Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Bogus posters

vulture - 8-1-2004 at 12:36

I'd like to ask the membership not to engage in discussion with bogus posters like Acid Test, because that'll only cause more board pollution.

Please don't respond to him, as this only pushes him to post more bogus. Just continue on topic discussion like he isn't there, so I can cut out his posts without toucing the original subject.
It's a pain in the ass to clean up all those threads without crippling the topic.

[Edited on 8-1-2004 by vulture]

chemoleo - 8-1-2004 at 12:51

Good thing you point this out.
I am quite annoyed by a number of good threads having turned into crap :(

Anyway, the problem with guys like him is - at what point to do you decide whether he's a bogus poster? Many people write crap at the beginning, it happens to everyone. For everyone to realise, this is more than just crap (or the occasional bullshit post), takes a day or two. And this is how long he's been active, and 55 messages. Damage's done regardless.
Anyway, happy thread editing :)

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Hermes_Trismegistus - 8-1-2004 at 13:30

Jeez I hope that yer a dedicated editor or kewls like me will be hoplessly confused fer ever and ever! (seriously, he sure had me fooled)
except for that peculiar waste of chemicals posting

vulture - 8-1-2004 at 15:02

I'll be cleaning up the mess acid test left in the coming days. It might happen that posts of other members are deleted too, this is not because they were inappropriate, just because they were to no relevance to the thread and only further degrading the discussion.

Theoretic - 9-1-2004 at 11:30

I've deleted all of my irrelevant posts myself and stayed a regular... ...just. :D

Theoretic - 12-1-2004 at 08:10

I think Acid Test resurfaced again.. ...this time it's Sean Ambrose. I think he changed his IP as I predicted, and vulture just quietly strangled (banned) him... ...well, he doesn't post anymore. Or he could just be another random bogus poster.
I think banning IPs isn't a good measure. I mean, it does work (most of the time), but if he was using a school computer, the entire school network will be denied access!

vulture - 12-1-2004 at 12:27

but if he was using a school computer, the entire school network will be denied access!

Though shit. Rather keep out one bogus poster who ruins the board than maybe one or two potential contributors. They are likely to find the forum on their homecomputers first anyway.

[Edited on 12-1-2004 by vulture]

? ? ?

bogus poster - 13-1-2004 at 12:39

This is my first post and I see my banning was already planed before I registered !

What have I done ?

Is this justice ?

shocked.
BP
:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Ah !!!! Here he is ! Kill, Ban, uhuhuuu.....

wooltour - 13-1-2004 at 14:22

Where is my valium - fast !
Before my penis inverts !

my PGP key:
my password:
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

vulture - 13-1-2004 at 14:55

You get 24 hours to explain your situation. Fail to provide a reasonable one and I'll ban both IPs just to make sure.

ehem...

Organikum - 13-1-2004 at 15:24

Men at work ?

?

Polverone - 13-1-2004 at 20:44

Acid Test has begun blessing Usenet (sci.chem) with his nuggets of wisdom. I am honored that we came first, though.

BromicAcid - 14-1-2004 at 15:54

Theoretic, I don't think Sean Ambrose is Acid Test however I think that Ethyl Amine might be, his posts now seem formatted like a normal persons but read them, you'll see, either that or it's his clone.

WTF?

chemoleo - 14-1-2004 at 16:26

What's wrong with you, Acid Test, aka .. Vasa Pumpkin, aka Ethylamine?

Here we go, there is a piece of evidence:
Quote:

.If it doesn't turn that brownish colour then it contains no CO.

Acid test also insisted on CO being brown - too much coincidence.

I think there is yet another IP that ought to be banned.

AcidTest get a life. This is childish bullshit. :(

Polverone - 14-1-2004 at 17:41

Ethyl Amine was <strike>banned</strike> deleted, but I forgot to do the IP ban first so I suppose he'll be back.

[Edited on 1-15-2004 by Polverone]

Blind Angel - 15-1-2004 at 08:15

Another one?
shyam vispute?

Theoretic - 15-1-2004 at 08:25

I think so too.

AngelEyes - 15-1-2004 at 08:41

maybe I should have been harsher with him... I just figured that English was not his first language and that was why his post didn't read well.

I am a fish - 15-1-2004 at 08:45

Quote:
Originally posted by Polverone
Acid Test has begun blessing Usenet (sci.chem) with his nuggets of wisdom. I am honored that we came first, though.

I await Uncle Al's reaction. :D

(For people unfamiliar with sci.chem, Uncle Al makes Vulture look like a little cute fluffy bunny rabbit)

BromicAcid - 15-1-2004 at 08:56

Yeah, but Uncle Al doesn't have the same powers of Vulture, unable to ban members and delete posts. Still though, he is good at cutting people down with his words.

