Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Pure 100% OTC silicon oil

angelhair - 14-6-2008 at 20:08

Where can you find pure 100% OTC silicon oil?

I know the hobby shops sell shock oil that actually say "pure Silicon Oil" and "100% silicon oil", but it's not true. When you look at the MSDS you find that there are additives.

I know that you can find silicon oil almost every where, transformer oils, clutch fan lubricants, mold release, spray cans, dot5, but I haven't found any pure products OTC.

There is a company call Clearco Products that actually sells pure stuff that I've seen on the web but I haven't seen their products in my country

organometallic - 15-6-2008 at 04:24

LPchemical(s)
Mistral Fine chemicals

-=HeX=- - 18-2-2010 at 05:45

I believe the silicon oil sold for Airsoft Guns is fairly pure...

MagicJigPipe - 21-2-2010 at 09:38

I don't mean to be picky but wouldn't it be silicone oil? I have always thought silicon was the element and silicones were man-made materials that were almost always derived in some way from the element (or compounds of the element).

Silicon oil makes me think of an oil with elemental silicon in it.

Is this correct?

turd - 21-2-2010 at 15:16

You are correct. Silicon is the element, silicones are a class of polysiloxane polymers. In most other languages the element is called silicium (with varying orthography), the polymer silicon (ditto). Unfortunately this is only one out of many examples of English being an imprecise, ambiguous language with lots of weird idiosyncrasies. :( Note: I know that the pronunciation of both words is distinctly different.