiled in about 10dm3 of Pb(Ac)2 solution, and I'm alive... "

Yeah, but I want to be alive and SANE...:P

I was thinking, perhaps it's not even necessary to get lead acetate crystals. One could get PbO2 just by adding bleach. As for using the lead acetate "as is" for electroplating, I don't know if the impurities would hurt anything though.

edit-
~
Impurities in the bath, such as iron or cobalt compounds, can drastically reduce the strength, density, and surface smoothness of lead dioxide deposits
~

This was taken from the link right above this post.

[Edited on 9-6-2005 by Cyrus]

Taaie-Neuskoek - 9-6-2005 at 01:20

Quote:

I was thinking, perhaps it's not even necessary to get lead acetate crystals. One could get PbO2 just by adding bleach. As for using the lead acetate "as is" for electroplating, I don't know if the impurities would hurt anything though.

If you want to be sane, note that bleach + acid = chlorine gas.

neutrino - 9-6-2005 at 02:30

This shouldn’t be a problem. The reaction between bleach and acetic acid is very slow and gives almost no chlorine.

Cyrus - 9-6-2005 at 14:31

Also, the NaOH in the bleach should neutralize the acid. When I took about 0.5 of a jam jar's worth of lead acetate solution and added bleach, it turned a clear light green at first, then yellow, then red, and all of a sudden (within 1/5 of a second, perhaps) an orangish brown precipitate filled the entire solution. I added a bit more bleach, and it kept on getting darker brown for a few minutes. By now it has all settled to the bottom of the container, which smells very much like bleach. Now it's just a matter of decanting off the solution over and over. I wonder what I'll do with the solution (I'm collecting everything I know has even tiny amounts of lead (especially soluble forms) to dispose of properly)- it shouldn't contain any soluble lead salts, but still, to be safe....

Quince - 12-6-2005 at 00:44

Quote:
Originally posted by chemoleo
Well here it goes... the dissolution of lead metal with cheap OTC materials. I copied parts over of what I posted at E&W already:

Quote:

A while back I managed to solubilse a kilogram of lead with a neat little method. I didnt want to waste HNO3 for the dissolution, neither NH4NO3 etc. Neither did I have any existing lead salts, or lead oxide.

But I did have about 20 kg of solid lead metal, plus 10 kg of copper sulphate (CuSO4), obtained from a gardeners store.

I got it to work as follows:

1. Calcium carbonate is easily obtained, I neutralised a known amount with acetic acid (conc. vinegar), yielding a solution of calcium acetate.

2. I dissolved an equimolar amount of Copper sulphate CuSO4, and added to it the stoichiometric amount of calcium acetate. What you get is copper acetate and calcium sulphate

3. THe precipitating calcium sulphate is filtered off, then the filtrate is cooled to precipitate more CaSO4, and filtered off again. One is left with a fairly clean solution of copper acetate, which has a lovely dark green colour and tends to crystallise at the surface of the the liquid.

4. This is probably the longest step - to the solution of copper acetate, one adds a large excess of solid lead metal! the finer the lead pieces, the better (faster). Over the course of a week or two, the copper acetate colour (dark green) slowly disappears, and becomes completely colourless. What happened meanwhile is that solid copper deposited as thin sheaths on the solid lead. I found no stirring is needed during those two weeks, the copper deposited anyway.

5. The solid copper is scraped off the remaining lead, the lead pieces are taken out, and the solution is filtered once again to remove copper pieces and any more CaSO4

6. One is left with a clear solution of lead acetate. Made from 100% over the counter materials. Slow evaporation of the water in the solution leads to LARGE crystals of lead acetate, which are very heavy and slowly become milky/powdery on the surface at air!

Quote:

Follo-up: When the Ca acetate started reacting over the course of a week or two, I noticed that an insoluble yellowish substance accumulated at the side of the reaction vessel.
Thinking, oh, this must be because the HAc evaporates (which is, as I found out later, because the double salt of the hydroxid/acetate forms, plus possibly PbO), I added 500 ml of 20% HAc to the 5 litres in the reaction vessel - and promptly, the yellowish stuff disappeared, and it was a clear green (later clear altogehter) solution again.
From that point onwards, I always made sure I keep the solution acidic, with excess acetic acid!

Well axehandle, there is nothing stopping you! It's a nice and satisfying experiment. I really really hope you do not claim that you can't find lead sheets/airgun bullets/fishingweights/lead solder anywhere in Sweden! :D

PS H2O2 does not necessarily work, I think Bromic only thought it might work too!

Pages:  1