Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Sertralone

Sriraman - 23-4-2009 at 23:28

Alpha naphthol ondenses with 1:2 Diichlorobenzene (used as Reagent and solvent) in presence of Aluminium chloride to give 4-(3,4-dichlorophenyl)-3,4-dihydronaphthalen-1(2H)-one (A) and 4-(2,3-dichlorophenyl)-3,4-dihydronaphthalen-1(2H)-one(B). (A) is the required product formed in 85% and (B) is formed to the tune of 15%.

Can some one suggest methods to improve selectivty of (A) and effective methods of separation.

Sriraman

stoichiometric_steve - 23-4-2009 at 23:43

That, again, sounds like a biz contractor asking to be helped out with making bigger $$$. Did you check that title up left? It says "amateur experimentalism".

Nicodem - 24-4-2009 at 02:33

Indeed, I certainly do not like to see industrial researchers - who are paid to do their literature searches and experimental work - to abuse of this forum members to do their job. Sriraman, all your posting history is about industrial chemistry while this is a forum for amateur chemistry - do you fail to see the moral conflict here? For a noncontributing member you ask quite too much. But what I find even more annoying is that you opened a thread in the Organic section without providing even the most basic reference in relation to your problem. :mad: Now, that is really annoying!
For now I will tolerate your profit related question, but I'm moving this to the Beginnings section where it belongs due to the improperly presented problem.