Sciencemadness Discussion Board

How to clean up Active Charcoal in the lab?

Ijo2 - 17-1-2019 at 11:33

A short question: my concrete floor is black and covered with Norrit or activated fine carbon dust.

So far, I use fine sand/dust, detergent and much water to remove it. Because it sticks to your hands, shoes, clothes there was the first step: I covered the whole floor with paper because the stronger adsorption it prevents me that other rooms get contaminated because it sticks to shoes...

This sounds like a problem: yesterday I spend 4 hours and the lab is still dirty: the floor is still black and I wonder what I can do?

A) Mix it with certain colloids ?
B) Where I can find theoretical data about adsorption to active carbon?

Note: if you think about it then it's graphite like in pencils: so if I can apply the eraser principle then I suppose that there is no reason to get exhausted from this tuff task.

It really sucks: there is no fresh air but I have a strong vacuum pump.

SECOND DISCUSSION:
I was just looking for another more safe destination then a basement to continue with my hobby. However I live in a city and there is no better or safer option then a own garage without neigbours or the appartement if I have more knowledge about how to make a DIY cheap fumehood.

But let's focus on the cleaning procedure first: any ideas or experience with this matter?Text

Σldritch - 17-1-2019 at 12:53

Concrete floor you say? Why not just burn it if it is so fine?

Sulaiman - 17-1-2019 at 12:58

Piranha Solution is the only thing that I've used to eat carbon,
but I certainly would not use it in bulk as this would require,
as it is reportedly very dangerous in contact with anything organic.

Detergent will help loosen some but I can't think of anything safe that would remove all.

Do a reasonable cleanup then paint everything ?

EDIT: A pressure washer !
I have a generic (cheap) one and it can take the surface off of concrete using a small jet.
If you do not have one then buy a cheap one - to save many hours of dirty work

Mask required.
Regular deliberate evaluation of evacuation procedure and route.

[Edited on 17-1-2019 by Sulaiman]

unionised - 17-1-2019 at 13:03

Paint.

Piranha soln will trash the concrete

CharlieA - 17-1-2019 at 18:06

Powdered charcoal? Can you vacuum it up? Wet vacuum it up?

phlogiston - 18-1-2019 at 03:41

+1 on detergent solution.

just warm water with dishwasher soap is quite effective for cleaning charcoal-contaminated surfaces, with a a stiff brush (or a pressure washer) to dislodge it from small holes/irregularities.

draculic acid69 - 18-1-2019 at 16:40

Ammonia/Windex gets rid of black fingerprint dust if that helps.fingerprint dust is carbon black right.

[Edited on 19-1-2019 by draculic acid69]