Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Time to get rid of some chlorate and perchlorate

12AX7 - 2-6-2009 at 21:09

For sale: my stock of chlorates and perchlorates.

I still have about 20 pounds of NaClO3, 10 pounds KClO3, 7 pounds NaClO4 (hydrated) and some more in solution, and some powdery KClO4 as well.

The chlorate is $5/lb crude, $7/lb refined (I have a few pounds of white-as-snow KClO3, good for pyrotechnics), and $10/lb for the perchlorate (or something similar for the solution, I'll see).

I'm never going to use this much. It needs to move!

Tim

FrankRizzo - 3-6-2009 at 12:49

Cut your prices in half, and maybe you'll get some interest.

Jor - 3-6-2009 at 14:35

I think these prices are good.

I think that shipping such known oxidisers widely used in pyro will get you into trouble if caught.

1281371269 - 3-6-2009 at 14:45

They will indeed. He'll just have to make sure he doesn't get caught...
Actually it's probably fine - the chances of them picking up on a few parcels out of millions upon millions is small indeed.

Fleaker - 3-6-2009 at 16:04

Prices are fine.

I've got stuff off of Tim before and it was good. He also shipped responsibly (ORM-D) since this stuff is in fact shippable.

FrankRizzo - 3-6-2009 at 19:01

If you fellas are paying over $10/lb for commercial perchlorate (that you *know* is free of impurities), you need to network more.

hissingnoise - 4-6-2009 at 11:15

Tim, if I were in the US I'd take the NaClO4 off your hands, but shipping to Europe would be on the high side.
BTW, it's good to see you back on the board. . .
On a side-note, what kind of anodes did you use?

DJF90 - 4-6-2009 at 11:21

I'm pretty sure Tim documented his process on his web page, the link to which, happens to be in his signature ;) Although last I remember he was electroplating platinum onto titanium... How'd that go?

hissingnoise - 4-6-2009 at 13:00

Quote: Originally posted by DJF90  
I'm pretty sure Tim documented his process on his web page.

Are you joking?; last time I went there I missed two appointments, just like that. . .

12AX7 - 4-6-2009 at 19:36

Yes, I used platinized titanium. I produced a fair quantity of perchlorate, but the anodes did not stand up well, peeling after about a week of use. I haven't had any luck recovering the platinum from the associated waste (black goo), so it ended up being a somewhat expensive failure.

Tim