Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Primaries to be used for dets.

IgnorantlyIntelligent - 12-1-2004 at 19:24

With AP and other peroxides taking most of the credit for being used to make detonators, I was wondering what other options there are out there.
Are there any easy to make(readily avaiable materials and easy synthesis)primaries that you know of?(besides peroxides)

Two words: Double Salt

JDP - 12-1-2004 at 20:51

Make double salts (Ag2C2:AgNO3 complex). you can get an acetyline gas tank for a resonable price and you can get pure silver at a coin shop for about $6.00 an ounce. the best synthises I have seen out there is BRaINFeVEr's synth. Another nice thing about double salts is you only need a tiny bit with a booster(I use MHN) for your caps.

[Edited on 13-1-2004 by JDP]

IgnorantlyIntelligent - 19-1-2004 at 19:03

I now am testing Lead Styphnate and am very satisfied with it. Its VOD is 17,000feet per second and has very good brisance from what I have seen. I have tried simepl dets with it like pouring some rifle primers into a rifle bullet case, fusing it, and igniging. That simple. The det described above was very succesful in blowing a 1"hole through a half inch playwood. Gun primers are about 97% LS and cost $20 for 1000 primers. One det requires about 25 primers to equal #8 commercial det I believe so $20 gets you quite a bit of dets. Say goodbye to AP. LS is VERY stable and non-reactive to metals yet still is sensitive to friction and flame. From what I can see, the perfect primary.