I am a fish - 15-1-2004 at 09:45

True. That's probably why Acid Test has made the move to usenet. He knows that he can only avoid being banned if there is no effective way of banning him. :(

I wonder if he's far gone enough to take up killfile evasion?

Polverone - 15-1-2004 at 12:43

Free Base Hydrazine appears to be another incarnation of Acid Test. Posting abilities have been revoked and IP banned.

Hermes_Trismegistus - 15-1-2004 at 16:42

He claimed to have made LSD....maybe he did.....maybe he's actually insane?:o

Mumbles - 15-1-2004 at 17:22

Perhaps he was just attempting to impress us with his l33t chemistry skills. I've read some of the LSD synthesises. Anyone who doesn't know enough to post a semi-coherent message in a relating topic would have some severe difficulties in just obtaining the reagents, much less actually doing the proceedure.

Insane is another good possibility. Perhaps just trying to cause a mess here. Someone who might have a grudge against the board. Apparently he's more resourceful than the average bannee, with the proxies and such.

BromicAcid - 15-1-2004 at 17:36

Maybe he's just reading this thread and figuring out ideas to get back over and over. Hey, does anyone think that E-Pam is the new Acid Test? They signed up moments after Free Base Hydrazine was banned and their posts seem similar.... maybe I'm just becoming paranoid.

Where there is doubt, there is no doubt.

Hermes_Trismegistus - 15-1-2004 at 19:20

Lookit "her" bio

this is silly

chemoleo - 15-1-2004 at 20:09

we are all chasing bogus posters... but we are not discussing proper science!!! Comon guys, the more u are distracted, the weaker you make yourselves!

Theoretic - 16-1-2004 at 05:37

The option I propose is: just ignore it! Continue the discussion like it's not there. This was said before. In a nick of time the thing will be surgically excised. Acit Test is going to be bored in no time too and will probably leave us alone. If a thread is started by an incarnation of Acid Test, it has to be deleted... ...well, all traces of him have to go, even the username on the list. And usernames of his incarnations too.

I am a fish - 16-1-2004 at 06:34

Quote:
Originally posted by chemoleo
we are all chasing bogus posters... but we are not discussing proper science!!! Comon guys, the more u are distracted, the weaker you make yourselves!

Only a bogus poster would say that! Ban Him! Ban Him!

;)

chemoleo - 16-1-2004 at 08:40

Lol, how about a thread
'Poll: Who should be banned'?
For being cheeky and name-telling, I place you at the very top of the list. Execution immediate. ;)

vulture - 17-1-2004 at 02:38

Hmmm...everyone in this thread is posting bogus (except for me ofcourse)....SO.....everyone in this thread is a bogus poster! :D

Drool! I feel a MAJOR banning sequence coming up! Yeeeeehaaaaaw! Preeeeeey! Fresh preeeeey!

Blind Angel - 17-1-2004 at 02:44

There are also the 1 day quarantine for new user or maybe just asking for a complete bio that make sense in the profile would discourage some

just a thought of mine

Organikum - 17-1-2004 at 11:44

The person talked of seems to have at least some knowledge of chemistry and its nomenclatura.

Where does such a person come from?

Didnt somebody from this board post some utter but well formulated bullshit at another board (and crosspost it here in Whimsy, the first and true bogus poster so to say?)

Something else now:
What is "bogus"? Doesnt vulture answer to most "bogus" posts? And in a complete off topic manner also?
Example: Somebody asks in "General Chemistry" how to build a WOMD from toiletcleanser and smegma, a simple task for every member of the inner circle here. What does vulture? He posts: "closed" what is obviously in no way related to general chemistry nor to the asked question. I see this being problematic. VERY problematic and do vultures dont prefer their prey more "well hung up"?

Ok. So lets nuke Bombshock. Or someone apologizes for a well made but somehow mean joke? Lets have a poll?

And isnt vulture utmost cute when he is angry? Hug hug hug.....

Magpie - 17-1-2004 at 19:08

Vulture likes to play with his food....he's my idol.

vulture - 18-1-2004 at 10:33

he's my idol.

:o You've never met me in real life, that's for sure!

I need to warn you though, I do not like asskissing at all...

chemoleo - 19-1-2004 at 09:33

Maybe he thinks you are his idol becuase you both like to play with food aka. prey! So maybe you do have something in common after all :D - how about you arrange a date where you both cook for each other and then just play with it?
But then, dont we stop playing with food once you get past the age of 12 or so?? Makes me wonder ... :D:D

Mumbles - 19-1-2004 at 17:36

I don't care how old you get, Mashed Potato castles will never be "childish" to me. I have to admit, the playing with my food has been on a steady decline in past few years, but I just can't restist some ketchup drawings or sculpting of my mother's semi-solid gravy every once in a while.

