Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Cyanide from Cyanuric acid

Siddy - 1-11-2008 at 21:13

Is there a known method for producing a cyanide salt from Cyanuric acid?

Cyanuric acid is easitly made by heating TCCA to release the chlorine, or by heating UREA to release ammonia gas.

As it is a cyclic compounds of cyanic acid (HOCN) im sure the cyanate salt could easily be made, but what about cyanide?

chemrox - 1-11-2008 at 23:13

CN salts are cheap; why would you want to do such a thing?

Siddy - 1-11-2008 at 23:43

They may be cheap, but they are restricted.
A lot of people are interested in making cyanide, and i thought there could be a way from cyanuric acid.

not_important - 2-11-2008 at 00:18

Use the search engine, or Google restricted to this domain, or just look through old threads, the topic has been covered in the past.

chemrox - 2-11-2008 at 21:12

"Google restricted to this domain" how do you do that?

kclo4 - 2-11-2008 at 22:16

I think you can just do something like this in the search bar.

Site:sciencemadness.org Cyanide

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=f...

Hopefully that link shows you what I did.

You can do a lot of other things, such as Filetype:PDF and other things to find PDF documents, Music files, etc.

Nicodem - 3-11-2008 at 00:52

Please search this forum before opening new threads. This topic has been discussed to depth in the cyanide thread already. Alkali cyanates are easily made from cyanuric acid by either heating alkali cyanurates to >200°C or heating cyanuric acid with alkali carbonates to >300°C. It is the reduction of alkali cyanates to alkaly cyanides that is problematic. All the references and patents are already cited in the aforementioned thread.

Also, cyanuric acid is not "easitly made by heating TCCA to release the chlorine". Heating trichloroisocyanuric acid (TCCA) above its mp causes its decomposition to all kind of nasty gasses, but obviously no cyanuric acid can ever form as there simply is no H in TCCA. TCCA needs to be either hydrolysed or reduced to yield cyanuric acid (which can generally be bought from the same source as TCCA anyway).