Sciencemadness Discussion Board

sulfosalicylic acid and Fe chelation

Swede - 1-1-2009 at 08:09

My goal is removal of all Fe ions in a plating bath (yes I am yet another obsessed PbO2 seeker) and sulfosalicylic acid was claimed to chelate or otherwise trap free Fe ions. I am not familiar with this compound. A google search yielded nil on the synthesis. I do have salycilic acid, and my gut tells me a bit of sulfuric is involved.

Anyone know anything about sulfosalycilic acid, or know of a way to remove Fe ions from a mildly acidic (nitric) plating bath? As always, TY

Rosco Bodine - 3-1-2009 at 12:46

http://www.mpbio.com/product_info.php/united_states/&pro...

The stuff is cheap enough that synthesis would be academic, but I haven't found the synthesis described.
It is a common biomed reagent used in urine testing.

The iron can be removed by precipitation and this reagent is used for color testing a sample and detection of however complete was was the removal of the iron via precipitation and filtering.

[Edited on 3-1-2009 by Rosco Bodine]

Ozone - 3-1-2009 at 13:21

For larger applications, I would go with a strong acid (sulfonated styrene-DVB copolymer) exchange resin. It has a high capacity and is easily regenerated.

Cheers,

O3

Swede - 9-1-2009 at 08:09

Rosco and O3, thank you for the advice. As far as the sulfosalicylic acid, probably best to buy altho it would be an interesting synthesis.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozone
For larger applications, I would go with a strong acid (sulfonated styrene-DVB copolymer) exchange resin. It has a high capacity and is easily regenerated.

Cheers,

O3

Hmm, this is not something I am familiar with... more research is required! Thanks! :)

[Edited on 9-1-2009 by Swede]