Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Pure vanillin from vanillin sugar

Random - 26-9-2010 at 00:04

Can I extract vanillin from vanillin sugar? The only ingredients are vanillin and sugar.

bahamuth - 26-9-2010 at 00:28

You can, but wouldn't it be kinda expensive?

Use as dry ethanol as possible, sucrose is not very soluble in it; vanillin will dissolve nicely by the ethanol, filter and evaporate. (and crystallize from water if greater purity is needed)

Random - 26-9-2010 at 03:17

Well, it's expensive, but how to get it except by that? How much yield could I get with that?

Thanks for this option of extraction :)

bahamuth - 26-9-2010 at 03:23

I guess that the vanilla sugar contains somewhere from 1-5% vanilin/ethyl vanillin, and you should be able to get most of it out of the sugar, but why not just buy it on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/VANILLIN-100gm-Chemical-Methoxy-Hydroxy-...

Random - 26-9-2010 at 10:42

The problem is that I can't buy from ebay in my country so I will have to do it with ethanol. Is there alternative route with vanilla flavoring that you can buy in shops?

bahamuth - 26-9-2010 at 11:24

How much if the stuff do you need, 5, 10g, or in the hundreds of grams?

Depending on your needs there is also a fairly easy way to prepare it from isoeugenol or eugenol, even from sawdust but the yields are apparently very low.

"The Preparation of Vanillin from Eugenol and Sawdust", in: Journal of Chemical Education 1977, 54 (12), S. 776–778."

Random - 26-9-2010 at 12:35

I need just a few grams to make zingerone from vanillin and acetone. I should also look for clove oil to get eugenol.

bahamuth - 26-9-2010 at 14:19

Not to derail this thread but also made some zingerone a while back.., had a hell to separate it, oxidized in air and polymerized (or something) in UV/florescent lighting.

not_important - 27-9-2010 at 12:59

If you have Middle Eastern/North African dry goods stores around you, you may find they stock bottles of pure vanillin.

Random - 2-10-2010 at 00:19

I wil then try to make that unsaturated ketone that is used to make zingerone.

Could I separate vanillin from sugar by dissolving all sugar in water (solubility: 2000g/L) and vanillin will be left out of solution. I would loose 1g of vanillin per 100ml of water.

bahamuth - 2-10-2010 at 01:33

Read up on the solubility of your compounds if you are trying to separate them by crystallization. Vanillin is very soluble in water so dissolving your vanillin/sugar mixture in water will not work. As I said before, use ethanol, or even better when I think about it, ethylacetate or similar esters.