Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Who makes Quickfit?

peach - 2-7-2010 at 06:28

I see the name all the time on glassware, and then discovered it's actually a brand, not a description.

But that got me wondering. This stuff is everywhere, and people refer to items by their Quickfit codes.

So who makes it? Why isn't there a website or catalog of the parts? I did a UTFSE but had no luck.

peach - 2-7-2010 at 06:32

I did some more UTFSE and realized Pyrex has their own site, that they're responsible for Quickfit and that they list their distributor fronts in specific countries for Quickfit. E.g. it's sold through Corning in North America.

I thought I'd leave this up, just in case anyone else was wondering about it's origins.

[Edited on 2-7-2010 by peach]

Contrabasso - 3-7-2010 at 00:40

Yes Quickfit is a trade name, however it's simplicity of function means that 1/ several companies make it world wide, 2/ many people copy it and trade copies world wide, 3/it's very usefull as a basis for development if you have need for prototyping glasswork.

Quickfit cf Hoover -both registered trade marks also used generically to indicate a whole range of parts.

hissingnoise - 3-7-2010 at 02:14

Quickfit glass is made by Bibby Sterilin Ltd, a company owned by Barloworld Scientific.
Their site seems to be down at the moment. . .

peach - 3-7-2010 at 14:28

I read an article that says the same. But if I visit the Bibby Sterilin site, there doesn't seem to be any mention of Quickfit. Same on the Bibby Scientific site. Sterilin seems to have switched to making plastic pipettes and Scientific seems to be making electronic bench equipment.

I saw the connection mentioned on LaboratoryTalk from 2001 and 2004. Maybe they've licensed it out to someone?

It seems remarkably difficult to find the complete catalog for such a well known brand. I would seriously have expected it to have it's own website. The best I've found is by going through the website.

Contra, I may be wrong, but I'm not sure if you've entirely got my question. Quickfit isn't just a name, it's a protected brand name that everyone now uses to describe ground glassware. But the specific brand Quickfit still exists and is producing branded glassware. I bought one of their new screw thread condensers just this week (with the branding printed on it). Obviously, lots of people copy the Quickfit designs, but that's ground glassware, not Quickfit. If it doesn't have Quickfit printed on the glass, it's not actually Quickfit.

I wish I'd only ever bought Quickfit. Initially, when I compare it with other glass it's similar. But when I hold it up next to some of the gear I've bought from other glass blowers, it's obviously been built with more care. The tapers are ground more smoothly, the glass is more geometrically true and the seals between sections (e.g. taps, tapers and different bores of glass) are smoother. I had a B24 addition funnel snap from another manufacturer. I wasn't being careful enough with it, but I do wonder if it'd have snapped if it where Quickfit, as closer examination shows the sealing between sections if all messy, the bends are slightly collapsed and the tapers have ridges in them. And this was expensive. Maybe they forgot to anneal it as well.

I try to stick to only B24 to make compatibility easier, but a lot of the time it's just far too big. I might put together a B14 mini glassware set purely from Quickfit.

There are some things I don't like about Quickfit. From what I can tell, there's no condenser options other than Liebig for B14. There also aren't any equalizing addition funnels for B14 (I can use an adapter yes, but a funnel would be nice). I also don't like the fact their addition funnels are pear shaped. I don't see any benefit to that at all. It makes measurements harder and means they won't fit on Claisen heads.

There aren't many flasks for it, although there's enough I guess.

There doesn't seem to be a column option for B14. They sell pear flasks with a Claisen / Vigreux / three way setup premolded together (I actually have one of those), but I really don't like pear flasks at all. Stirring them is next to impossible, which makes for a bumpy vacuum distillation.

I also don't understand why they do a condenser in B10 when virtually nothing else they sell has B10 sockets.

How about some different stills heads as well, like a solvent head and a short path.

I'll check out Sigma. I've seen some fairly unique bits of glass on their site. I think the prices are about the same.

No idea if they'll sell to me or not. I tried opening an account but, unwilling to lie to them, they refused me one as a member of the public. I don't know if that extends to glassware. Cole Parmer sell a ton of stuff, not sure how much glassware they carry and their site is like a maze designed to confuse old / mental people. It looks like the categories were put together by a piece of software that's scanned their catalog, stuffs jumbled up all over the place and not easy to located or compare.

If anyone can find out the specific factory were Quickfit is blown, I might see if I can get a visit with a video camera. ;)

[edit] That edited signature is seriously annoying for someone who has to edit their posts ten times to fix the spellings! [/edit]

[Edited on 4-7-2010 by peach]

undead_alchemist - 4-7-2010 at 01:02

This company is connected:

English company trademarks post WWII

This company over in Ireland lists parts.

Bibby Scientific Ltd
Listed as the Trade Mark holder on the Sigma Aldrich website.

It could also be made in India.
I have seen the brand used by a few companies over there.

[Edited on 4-7-2010 by undead_alchemist]

[Edited on 4-7-2010 by undead_alchemist]

peach - 5-7-2010 at 06:03

Thanks undead, although Quickfit specifically states 'Made in England' on the glass. is still the closest I've come to themselves. It's printed on the glass and the website links to fronts selling only Quickfit.

