Sciencemadness Discussion Board

ethylenediamine from ClCH2CH2Cl and NaOH?

menchaca - 14-11-2003 at 14:27

Well that is my question.. it would much easier for me tha using diclhoroethane and NH3 under high pressure. Instead of it how much pressure would be enought?
thankss

menchaca - 14-11-2003 at 14:29

sorry i had a mistake i meant from ethyleneglycol and NH4Cl

-----------------------------------

Please use the edit function!

[Edited on 15-11-2003 by vulture]

KABOOOM(pyrojustforfun) - 17-11-2003 at 13:50

you can't make EDA nor DCE with NH4Cl. I'm making an improvised method for EDA but hasn't test it yet: extract ethanolamine from dishwashing liquid add excess conc HCl plus ZnCl<sub>2</sub> and warm for some hours then cool and collect the ClCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>NH<sub>3</sub>Cl crystals. if no crystals formed then boil off some of it and try again. add the crystals to an anhydrous solution of NH<sub>3</sub> in MeOH and boil bp of MeOH is of course lower than that of EDA so distillation is a possible way of separation. you just need to work out the needed amounts.
HOCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>NH</sub>2</sub> + 2HCl <u><sup>&nbsp;ZnCl2</sup></u><s>&nbsp;></s> ClCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>NH</sub>3</sub>Cl + H<sub>2</sub>O
ClCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>NH</sub>3</sub>Cl + NH<sub>3</sub> <s>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;></s> NH<sub>4</sub>Cl + ClCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>NH</sub>2</sub>
ClCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>NH</sub>2</sub> + NH<sub>3</sub> <s>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;></s> H<sub>2</sub>NCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>NH</sub>3</sub>Cl
H<sub>2</sub>NCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>NH</sub>3</sub>Cl + NH<sub>3</sub> <s>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;></s> H<sub>2</sub>NCH<sub>2</sub>CH<sub>2</sub>NH</sub>2</sub> + NH<sub>4</sub>Cl