Sciencemadness Discussion Board

My Website with lots of Pics!

T_FLeX - 3-2-2004 at 17:41

http://tflex101.home.mchsi.com/index.html

Just started working on my website, and I have to say so far its looking good. Questions comments?

[Edited on 5-2-2004 by T_FLeX]

beautiful

Polverone - 3-2-2004 at 19:03

Labs in bedrooms aren't the best, but yours looks very nice. I enjoyed the pictures of fermentation and your still as well. There are many substances beyond ethanol that can be made with fermentation; do you plan on trying any?

Haggis - 3-2-2004 at 19:07

Nice setup you have, and you seem to be a big fan of moonshinin'. Make any profits on the stuff? Whenever people post pictures of their labs, I like playing I Spy and try and identify the chemical bottles people have. It's fun, try it sometime.

Looks like you have some good stuff and an impressive setup. College student? If so, what does your roomate and such say? Any worries about that?

T_FLeX - 3-2-2004 at 19:51

Yea I plan on trying all kinds of stuff, but just haven’t' gotten around to too much experimentation with fermentation due to my budget problem. I'm hoping on getting some vinegar bacteria in the next couple of weeks.

I prefer not to think of it as moonshinin' but rather, alcohol solvent production, but yea I enjoy it a lot. I do sometimes sell it to my friends, but not on a regular basis.

I am a college student, just finished my first semester at Columbus State University in Georgia. I don't have roommates because I still live with my parents for the time being, but next semester I hope to transfer to the University of Georgia. I’m a little worried on whether or not I’m going to be able to bring all my stuff with me though.

good work

Magpie - 3-2-2004 at 20:17

I like your use of Erector Set members for support of the condenser - good recycling! I still have most of my Gilbert Erector Set but alas my Gilbert chemistry set is long gone.

That keg still will be huge. You have competed your bench scale "proof of princple" for making solvent and are apparently now advancing into the "pilot plant" or even "production" scale equipment. It should be interesting to compare conditions, yields, purity, etc between the two scales.

Well......you've finally gone and done it....

Hermes_Trismegistus - 4-2-2004 at 18:53

You are now OFFICIALLY a danger to yourself and others.....

Congrats.:D

Blind Angel - 5-2-2004 at 05:49

We are all danger to everyone, it's only a matter of time before the society ban us and we become ghost :P:D

fermentation

Organikum - 5-2-2004 at 12:56

Add some drops of corn-oil and forget the foaming problems. Aeration by an aquarium air-pump + bubblestone might be a good idea and together with the corn-oil it wont cause any problems.

Nice setup.

:D

[Edited on 5-2-2004 by Organikum]

Hello T_Flex

chloric1 - 5-2-2004 at 14:17

Hey great website! THat mantle is SO GREAT! I see the dimmer switch but what fabric/material did you use for the actual part that hold the flask? Did you use nichrome wire for heating elements? I have one mantle I purchased but I would like to build a 500 ml version for the smaller operations and a 2000 ml for the larger.

Thanks in advance

T_FLeX - 5-2-2004 at 14:43

I bought the heating mantle off eBay. I just basically did the wiring/erector set frame and added the dimmer. The heating element cost me 17 bucks shipped, if you look on ebay there are usually heating mantles for sale that go for real cheap, just look for the stained ugly ones.

[Edited on 5-2-2004 by T_FLeX]

chemoleo - 5-2-2004 at 14:51

I did notice the Sigma catalogue ;) - Are you saying you are buying chemicals from them?????
You might just as well say good-bye to any spare money you might have....

T_FLeX - 5-2-2004 at 15:32

lol, good god no. That place is expensive, but they do have an impressive amount of chemicals to choose from. A while back I requested a catalog, and they sent a freaken stuck load of books, I'll try to put some pics of the books they sent me, but It’s well over 30 pounds of catalogs and stuff.

Blind Angel - 5-2-2004 at 16:28

Was it a free catalog?