Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Ammonium Dynamite

IgnorantlyIntelligent - 19-10-2003 at 19:14

I did a search and came up with nothing, I then scaned through the forum and still, nothing.

I have almost all my materials for making NG and I would like to make some type of dynamite. Preferably ammonium dynamite. I was wondering if anyone had any info that would be helpful to know (stability for storage, VOD, ratio of NG/AN). Also, should I use "activated" AN, powdered, or just prilled?
I have heard brief statments about this but nothing helpful. Anything you can tell me will be greatly valued especialy instabilities due to the NG reacting with the AN (if there are any)

[Edited on 20-10-2003 by IgnorantlyIntelligent]

The Ed - 19-10-2003 at 19:39

spell it dynAmite, then it'll work

IgnorantlyIntelligent - 19-10-2003 at 20:30

Well I feel retarded. I am a very bad speller if you can't tell.
I went and did a correct search but again, nothing.
So either it isn't there or I'm a super-retarded.
If there is a thread about this, it is very old and not discussed anymore. So please keep this thread open and again any info would be awsome.

rooster - 20-10-2003 at 01:10

I can only speak from experience, because I don't have any literature on the subject handy at the time.

I have tried the AN prills from instant-ice packs, and I think they soaked the NG very well in. No problem using that. I have recently aquired some kieselguhr to try some guhr dynamite. Anyone knows how this will do compared to ammonia dynamites?

palpy - 20-10-2003 at 02:35

1) use powdered and dried AN (using prilled is just a waste of material)
2) dilute the NG with acetone before soaking it in the AN (heard it should be safer) and then let the acteone evaporate
3) use any ratio you want ;)
4) I would use blasting gelatin rather than straight NG

Iv4 - 20-10-2003 at 03:12

Whatever AN source you use its always a good idea to extract it with atleast water(unless you have the ab grade or something).No hard refernce but I remeber reading in some oldbook that ammonium dynamite is about 40% AN.

On a sidenote extract the AN from fertilzer.The extra effort is well worth the savings,specially if your going to experiment.

sorry

Polverone - 20-10-2003 at 09:05

As a rule, I discourage discussion of explosives unless the discussion centers around chemistry or the explosive in question is somewhat exotic. I realize that I have been rather lax in enforcing this rule, but the laxity ends now. For practical information about such things, scour the Google Groups archives of alt.engr.explosives, get some books from a university library, or sign up for the Explosives and Weapons Forum.