Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Carbon nanotubes wanted

paulr1234 - 30-8-2010 at 21:53

I'm doing some private research into electroactive polymers as robotic actuators (particularly cellulose substrate thin-film ones).

I'm looking for small quantities of MWNTs and SWNTs and fullerenes. Just a few grams at a time, ideally 95% purity range. Need a modestly priced source. Don't have any particular requirements beyond this.

I found a source in China who will sell me MWNTs for a $1 a gram but I'm uncertain about the quality and don't want to start paying to ship bottles of mixed soot around the world.

bquirky - 1-9-2010 at 08:06

I have considered attempting to separate carbon nano particals (easaly produced using an electrical discharge in ethanol) using Chromatography columns. but ive never been able to come up with a good reason to justify the effort.

1$ per gram sounds like a good deal.

but i cant think of anyway to (at home) differentiate mwnt from swnt.

However i have seen many papers mention that nitric acid will preferentialy attack amorphus carbon inpreferance to nanotubes and other well formed structures

however i cant recall a referance

Fleaker - 1-9-2010 at 18:28

Have fun running the column on those.

You'll pay through the nose on the SWCNTs.

Are you in the US? I might be able to help you.

Hello Fleaker

paulr1234 - 18-9-2010 at 23:26

Yes, I'm in the USA - can you help? Can pay.

MagicJigPipe - 19-9-2010 at 08:52

A couple of grams of SWCNTs is A LOT to me. Those things go a long way. It's as if you can spread them infinitely.

If you find a good source of cheap and decent quality SWCNTs, let me know for sure.

If you needed a few hundred mg, I could help you, but that's it.

SWCNTs

paulr1234 - 19-9-2010 at 22:27

Just a 100mg or two would be a great starting point - do you have any ideas about what you want in terms of $ or trade?

I can currently get 35% purity SWCNTs from Alfa for $64 for 250MG. I'd be interested in securing larger quantities and better purity levels.

Yes, they do go a long way but right now I am planning on experimenting with a whole bunch of permutations to this preparation: http://ndeaa.jpl.nasa.gov/nasa-nde/lommas/eap/Nanotube-PrepP...

Which looks like a fairly material-intensive methodology to begin with, and I'm planning on rattling through a whole bunch of variables (adding additional conductive particles and tweaking the base polymer in a variety of different ways) so expect to go through quite a lot.

preeti22 - 17-4-2012 at 21:03

Hi,
If you want best carbon nanotubes from US you can contact nanoshel.