Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Phosphorus Tribromide

jimmyboy - 17-3-2008 at 13:45

Anyone have some experience with it? I was wondering how toxic it really is and if it could be reliably reduced to phosphorus - maybe with some powdered iron or another reducing agent to strip the bromine from it without alot of phosphine being formed

Polverone - 17-3-2008 at 14:20

As Sauron has mentioned before, see page 522 of the English edition of Brauer for a preparation of red phosphorus from PBr3 and mercury. It sounds laborious, expensive, and potentially hazardous, but at least it is a complete procedure given by a trustworthy publication.

garage chemist - 17-3-2008 at 16:34

I have made about 20ml of PBr3 for use as a reagent to make an alkyl bromide from an alcohol that would only form the alkene if treated with aqueous HBr (PBr3 is a very useful reagent for converting sensitive secondary and tertiary alcohols into the alkyl bromides).
It does not pose any special problems during synthesis or storage other than the fact that it hydrolyzes with moisture and oxidises to POBr3 with atmospheric oxygen, just like PCl3.

It is much easier to make than PCl3 because red P and bromine in dichloromethane can be used as a preparation method (red P and chlorine in DCM only gives PCl5).

jimmyboy - 17-3-2008 at 20:37

Sounds good - I am kind of shying away from PCl3 because of its low boiling point and toxicity - I just looked at the brauer prep for red phos from PBr3 - mercury doesn't strike me as a strong reducer at all (and it is kind of in short supply around here) a few other metals would probably work as well - with the calcium phosphide synth in brauer as well a roundabout way to phosphorus looks pretty straightforward - yields may stink though

calcium phosphate + Al -> calcium phosphide + Br2 -> PBr3 + Reduction metal -> P

MagicJigPipe - 17-3-2008 at 21:50

Quote:
I have made about 20ml of PBr3 for use as a reagent to make an alkyl bromide from an alcohol that would only form the alkene if treated with aqueous HBr...

I wonder if bromoethane (for Grignard reactions) could be obtained via HBr and ethanol with decent yields. I've read it works at least in small yields. I know it would also produce Et2O and ethene but the Et2O shouldn't be a problem for a Grignard as it will be used with the EtBr anyway. A few procedures I read a while back called for Et-MgBr but I forgot about it until I saw you mention alkyl bromides via HBr. Now I'm thinking of trying this.

Is this not a viable alternative to PBr3 if phosphorus is almost completely unavailable (as it seems to be in the US)?

garage chemist - 17-3-2008 at 22:22

Yes, of course bromoethane can be made via HBr, that's the normal method of preparation!
PBr3 is only needed for those alcohols that very readily eliminate water, and simple primary alcohols certainly don't fall into that category.
Haven't you read the isopropyl mercaptan preparation?