Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Looking for [2,2'-bithiophen]-5-yltrimethyl-stannane

Okaris - 13-11-2018 at 00:17

Does anyone know where to buy [2,2'-bithiophen]-5-yltrimethyl-stannane (CAS: 133144-35-1) directly? Can't find it in Sigma-Aldrich. Thanks!

EDIT: Oops. Used the wrong structure. Changed it to reflect the correct one.

[Edited on 14-11-2018 by Okaris]

j_sum1 - 13-11-2018 at 01:30

Out of curiosity, what is it useful for?

Boffis - 13-11-2018 at 03:07

The structure image doesn't correspond the the named compound. Its the 4-nitrophenyl rather than the trimethylstannyl derivative.

The answer to your question is no but have you tried TCI International?

[Edited on 13-11-2018 by Boffis]

j_sum1 - 13-11-2018 at 03:37

Quote: Originally posted by Boffis  
The structure image doesn't correspond the the named compound. Its the 4-nitrophenyl rather than the trimethylstannyl derivative.

The answer to your question is no but have you tried TCI International?

[Edited on 13-11-2018 by Boffis]

Good point. I just looked at the picture rather than reading carefully.
Interestingly, I am not seeing its full structure here either. Although is is better represented on this site. What gives?

And I would still like to know what it is used for. Organic tin has always seemed to me to be a mysterious beast.

DJF90 - 13-11-2018 at 04:12

Searching on eMolecules gives only the bis-stannylated compound as commercially available. You might have better luck making it yourself, either by selective removal of one tin group, or by starting from bithiophene and proceeding via alpha-lithiation and quenching with R3SnCl

@jsum1 - It'll be used for Pd-catalysed coupling (Stille reaction), probably to make extended pi-systems for optoelectronics-type materials. There has been a lot in the literature on such systems over the past few years.

[Edited on 13-11-2018 by DJF90]

Okaris - 13-11-2018 at 20:00

Quote: Originally posted by DJF90  
Searching on eMolecules gives only the bis-stannylated compound as commercially available. You might have better luck making it yourself, either by selective removal of one tin group, or by starting from bithiophene and proceeding via alpha-lithiation and quenching with R3SnCl

@jsum1 - It'll be used for Pd-catalysed coupling (Stille reaction), probably to make extended pi-systems for optoelectronics-type materials. There has been a lot in the literature on such systems over the past few years.

[Edited on 13-11-2018 by DJF90]

Do you know of any literature where the synthesis of the product is through removal of one tin group or the other one with alpha-lithiation? I've been searching a few literature sources and all involve overnight reactions. Preferably trying to search for one that can be done within the day.