Contra is correct that a lot of people describe ground glass as Quickfit, but there is certainly a specific brand called Quickfit. And my condenser, bought last week and from their newer range, has 'Made in England' printed on it.

They should have their own site. Dammit! :P

[Edited on 5-7-2010 by peach]

hissingnoise - 5-7-2010 at 09:53

From Wiki - BarloworldScientific is now called SciLabware.
Such an original name. . .

peach - 5-7-2010 at 15:30

Good find, noise!

And that's the same site that's linked to from the site for their EU distributor.

But the adventure ends not here, peach is going investigating and will report back!

undead_alchemist - 6-7-2010 at 01:32

Looking over the plasticware on SciLabware website.
I can see that some of it is made in India.
There are 1-2 companies in India that make and brand it for Major brands.

peach - 8-7-2010 at 08:34

I bet the plasticware doesn't have 'Made in England' printed on it, however.

peach - 23-7-2010 at 05:58


Thank you for your interest in our products - name.

You are correct in your assumption regarding the ownership of the name,
This comes back from about 1908 when our glassware was blown in Cornings in Sunderland. The name/ownership and company name has changed over the years but it is registered to us - Scilabware Limited. It is the range of glassware which fits into a particular section of our range with the quickfit - interchangeable sockets/cones etc laboratory glassware.

All manufactured from Borosilicate glass a per ISO3585 type 3.3 etc. for further information, please see our website.

Here are just a few of the points of history of our company.

Changes have been
1923 - James A Jobling who were licensed to produced Pyrex lab ware, I
1962 - Quickfit and Quartz began production in Stone, Staffordshire
1970 - Became a Jobling Lab Division
1973 - Company became part of Corning Laboratory
1962 - Became J Bibby Science Products
1986 - Became Bibby Sterilin
2005 - Became Barloworld Scientific
2008- the re-useable labware division became Scilabware. We are still situated in Stone, Staffordshire.

Scilabware is where you are back to - the website is

phew....... I hope this helps to solve the mystery or at least some of it.


I'd given up hope Sandra!

Where is QuickFit being blown? Can I visit? Can I visit with a camera? A lot of people want to know what or who QuickFit is. We all know your name, none of us know where or who it's coming from.

I buy a huge amount of it, but the B14 range of glass needs improving. I'm having to buy things from the US because the B14 range of QuickFit is no where near close; no short path heads, no Morton flasks and a bias towards macro chemistry.

I'd love to visit a factory where it's being blown. But you need to improve the B14 range. I hated the idea of buying US tapers and I have some of your most expensive B14 glassware, but it needs improving. I know you won't want to hear this and it sounds identical to complaining, but that's not the point. So many of the US suppliers (like Ace, Kontes and Chemglass) have far, far more options in B14. QuickFit is the Ace / kontes / Chemglass of the UK and Europe, why not attempt to match the US products?

To put this into perspective, so you don't think I'm a complete asshole, I have spent a fortune buying branded QuickFit glassware, and choose it where ever possible over other UK suppliers.

[Edited on 23-7-2010 by peach]

peach - 23-7-2010 at 06:38


The Quickfit items are produced (blown) in Stone, Staffordshire.

I have forwarded your email to our Sales manager. But we do not really allow photographs. You can see some pics on our website.

I hope this helps for the moment.

Kind regards

zed - 23-7-2010 at 12:30

Peach, if you are using smaller sizes, well enough. But, if you really develop an appetite for glassware, go visit your local scientific lab-glass blower.

It often costs less, you may be able to watch 'em work, and they will make you exactly what you want. Additionally, it is possible to have really expensive items repaired.
Or, if your needs are such, they can make you items out of "Red Glass".

peach - 23-7-2010 at 19:29

I'd like that, but the none QuickFit glass I've gotten has been very impressive. I spent a lot on a 500ml pressure equalizing funnel from a custom blower. The tapers have visible undulations in the grind, the walls on the bends are slightly collapsed, the equalizing tube is reasonably straight but hasn't been set with a jig or square and it cracked just under the tap not long after I got it, meaning another £50 for the repair that still needs doing. I have wondered if they actually annealed it.

Actinic glassware would be excellent. Apart from seeing colour changes in reaction flasks. I suppose I could just put a yellow or red bulb in and some filter plastic over the window.

I have some micro-glassware in the post that'll knock ya' tits off, I was really excited to get a good deal on it, and am getting all ants in my pants waiting for it.

[Edited on 24-7-2010 by peach]

zed - 23-7-2010 at 21:55

I'd use a different custom glassblower. I suppose it's like anything else. Some guys are master craftsmen that take great pride in their work. While other guys just want to be paid.

peach - 24-7-2010 at 10:22

Too much money and hassle involved in the guesswork for me.

I could spend another £100 on a funnel, have it not to my liking and then have them argue about giving me a refund over the details. That's especially likely given that they'll be small companies and may have custom blown the glass.

This is one time when I tend to go straight for a brand name, where I know I'll get quality or a refund.