[Edited on 1-20-2004 by Mumbles]

Saerynide - 20-1-2004 at 00:44

Mashed Potato Castles rock! So do mixing sauces to get nasty looking pastes :D

mooo

Iv4 - 20-1-2004 at 02:17

Hey lay of traps and UW !!(yes theyre my boards).But hey go wild with the X and anarchy :D

I dont mean to sound like a dick(yea it's hard to stop the wisecracks)but really you cant bann him.If he's on a dial-up all h has to do is reconent(hey it works on roguesci,I wont raise it if you wont :d).

Theoretic - 11-2-2004 at 08:16

Acid test is back (again)! navarone it is. Maybe we should keep him as a little nice whimsical feature (like Moonmonster)...

Saerynide - 11-2-2004 at 08:32

Who was Moonmonster and that other person you conotate with sulphuric acid anyways?

I am a fish - 11-2-2004 at 10:02

Quote:
Originally posted by Theoretic
Acid test is back (again)! navarone it is.

I think you're right. I'm not absolutely certain though.

Quote:
Maybe we should keep him as a little nice whimsical feature (like Moonmonster)...

NO WAY!

I don't have any problem with Moonmonster. However, this guy is a total jerk. I'm beginning to think that Vulture is a bit of a soft touch. :(

vulture - 11-2-2004 at 10:33

I'm beginning to think that Vulture is a bit of a soft touch.

Hmm, maybe I should ban your ass for nothing just to make sure I look though? :D

vulture is a hard-boner!

Organikum - 11-2-2004 at 11:12

He isnt week eh, weak, he is tough as though eh tough can be.

Yes!
:mad:

He is my rival and what do I look like when my rival looks soft and weak?
:o
ÌMPOSSIBLE!
:D

axehandle - 14-2-2004 at 02:17

Actually, I consider vulture as a _good_ administrator. When I first came here, I was naive and new and made a number of new threads (which already existed). He only warned me, I apologized, and I think we have a good relationship now, no?

Edit: I'm one of those Americans would call a "good guy". I respond well to constructive critizism. Which inevitably leads to the conclusion that I'm not an American, but an European. Which I am. Nuf' said.

/A

[Edited on 2004-2-14 by axehandle]

[Edited on 2004-2-14 by axehandle]

Saerynide - 14-2-2004 at 05:07

No one has explained to me who Moonmonster and R1ngm45t3r was yet. Im curious to know :(

I am a fish - 14-2-2004 at 06:54

Quote:
Originally posted by axehandle
Actually, I consider vulture as a _good_ administrator. When I first came here, I was naive and new and made a number of new threads (which already existed). He only warned me, I apologized, and I think we have a good relationship now, no?

I generally agree. My comment about Vulture being a soft touch was mainly intended to provoke a response. :D

I have absolutely no problem with people who come to the forum to learn. However Navarone simply wanted to be spoon-fed answers and responded with abuse whenever challenged.

Blind Angel - 14-2-2004 at 08:05

Moonmonster and R1nGM4St3R where two really bogus poster, they were only there to say stupied thing, i think that all R1nGM4St3R posts were deleted but if you look in the whimsy section you can still see some of Moonmonster post, just make a search

axehandle - 14-2-2004 at 09:26

Vulture is definitely not a "soft touch"! He's just as fascist an administrator that I was before my company crashed. Fascism is admirable in an admin, it saves both the admin and the users a LOT of trouble. E.g.: Our company network was never cracked as long as I was the admin. Mainly due to to my "fascist" user policies. There is a time and a place for everything.

Vulture: Keep up the good work.

IgnorantlyIntelligent - 14-2-2004 at 14:35

Everyone here is getting way too into this....it's only a forum people.

vulture - 14-2-2004 at 15:09

Trouble is, if the users are saying the admin is a good guy, is that because they mean it or is it because they think they'll gain something out of it?

Either way, if I had to apply a fascistic policy to that, I would have to ban everyone... :o

Hmmm....

I am a fish - 14-2-2004 at 17:09

Now that would be interesting. The user ranks would become:

= Banned

= Banned

= Banned

= Banned

= Banned

axehandle - 17-2-2004 at 10:30

Just to clear things up: I didn't mean "fascist" as when applied to <b>politics</b> but as when applied to <b>policy</b>.

And vulture..... I'm not brown-nosing, I was just trying to commend you for being as thorough as me when it comes to sewage cleansing. Or perhaps it should be "board maintenance". Depends on how many bogus posts that arrive on that particular day.

I remember when the Code Red worm infested all of the windows NT workstations at the university whose network we shared. The attacks came like a lead stream from a gatling gun, bouncing off my Linux firewall, making clinking sounds as the impenetrable armor did its work.... :)