Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Solvent-free organic synthesis with microwaves

Ritter - 13-8-2008 at 17:18

I haven't read the full article nor could I open the 2K graphics attachment in the abstract (it was blank), but microwave chemistry under solvent-free conditions appears to offer some significant advantages to the amateur chemist given the ready availability of used & portable microwave ovens.

Quote:
Tetrahedron
Volume 58, Issue 11, 11 March 2002, Pages 2155-2162

Abstract
doi:10.1016/S0040-4020(02)00085-6
Copyright © 2002 Elsevier Science Ltd. All rights reserved.
Solvent-free preparation of amides from acids and primary amines under microwave irradiation

Laurence Perreuxa, André Loupy, and François Volatronb

a Laboratoire des Réactions Sélectives sur Supports, Université Paris-Sud, CNRS, ICMO, UMR 8615, Bâtiment 410, 91405, Orsay Cedex, France b Laboratoire de Chimie Physique, Université Paris-Sud, 91405, Orsay Cedex, France

Received 26 July 2001; revised 19 October 2001; accepted 27 December 2001. ; Available online 1 February 2002.

Abstract
Synthesis of amides via pyrolysis of the salts obtained by mixing neat primary amines and carboxylic acids were realized under solvent-free conditions within short times and appreciable yields under microwave activation. The evident specific non-thermal microwave effects are attributed to polarity increase during the course of the reaction, due to development of a dipole in the transition state.

Synthesis of amides via pyrolysis of corresponding salts obtained by mixing neat primary amines and carboxylic acids were realized under solvent-free conditions within short times and appreciable yields under microwave activation. Specific non-thermal microwave effects are evidenced and attributed to enhancements in microwave–materials interaction due to polarity increase (formation of a polar transition state) during the course of the reaction.

I'm curious about the reaction mechanism involved as they appear to claim that only primary amines undergo this reaction. Alkyl, aryl & alkyl primary amines undergo this reaction.

This appears to be related to the Nylon-6,6 industrial synthesis that pyrolyzes the adipic acid salt of 1,6-heamethylenediamine.

Since this reaction only eliminates a molecule of water, I'm curious about whether salts of secondary amines could be made to work.

[Edited on 13-8-2008 by Ritter]

[Edited on 14-8-2008 by Ritter]

solo - 17-8-2008 at 08:05

Quote:
Originally posted by Ritter
I haven't read the full article nor could I open the 2K graphics attachment in the abstract (it was blank), but microwave chemistry under solvent-free conditions appears to offer some significant advantages to the amateur chemist given the ready availability of used & portable microwave ovens.

Quote:
Tetrahedron
Volume 58, Issue 11, 11 March 2002, Pages 2155-2162

Abstract
doi:10.1016/S0040-4020(02)00085-6
Copyright © 2002 Elsevier Science Ltd. All rights reserved.
Solvent-free preparation of amides from acids and primary amines under microwave irradiation

Laurence Perreuxa, André Loupy, and François Volatronb

a Laboratoire des Réactions Sélectives sur Supports, Université Paris-Sud, CNRS, ICMO, UMR 8615, Bâtiment 410, 91405, Orsay Cedex, France b Laboratoire de Chimie Physique, Université Paris-Sud, 91405, Orsay Cedex, France

Received 26 July 2001; revised 19 October 2001; accepted 27 December 2001. ; Available online 1 February 2002.

Abstract
Synthesis of amides via pyrolysis of the salts obtained by mixing neat primary amines and carboxylic acids were realized under solvent-free conditions within short times and appreciable yields under microwave activation. The evident specific non-thermal microwave effects are attributed to polarity increase during the course of the reaction, due to development of a dipole in the transition state.

Synthesis of amides via pyrolysis of corresponding salts obtained by mixing neat primary amines and carboxylic acids were realized under solvent-free conditions within short times and appreciable yields under microwave activation. Specific non-thermal microwave effects are evidenced and attributed to enhancements in microwave–materials interaction due to polarity increase (formation of a polar transition state) during the course of the reaction.

I'm curious about the reaction mechanism involved as they appear to claim that only primary amines undergo this reaction. Alkyl, aryl & alkyl primary amines undergo this reaction.

This appears to be related to the Nylon-6,6 industrial synthesis that pyrolyzes the adipic acid salt of 1,6-heamethylenediamine.

Since this reaction only eliminates a molecule of water, I'm curious about whether salts of secondary amines could be made to work.

[Edited on 13-8-2008 by Ritter]

[Edited on 14-8-2008 by Ritter]

..........read and see the whole thing ....Loupy also has a book all dealing with microwave chemistry...I have it if you want it just say so......solo

Attachment: Solvent-free preparation of amides from acids and primary amines under microwave irradiation .pdf (144kB)
This file has been downloaded 2309 times