Sciencemadness Discussion Board

A decent scale

raiden - 18-6-2008 at 01:23

There comes a time when one's 1 gram resolution scale is not sufficient. I am now in the market for a new one and have around 100-150 dollars to burn. Would anyone be able to push me in the direction of a company which stocks good quality microgram scales and ships internationally/to Australia.

I was browsing over an article on making a cheap electric one, but I do not trust my hands when making said device.

Many thanks.

S.C. Wack - 18-6-2008 at 02:26

Microgram? You must mean milligram. My microbalance (0.0000001-3.5000 g.) is probably 20 years old, and there is no fucking way that you are going to get it or anything like it for AU$150 from anyone ever. Unless it is stolen. The only real lab balances that you will likely find at that price are old Mettler's and Sartorius'. But you want a brand new digital scale, I bet. This would probably limit your options to wares such as those from www.myweigh.com.

raiden - 18-6-2008 at 02:33

Quote:
Originally posted by S.C. Wack
Microgram? You must mean milligram. My microbalance (0.0000001-3.5000 g.) is probably 20 years old, and there is no fucking way that you are going to get it or anything like it for AU$150 from anyone ever. Unless it is stolen. The only real lab balances that you will likely find at that price are old Mettler's and Sartorius'. But you want a brand new digital scale, I bet. This would probably limit your options to wares such as those from www.myweigh.com.

My mistake, I meant milligram.

Just checking that my late night maths is correct: +/-0.001g that's what I am looking for, right?

Can you testify for the quality of this company?

Cheers.

raiden - 18-6-2008 at 02:51

I am looking at something like this at the moment:
http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWP...

Is this a good price for a milligram scale?

I have noticed that they (0.001g scales) can be had on eBay for much cheaper, but I would say the quality would be subpar at most.

Saerynide - 18-6-2008 at 08:56

Don't buy those el cheapo ones from ebay for $10-20 bucks. They don't work - trust me. I bought one for $50 bucks and I sent it back cause it couldnt measure even a calibration weight consistently :mad:

Fleaker - 20-6-2008 at 09:07

Best to wait until you've got AU400-500 and get a decent used one like an Ohaus, Sartorius, Mettler-Toledo, or Denver. Just make sure they're internal calibration and that the balance is packaged and shipped carefully.