Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Ideas for Cold Weather Chemistry, Unlimited Chilling is Free in Winter take advantage of it

beerwiz - 28-12-2018 at 14:51

What chemistry do you do when it's cold outside?

I take advantage of the cold winter weather by making chloroform. I can cool hundreds of gallons of bleach outdoors in the cold for FREE. Then just add some acetone, and voila, I have chloroform!

Try doing this in the freezer! I can barely fit 3 gallons of bleach in my freezer while I can fit thousands of gallons if need be of bleach outdoors.

[Edited on 28-12-2018 by beerwiz]

Herr Haber - 3-1-2019 at 09:23

Distillations of course !

I also take more liberties when venting gasses outside during winter.

Vomaturge - 3-1-2019 at 10:08

I've tried freezing the water out of 3% H2O2. It supercooled, froze suddenly, and made a ton (not literally, BW!) of tiny ice particles, that were "damp" with concentrated peroxide. I couldn't really separate it, which was fine since I really didn't have a need for stronger hydrogen peroxide and just wanted to see what would happen. Tapping the test tube (on a -12C day) and watching the supercooled liquid become slush was awesome!

I've also benefited from it when handling butane and such. Everything vaporizes less.

Making chloroform from hundreds of gallons of bleach? Why on Earth would you want to do that? What's the point in having so much chloroform?:o

Anyhow, hope you're having a happy New Year, and enjoying being able to work in a cold space you can walk into. There's a lot of experiments it helps with.

morganbw - 3-1-2019 at 10:18

I don't live in a cold enough environment to take advantage of the cold most of the time.
Cold snaps of course, but they do not seem to stay long term.

Other than dealing with a few volatiles easier, I do not see much benefit from the cold.

Just me:)

Elrik - 4-1-2019 at 10:55

One project I have planned is making hünig's base
Isopropylamine bp 32.4º
Isopropyl bromide bp 59.4º
Ethyl bromide bp 34.4º
Unlimited coolant: Priceless

XeonTheMGPony - 4-1-2019 at 16:31

out side temp average in winter -20c to -40 (-62c peak(Thank Fing hell that is rare!))

So I do most the nitric acid and halogen gas distillations and solvent purification.

mackolol - 5-1-2019 at 13:59

Nitration goes really well when it's cold outside. Make some explosives or nitro aromatics. You can also play around with Fenton reagent.

myr - 5-1-2019 at 14:04

Trimethylsulfonium bromide!