Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Organic Synthesis Books and Literature

bereal511 - 15-10-2009 at 18:42

Hey all,

I haven't been on this forum for years. Been taking a hiatus in amateur chemistry in exchange for academic chemistry. I recently took up a research position in a university laboratory on biopolymers and I wanted to get a better feel for the field.

Would anyone be able to recommend books and classic literature on organic synthesis, polymer reactions, and biopolymer functionality? I understand this is not the best place to ask for recommendations, however, I need no downloads. I will purchase the books myself.

Please feel free to move this thread if it's not in the right spot.

Thanks guys.

Nicodem - 16-10-2009 at 00:18

For organic synthesis I would first recommend you to get familiar with the theory or else you will understand nothing of the practical aspects:
The Art of Writing Reasonable Organic Reaction Mechanisms (Grossman, Robert B.)
March's Advanced Organic Chemistry: Reactions, Mechanisms, and Structure, 6th Edition (Michael B. Smith, Jerry March)

Then for the practical work you first need to read:
Vogel's Textbook of Practical Organic Chemistry (A.I. Vogel et al)
Organikum (Schwetlick, Klaus)

These are pretty much old classics with which every organic chemist starts. I don't know anything about polymer reactions and biopolymer functionality so I leave more suggestions to others.

JohnWW - 16-10-2009 at 08:32

I have uploaded many books on organic chemistry on my Rapidshare Premium account, and posted links to them in the Organic Chemistry thread in the References section. Ask a moderator for access, if needed.