Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Chemistry of selenium, not the well-known stuff...

woelen - 9-11-2008 at 14:19

I have done some experimenting with the element selenium and have written a webpage about this. The reactions are quite interesting, but I could not find any literature, explaining what I observe. I have given my own explanation.

Comments on the explanation are welcome. If it can be backed up with literature that would be nice, if there are errors in it, then I also would like to know so that it can be corrected.

Here follows the webpage:

http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/exps/se_chemistry...

I think that even without explanation this is quite interesting on its own.

Jor - 9-11-2008 at 15:30

Good to see a new webpage again.

This is a very interesting one, this is the chemistry I like!

I wonder what tellurium would do, when used instead of selenium. I might try it myself, as I have all the needed materials.

I would be very wary when performing experiments where H2Se might evolve. That stuff is mch more toxic than phosgene, HCN or even arsine!!!

chemrox - 9-11-2008 at 19:17

Have you looked at the symmetry aspects of these results? My inorganic, such as it was, was based on group theory.

woelen - 10-11-2008 at 00:11

@Jor: I also tried with Te, but that does not work. Te does not dissolve in solutions of Na2S, not even on strong boiling. I'll modify the website, making a remark that this does not work for Te.

@chemrox: I do see the similarities of some of my results, but how should I relate this to group theory? Deeper insights are always welcome.

EDIT: Webpage is modified, a remark about the non-reactivity of tellurium is added at the end of the page.

[Edited on 10-11-08 by woelen]

kazaa81 - 10-11-2008 at 05:58

I think it would come handy to look at
Greenwood, N. N.; Earnshaw, A. Chemical Elements; 2nd edition
I remember it had a nice section about sulfur and selenium chemistry