Sciencemadness Discussion Board

deflagurating compositions

IgnorantlyIntelligent - 1-12-2003 at 16:06

I wanted to know if anyone new of any compositions for a low explosive similar to black powder that can be made from Ammonium Nitrate.
I have read of AN/charcoal or AN/epoxy resin as being used for high powered rocket fuel compositions.

When making low explosives like black powder I always fail. I try like hell to use pure ingrediants. I activate my AN so that it is totaly pure and no wax remains in it. I have always just grinded or diapered the ingrediants together like flash powder.
Nothings works for me(unless I'm making RDX or Fox-7) doesnt it figure that "hard" synthesises are easy and "easy" ones are hard

AN is used in many homemade rocket fuel compositions like the one used to propel the porta-potty several hundred feet into the air with a 50 pound rocket engine at the last hill-billy-rocket festival in mississippi or where ever it was.
Any tried and true formulas would be great. thanks!

Haggis - 1-12-2003 at 16:20

The rocketry competition you speak of was held in Kansas, and IIRC, the Port-a-Potty was shot with a black powder engine, of the high sizes such as K. Experimental rockets mostly consisted of Ammonium Perchlorate, also, but there may have been some AN ones that I missed.

The charcoal/AN you mentioned is called Ammonupulver or something similar. I believe it was used as a rifle propellant in France back many years ago. The burn rate might not be the quickest, as it is used as a propellant, not a quick burning burst powder.

I am sure there is some information somewhere of converting AN to a more usable nitrate salt. Take up a search for it.

The_Davster - 1-12-2003 at 20:44

congrats on FOX-7:cool: you are the first person who ive heard of making it.

vulture - 2-12-2003 at 01:27

Like mentioned before, discussions like these are being discouraged. Read http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1169

Closed.