Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Alaska Earthquake

Abromination - 30-11-2018 at 14:10

I am quite sure that I am the only active hobby chemist in Alaska, but if there are others feel free to reach out to me. On my part, I am fine and my lab has sustained no major damage. Somehow no glass broke, although I had a large amount of caustic metal waste escape from its container. Luckily I was not in my lab during the 7.0 earthquake but if there are others around I would urge you to quickly store all glass and chemicals in a safer location.

IMG_4980.JPG - 1.6MB

j_sum1 - 30-11-2018 at 16:48

Glad to hear you're ok. That seemed like it was a pretty decent rattle. The road damage is significant. I have not heard of any casualties at this point but I bet there are a lot of people having a bit of difficulty coping with aftershocks.

Abromination - 30-11-2018 at 17:17

There are no reported casualties, although I was in school when it happened, the damage there is severe. The aftershocks have caused little damage, and I'm no longer worried about a second larger earthquake, although all of my lab equipment and chemicals are still secured in a safe place.

AJKOER - 5-12-2018 at 16:45

What happens if you now get an intense snow storm and all the land shifts are no longer visible?

That could make getting around even more problematic and dangerous!

Abromination - 5-12-2018 at 19:16

No snow is in the forcast, most major damage has been fixed. Schools have been closed all week, however and a junior high school has been relocated to my high school. We havent gotten a significant amount of snow in 4 years here.