Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Active Nickel, not Raney's method

watson.fawkes - 2-6-2009 at 01:33

While reading on another topic, I came across the following patent that I imagine others here will be interested in: U.S. Pat. No. 3418258 PRODUCTION OF HIGHLY ACTIVE METALS OF THE IRON GROUP. The basic technique is aqueous-phase oxidation following by reduction of the metal in a hydrogen furnace. The two examples are nickel powder and sintered, porous nickel plate. The catalytic activity of these materials can be regenerated by another hydrogen reduction.

chemrox - 21-3-2016 at 14:07

I just found this looking for Raney Nickel. It's very interesting but wouldn't Ni-carbonyl be more costly than porous Ni?

aga - 21-3-2016 at 15:44

Is 'activated' a general term for 'Huge Surface Area', same as 'Activated Carbon' ?

chemrox - 21-3-2016 at 15:54

Not necessarily. You might also have to reduce it with H2. As in the patent.

aga - 21-3-2016 at 16:13

What for ? to get a stack of H into the C or to magically 'activate' it ?

What is this 'Activation' ?

It is not Magic : it is some process of transforming the material into a useful form.

This is a Chemistry forum, where amateur (and otherwise) people talk about stuff.

So, what exactly constitutes this supernatural 'Activation' ?

"i don't know" is an acceptable answer.

"do it by this process that i've done myself" is a much much better one.

"look at this magical patent" is just lame.

HeYBrO - 22-3-2016 at 01:18

aga: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalyst_support#Activation_of... --> since they are stable, they aren't reactive (some catalyst sites can be blocked, for instance) so you have to reactivate them so they are catalytically active again.

chemrox - 22-3-2016 at 14:05

Thanks HeYBrO. @aga Please look it up before shooting questions from the hip. You've been around long enough to know better. Were you drunk (again)? This isn't meant to be hostile as I have posted drunk too.