Sciencemadness Discussion Board

alpha-keto acids and hydrazone formation/wolff-kishner stuffs

Rattata2 - 22-6-2009 at 23:30

Eh, forgot to change the pass on my other account and lost the email :p

Anyways, I understand that ketones will react with hydrazine and substituted hydrazines to form a hydrazone, and that this can be subsequently reduced to an alkane.

My question is whether an alpha-keto acid (such as pyruvic acid) would react with a hydrazine-containing compound as well forming the hydrazone intermediate, or would the carboxylic acid group would get in the way and cause some kind of side-reaction or whatever?

Rattata2 - 23-6-2009 at 14:44

Nothing? Jeez it can't be that hard of a question

I'm essentially asking if the acid group of a keto-acid would react with hydrazine in a Wolff-Kishner reduction if it were attempted...or if it would be left alone and just the ketone group attacked (or neither.)

entropy51 - 23-6-2009 at 14:58

Rattata, Nicodem will probably once again expose my ignorance of electron pushing, but if I understand your question, these guys used a Wolff-Kishner reduction for pyruvate to propionate. Apparently the carboxyl group wasn't too bothered by everything going on around it. Is that what you're asking?

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja01155a546

[Edit] Thanks to Ozone for providing the article below. I guess he understood your question in the same way I did.

[Edited on 23-6-2009 by entropy51]

Ozone - 23-6-2009 at 15:21

Patience....

Is over-rated.

Searching the literature is not.

Cheers,

O3

Attachment: Mosbach 1951 JACS 73-11-5477 Wolff-Kishner Redcution of Pyruvic and 3-formylpropionic acids.pdf (276kB)
This file has been downloaded 653 times

Rattata2 - 23-6-2009 at 15:43

Nice :) Yes that's what I was asking, and I do believe that answers my question pretty well! Good find, I had trouble finding anything on this topic at all...

Guess the only way to really know what kinds of yields to expect with this though is to try it. Unfortunately I can't think of any keto-acids I have on-hand and I don't have any hydrazine atm either :p One day I'll try it tho.

Any other comments on this?

entropy51 - 23-6-2009 at 15:52

My comment is why didn't you search just like we did?

Rattata2 - 23-6-2009 at 16:05

Eh idk why I didn't search the pubs, I tried to find it on google and didn't come up with much at all.

I will next time, appreciate you guys helping :)

entropy51 - 23-6-2009 at 16:34

I call BS. I searched on Google and that abstract came right up. Shame on you! But I guess it's OK. For once. But be careful of Necrosyrtes chemicus or you'll be in a world of hurtin'.