Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Ti-Mno2 Anode(Co3O4 undercoat safe?)

avi66 - 10-9-2010 at 13:13

I really want to make those anodes:
http://oxidizing.110mb.com/chlorate/mno2.html
i afraid to use my cobalt because it is carcinogenic, and i don't want to dill with carcinogenic salt inside my chlorate cell,so i wonder if the cobalt oxide Co3O4 layer on my anode, will corrode to cobalt salts which will be soluble in my cell, or it will flaking, and make a filterable nonthreatening solid oxide particles !?
I already checked in Wikipedia about this cobalt oxide, and i didn't find information about resistance to hydrochloric acid, or a behavior on electrolysis in chlorate cell.
Thanks for your attention !

Xenoid - 10-9-2010 at 14:52

Large case of PARANOIA here!

Any references to carcinogenic properties of Co3O4 probably refer to breathing in large quantities of the fine dust.

The amount of Co3O4 on the anode layer is miniscule! Whilst some will eventually find its way into the cell solution as the anode degrades - again, miniscule amounts. This presents no more (or less) carcinogenic danger than many other chemicals you deal with on a day to day basis. For example, to make the oxide by thermal decomposition you will require cobalt nitrate solution.

One precaution, ensure you do the thermal decompositions outside, due to the production of NO2.

avi66 - 11-9-2010 at 07:12

I think i will make a experiment, il make co3o4 anode and run it in little hydrochloric acid solution to check if the co3o4 make particles or not, i exposed to the cell electrolyte on filtering, and by handling the cell, i don't want any carcinogenic content, and its not paranoia, i care about my health, i work with toxic chemical, but carcinogenic is to dangerous, if you ask me how to die? i say anyway but not by cancer, this way i don't use dichromate either, i got tones of it.