Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Are metallic bonds a form of covalent bond?

dolimitless - 13-6-2009 at 18:47

What bonding type is metallic bonding considered to be?

querjek - 13-6-2009 at 18:49

Metals bonding to what?

dolimitless - 13-6-2009 at 18:49

I know covalent bonds are generally between to non-metals sharing their electrons. In metallic bonding, the two metals are sharing electrons with all the metals atoms, so is it considered to a type of covalent bonding?

UnintentionalChaos - 13-6-2009 at 19:20

No, google "electron sea model." It's more like complete delocalization of electrons throughout the solid. This ability to move anywhere accounts for the conductivity of metals. A covalent bond focuses on the interactions between two specific atoms and how the electrons are distributed between them. When electrons can go anywhere, it can't quite be called covalent anymore.

However, I suspect that the bonding in an isolated metal-metal bond is considered to be be covalent. For example, the Hg-Hg bond in Hg(I) compounds.

[Edited on 6-14-09 by UnintentionalChaos]

dolimitless - 13-6-2009 at 19:49

metallic bonding is a property of metals to metals

JohnWW - 13-6-2009 at 20:11

Yes, usually transition metals forming delta bonds, utilizing d orbitals, to each other. Some complexes containing two atoms of Re, which has 7 available valence electrons, have been found to have triple and quadruple Re-Re bonds.

dolimitless - 13-6-2009 at 21:11

UnintentionalChaos, thanks for the great explanation. Makes perfect sense now!

12AX7 - 15-6-2009 at 07:52

Metallic bonds also have much higher coordination order, 8 or 12 nearest neighbors for instance. I suppose this becomes possible when all atoms simply throw their electrons into the sea.

Tim