Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Smell of Acetaldehyde - What Products?

hodges - 1-9-2009 at 14:39

Every time I make acetaldehyde the smell reminds me of the inside of a house under construction. It smells like some kind of caulk or paint or something similar. I'm assuming there must be acetaldehyde present (dissolved) or produced from some types of indoor construction products. Does anyone know which?

Hodges

DJF90 - 1-9-2009 at 15:07

Acetic acid is present in silicone sealant/caulking as a setting agent. Thats about as close as I can think to acetaldehyde, which may be contaminated with small quantities of AcOH if you;re making it yourself.

kclo4 - 1-9-2009 at 15:35

DAP latex caulk contains acetaldehyde.
So there you go!

Klute - 1-9-2009 at 18:12

Just curious, how do you make acetaldehyde? Chromium oxidants? Or a more elaborate method?

kclo4 - 1-9-2009 at 20:24

I can smell acetaldehyde when ethanol is added to a manganese persulfate solution. I think this would be a good way to get acetaldehyde, but I think most people use chromium oxidants with ethanol.

Sedit - 1-9-2009 at 20:53

I too have experianced this but have never had the ability to isolate any formed acetaldahyde. I would think that MAA oxidiser should work equaly as well.

hodges - 2-9-2009 at 14:27

Quote: Originally posted by Klute  
Just curious, how do you make acetaldehyde? Chromium oxidants? Or a more elaborate method?

Just the usual Cr(+6) oxidation.

You've probably already seen this, but if acetaldehyde is what you are after this thread has a good discussion of ways to prepare it.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=55

Hodges