Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Chemical suppliers that sell to individuals?

Yosef - 2-1-2019 at 15:42

I've been trying to obtain some retinoic acid. I'm trying to find a place that doesn't require a business address or a university affiliation for purchase. Any suggestions?

DavidJR - 2-1-2019 at 18:51

Where are you located?

http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Lab_suppliers

Yosef - 2-1-2019 at 20:28

Southern Maine

Looking to buy Retinoic Acid (all trans or cis-9)

Yosef - 3-1-2019 at 03:19

What company will sell this chemical to an individual?

lordcookies24 - 3-1-2019 at 08:45

This should be in the Reagents and Apparatus Acquisition forum

Looking for a supplier that seeks retinoic acid to individuals

Yosef - 3-1-2019 at 09:17

I've been trying to get my hands on 5 grams of retinoic acid but most places don't sell to individuals. Any help?

morganbw - 3-1-2019 at 10:53

Quote: Originally posted by lordcookies24  

Excuse me, your post count is small, how do you know these mysteries of this forum.

Just curious, your style is like another here.

lordcookies24 - 3-1-2019 at 11:05

Quote: Originally posted by morganbw  
Quote: Originally posted by lordcookies24  

Excuse me, your post count is small, how do you know these mysteries of this forum.

Just curious, your style is like another here.

I am very familiar with forums of this type. Even tho I only signed up yesterday, it feels pretty familiar. The only things I have to adjust too is the rules and etiquette which are unique to each forums

edit: punctuation

[Edited on 3-1-2019 by lordcookies24]

Thoughts on purchasing chemicals through Alibaba?

Yosef - 3-1-2019 at 11:17

They sell bulk quantities of chemicals at insanely low prices. Does anyone here have experience with them? I'm considering buying 5 grams of this product:

https://m.alibaba.com/product/718113071/High-Purity-retinoic...

[Edited on 3-1-2019 by Yosef]

BOBardment - 3-1-2019 at 12:11

Quote: Originally posted by Yosef  
They sell bulk quantities of chemicals and insanely low prices. Does anyone here have experience with them? I'm considering buy 5 grams of this product:

https://m.alibaba.com/product/718113071/High-Purity-retinoic...

Make sure you do your research and don't trust reviews.
You can find a huge amount of people who want to scam you, a huge amount of people who will do anything for money, but you are taking the blame if the package explodes, and a small amount of cheap and amazing products.

happyfooddance - 3-1-2019 at 12:19

Alibaba has a trade assurance program like paypal, if you order through that your money will be protected. Basically they don't get paid until you "o.k." the product.

I order a lot of stuff from China (one of the world's largest natural flavor suppliers is Fuzhou Farwell), and from about 6 or so suppliers through alibaba. Stuff is ridiculously cheap compared to similar quality products from the states.

The supplier you posted looks legit, and they do a fair volume on alibaba so that is a good sign.

Yosef - 3-1-2019 at 12:23

Have the products you purchased seem to be pretty high quality? I just don't want to risk being sold fool's retinoic acid and then botching my entire experiment.

happyfooddance - 3-1-2019 at 12:35

Have the products you purchased seem to be pretty high quality? I just don't want to risk being sold fool's retinoic acid and then botching my entire experiment.

Very high quality, but you always have to vet your product.

In my case, everything I get is food grade, in your case it might be the same but the supplier has to be registered with (and be available for inspection by) the FDA to export food or cosmetics to the U.S. It doesn't guarantee a good product but it adds a little accountability and ensures that the market isn't a complete shit-show.

Let me see if any of my suppliers have retinoic acid...

Yosef - 3-1-2019 at 12:37

Great. Thanks for the info. I'll need this product within a month's time. Is shipping usually a long process if it's to the US?

happyfooddance - 3-1-2019 at 12:41

Great. Thanks for the info. I'll need this product within a month's time. Is shipping usually a long process if it's to the US?

Depends on whether or not you order around chinese holidays!

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Skin-Care-Tretinoin-P...

This is a supplier I order from, they have excellent products, their MOQ is 1 kilo on this product though.

I never order under a kilo of anything though, alibaba is kind of a bulk marketplace.

Yosef - 3-1-2019 at 12:47

Yeah, thanks for the link but I really only need 5 grams of this stuff. Fingers crossed that my supplier is reliable. Not sure what I would do with a whole kilo!

Yosef - 3-1-2019 at 12:56

I guess another issue is that retinoic acid should be stored ideally at 4 degrees F. So I wonder how much a long shipping delay will affect its stability.

fusso - 3-1-2019 at 13:40

I guess another issue is that retinoic acid should be stored ideally at 4 degrees F.
u sure?

Yosef - 3-1-2019 at 13:46

I've seen a couple suppliers cite that temperature for ideal storage but I'm not totally sure what ideal storage means. I mean if it can go a month in dark conditions at room temperature without a huge loss in stability, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Ubya - 3-1-2019 at 14:19

I've seen a couple suppliers cite that temperature for ideal storage but I'm not totally sure what ideal storage means. I mean if it can go a month in dark conditions at room temperature without a huge loss in stability, I wouldn't be too concerned.

well it's winter, i don't think shipping containers are heated, hou can be sure it won't be at 20 °C for long (but 4°C quite probable)

Phosphor-ing - 3-1-2019 at 16:22

Post your request to
Sciencemadness Discussion Board » Fundamentals » Reagents and Apparatus Acquisition » New chemicals for sale !
Mario840 may be able to help.

ScienceHideout - 3-1-2019 at 17:06

I've always wanted to try ordering from Alibaba, but do you think that purchasing chemicals from China would cause attention from U.S. Customs?

j_sum1 - 3-1-2019 at 18:00

Posting the same question four times will not give you faster or better answers. Please don't do this again, Yousef.
/mod

It looks like you have a few decent leads. Mario gets consistently good feedback from his customers and stocks some unusual stuff. I would follow up that idea. If he can't get it he will likely point you in the right direction.

monolithic - 3-1-2019 at 18:06

Quote: Originally posted by ScienceHideout  
I've always wanted to try ordering from Alibaba, but do you think that purchasing chemicals from China would cause attention from U.S. Customs?

I'm not sure what you mean by "cause attention." US Customs can and does open reagent bottles to take a sample for laboratory analysis.

Yosef - 3-1-2019 at 20:41

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Posting the same question four times will not give you faster or better answers. Please don't do this again, Yousef.
/mod

It looks like you have a few decent leads. Mario gets consistently good feedback from his customers and stocks some unusual stuff. I would follow up that idea. If he can't get it he will likely point you in the right direction.

Sorry about that. I just posted to that thread--thanks!

ScienceHideout - 3-1-2019 at 21:55

Quote: Originally posted by monolithic  
Quote: Originally posted by ScienceHideout  

I'm not sure what you mean by "cause attention." US Customs can and does open reagent bottles to take a sample for laboratory analysis.

Basically, I don't want this to happen.

This was just for some household items that could be used to make TATP... which is not what the poster intended to do. I know that the obvious response is to "avoid buying things that can be used to do bad things." Easier said than done. Just about anything can be misused! Case in point: stuff innocuous as H2O2 or acetone.

[Edited on 4-1-2019 by ScienceHideout]