Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Boatload of labglass but what is it?

givemeliberty - 12-11-2008 at 02:39

This may not be the right section to post it in but it is 5:30 in the morning and I have about three braincells still kicking.
I bought a van load of lab glass, took out what I wanted to keep and I'm unloading the rest on Ebay and any place else I can. The problem is I have a few pieces that I don't have a clue about. I took a picture of some of it and I hope I can attach it. If anybody wants to see what I have on Ebay, the seller ID is bach8351.
I'm trying to organize all this stuff and get a list together so if anyone wants to look at the list, pm me, I think.

IMGA0001.JPG - 245kB

starman - 12-11-2008 at 03:09

Mostly chromatography related

Duke - 12-11-2008 at 07:06

Chromatography columns on the bottom, the cone shaped ones on top look like seperatory funnels with the valve missing. I've never seen the spherical shaped ones though.

matei - 12-11-2008 at 09:53

The spherical ones may be solvent reservoirs used for flash chromatography (they are attached at the top of the column). The columns in the picture are used for medium pressure liquid chromatography (e.g. for Pharmacia preparative chromatographs). The two teflon plungers on the right are used for gel-like stationary phases (for affinity chromatography or maybe ion exchange chromatography), which tend to swell in solvents, so the volume of the column has to be adjusted accordingly.

bfesser - 12-11-2008 at 11:53

The pear shaped ones are probably also solvent reservoirs for the columns.

givemeliberty - 12-11-2008 at 13:27

Well, I came to the right place for answers, didn't I? Do they have enough value to even bother putting them on Ebay? You have no idea how many hours I've spent trying to find out what they were. I'm a computer tech, not a lab tech.
I have some odd looking flasks, too, if you don't mind too much.
The large flask has an orifice broken off but I have at least one other one to get rid of.
And guys, thank you.

Project2.png - 2.5MB

Panache - 12-11-2008 at 18:22

the red connections on the columns are a system created to allow qvf glass to be more easily connected /cf the standard flange/insert system usually used. I am almost positive however that it would not allow for the normal 3atm of pressure qvf gear is specced for. QVF glass, of course, is designed for production chemistry or pilot plant, a 5l round bottom costing around $1500, a 80L around $16,000. Pharma companies can afford this though.
Many chromatography people will use QVF lengths as it allows considerable pressure, the wall thickness on the glass being huge /cf normal lab glass.

Blind Angel - 13-11-2008 at 07:55

On the second picture I see refrigerant and what could look like cold finger. They probably have some value, I won't pronounce on the value though. Worth putting on ebay though.

octave - 14-11-2008 at 21:10

In the second picture There looks to be the bottom part of a Kuderna Danish concentrator system, which I still have no clue how it works or uses for it.

givemeliberty - 16-12-2008 at 02:27

Originally posted by octave
In the second picture There looks to be the bottom part of a Kuderna Danish concentrator system, which I still have no clue how it works or uses for it.

I Googled it, read a few pages and I still don't know what it is or what it does.

bfesser - 16-12-2008 at 13:44

Check your email. I've sent you a short description.

Also, read this: