Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Ammonium Nitrate and detonation

Xenos - 30-8-2002 at 19:03

I have a pound of ammonium nitrate, and have read about its various destructive compounds like ANFO and ANNM etc. All of these are hard to detonate, and require a blasting cap or starter compound. Just in case i ever need this information, what would be a good, and easy thing to make with ammonium nitrate, and how would I set it off?

madscientist - 30-8-2002 at 19:18

By the way, ANNM is actually supposed to be quite easy to detonate. There are some more sensitizers that can be used other than nitromethane and diesel. Mononitrotoluenes work well as a sensitizer. Toluene, xylene are supposed to work well - but won't increase sensitivity enough to allow you to just use a blasting cap. Urea should make a good sensitizer, because a small amount of the sensitive urea nitrate would become present. Oxamide might work well too. One that should be particularily good is a polysulfide (there's a thread on preparing polysulfides in the General Chemistry section). Sulfur is supposed to be a decent sensitizer, but again, probably won't increase sensitivity of the ammonium nitrate enough to allow you to just use a blasting cap. Some people have used charcoal, but I don't think that mix would be too sensitive either. Lots of people have been using mixes of ammonium nitrate and acetone peroxide, which I consider to be a death wish. Nitroglycerine has been used in the past, creating a very easily initiated dynamite (if you make that, dissolve your nitroglycerine in acetone, then mix it with the ammonium nitrate, and let the acetone evaporate off - much safer than mixing in straight nitroglycerine).

madscientist - 30-8-2002 at 19:20

Oh sorry, I didn't read your post carefully enough. You aren't going to find an ammonium nitrate mixture that can be detonated without a blasting cap (simply a small charge of a primary explosive). Only primary explosives and low explosives will explode when contacted with flame. All ammonium nitrate compositions are secondary explosives - explosives that require a blasting cap and sometimes even a booster to detonate.

Xenos - 30-8-2002 at 20:56

Whats the difference between primary, low, and secondary explosives?

madscientist - 30-8-2002 at 21:28

I'll write an explanation of the basics of explosives. :)

Low explosives explode by burning very fast - deflagration. They are ignited with a fuse. Primary explosives burn so fast that they create a shockwave that detonates the rest of the primary explosive when exposed to flame. Secondary explosives usually are barely flammable. They can only be detonated by a shockwave, which is generated by a primary explosive. Some secondary explosives are so insensitive that to set them off, a booster is used - that is a charge of a more sensitive secondary - the booster is detonated with the primary. Basically a booster just makes the blasting cap a hell of a lot bigger.

Xenos - 30-8-2002 at 22:02

Hope im not being annoying, but what are some examples of each. If i get this straight, black powder, flash, etc would be a low explosive. Secondary is most ammonium nitrate compounds/ mixes, C4, RDX, etc. and then whats a primary explosive?

madscientist - 30-8-2002 at 22:05

Don't worry, you're not being annoying. :)

You've got those examples right. Here's a few examples of primary explosives: HMTD, acetone peroxide, DDNP, lead picrate, lead azide, and mercury fulminate.

Madog - 30-8-2002 at 22:13

ANNM is quite sensitive. i have heard that a .22 of pressed HMTD will do it. this has a high VoD. great for shape charges. the VoD is in the 7000s

ANFO is a bitch, need i say more? probaly. u need a huge booster and confinement realy helps

i have done AN/MNT. i used 500mg of PETN to deonate it. but the AN was damp so it was partial. i bet it would have whent off if not wet. maybe not tho. but if not im sure 1g of PETN would have done it

AN/AP is of course very sensitive. and dangerous. but i think it needs a shockwave to go throughout it detonateing the AP in every part of it to make it fully det. this was infact my first secondary. that was way back before anyone knew about it. way before the ANAP topic at the E&W

AN/MEKP of course would be good and sensitive. just dont go and mix a kilo of it

AN/NG is ammonia dynamite. which is good. if you dont mix it with the NG disolved in acetone u are a suicideal dude.

AN/organic solvents useualy work. some are like ANFO and some are more sensitive. of course there is alot of variation sience the amouunt of solvents.

ANAl. AN with aluminum powder is fairly sensitive and has a relitively high VoD. this is a good choice. it is especialy good when you add an orgainc solvent or another sensitiser. the Al should be at least 200mesh. Mg, Zn and other metals used in pyrotecnics can be used with great sucess.

AN/nitrocellulose/Al is supos to be good. often casted by disolveing in acetone. more sensitive if microspheres are added.

AN/any liquid explosive will be good. and of course sensitive.

AN/TNT is called amatol. it is powerful but insensitive. the reason for it is because TNT has a negative oxygen balance and the AN works to correct it. it is castable

AN mixtures with sulfur have been used but nobody realy does this. useualy in combonation with a metal powder.

i have heard of AN/wax mixture of somesort. quite strange if oyu aske me. but it was said ot be good. i forget what kind of wax stuff was used though.

hmm, i cant think of any more now. this may be a bit repetitive but i think you may apreciate it.

Ramiel - 30-8-2002 at 23:35

My guess is that if a volatile hydrocarbon like desil can make it more sensitive, then. The wax mixture probably refers to some kind of wax like Parrafin wax, or a wax that has a short chain (about 40 C and volatile). Still, it's an ester isn't it?

dunno, that's an interesting one.

kingspaz - 31-8-2002 at 04:39

i got another one!
AN/MNN (mononitronaphthalene)

Arresting TNT reaction

Ramiel - 31-8-2002 at 22:56

We all know one can nitrate toluene to get TNT (tri-nitro), but is it possible to arrest the reaction in some way as to only get MNT (mono-nitro)?

madscientist - 1-9-2002 at 07:29

Easily done. In fact, it's much easier to prepare mononitrotoluenes than trinitrotoluene. PHILOU Zrealone posted a good process for preparing mononitrotoluenes, then successively dinitrotoluenes and trinitrotoluenes in this thread.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=29

abbreviations

mastermindg - 3-9-2002 at 18:02

maddog (or anybody else that can answer) would you mind posting some of the names that you abbreviated? i would appreciate it.

Madog - 3-9-2002 at 18:18

ANNM-Amonium nitrate/nitromethane
ANFO-ammonium nitrate/fuel oil(diesel fuel)
MNT-mononitrotoluene
NG-nitroglycerin
MEKP-methly ethly ketone peroxide
AP-acetone peroxide
TNT-trinitrotoluene
Al is the chemical sign for aluminum

thanks.

mastermindg - 4-9-2002 at 10:58

thanks. i knew some, but not all of them..a few like Al, NG, and NM were obvious but i didnt know what FO was. gracias.

Madog - 4-9-2002 at 17:53

ok, i figured you would know some but i put like all of them just to be safe

PHILOU Zrealone - 9-9-2002 at 15:52

Some much sensitiver HE than AN can sensitise AN!
NH4ClO4, NH2-NH3NO3, NH2-NH3ClO4, urea nitrate, urea perchlorate, methylamine nitrate, methylamine perchlorate, hexamine dinitrate, hexamine diperchlorate, RDX, HMX, Tetryl,ethylenediamine dinitrate, ethylene diamine diperchlorate, ...
HE has to be homogeneously mixed with the AN to get a solid solution (ideally it must be melted together.

KMnO4 does too!Because partially you have some NH4MnO4 formation in situ (what is a primary)!

PH Z:cool:

DBSP - 18-9-2002 at 04:43

PHILOU do you know the ratio for AN sensitized with UN?

A quite sensitive ANFO mixture is easy to prepare. Go to the E&W-HE-cap sensitive mixtures in KIFE, look at one of my posts there.
It's basicly just to recrystalize AN from water by boiling the water off, when most water is gone and crystals start to fall out of the solution you add a foaming agent such as: H2O2, NaNO3, baking soda etc. Then you quickly cool the AN that then solidifies at a much lower density that normal. It's then dried in the oven untill completely dry and then (in my case) raps oil is added and it is given some time to soak, a day or two just to make shure.

I detonated a 0.57kg charge of this with 50g ANNM but I think that you shuld be able to get it off with say 30g or so.

As I'm new to this perticular forum I don't know what rules there are about posting pics, but if anyone want's me to I can post(links) pics and audio od the detonation.

DBSP - 23-9-2002 at 10:31

I extracted some interesting info from one of my posts on E&W..

This is really interesting to anyone who has problems finding NM or secondarys to boost ANFO.

"I then went to have a talk with my grandmother and I remembered the dancefloor wax thing and asked her if she knew about some similar wax, she rose and started looking under the sink and pulled out a bottle of liquid floor wax. I ran home and pulled out a can of powdered AN(cold pack). Weighted it and made some calculations and then added 2% wax(3g of fluid wax)(I added the double ammount since the wax was dissolved in some solvent that evapourated quickly and left a quite small ammount of wax behind) which in turn was added to 5g acetone in order to make it more fluid and thus being easier to mix with the AN. I stirred the AN for about ten minutes and then I added approx 1,5-2g Al(home milled!). I poured it into an emty coce can and made a det out of ~4-5g HMTD only slightly pressed. I was going to a friend and thought I'd stop by at the lake and detonate it on my way, but there where people there so I went to my friend right away instead. There I got a bit drunk and when my I called my mother and asked her to pic me up, my brother came on the phone and asked if he shuld bring the charge with him, I told him to do that and we then stopped by at the lake we prepared the charge. We(he) inserted the det and put everything into a plastic bag that was sealed and a roch was taped to the charge. I held the camera and the lighter and he held the charge. When it was lit he threw it into the lake and said: FUCK it didn't sink. I told him to cover his ears and look away from the charge and after 15s a slight crack was heard and I heard some water splattering on the surface. I then asked if he thought it was a complete detonation(since I thought it sounded like a regular cap alone), he then gave me a funny look and said: it went off allright, we then ran away since it was close to the willage where I live and it wasn't supposed to be heard at all(this was an hour after dark or so).

Today one of my brothers friends told him that he had heard "a fucking Bang" last night so it probably heard quite well.

I don't know if the charge detonated so easily because of the wax or the fact that there still was some acetone and some Al in it but it worked and it worked well, this mix is something that I will definately do some real testing on. This is actually the first mix that meets my demands that I have for a mix to be declared a "standard" mixture on my list of explosives that I use.

It's cap sensitive, chep as hell, easy to prepare and safe.

Does anyone have any idea of how long it can be stored?
As long as it doesn't start decomposing in storage it can be prepared/loaded and then put into storage in different weights, the mixture would most likely settle and self compress during storage but that would easily be solved by shaking the charge before use.

http://w1.478.telia.com/~u47804009/E&W/160g_AN-wax-acetone_A...

I don't have any pics of the detonation since i forgot to set the flash to night-mode on the camera."

NERV - 23-9-2002 at 14:22

I know that mixing TNP with metals will form dangerous picrate salts, And I was wondering if it would be safe to mix it with AN. Would it make sensitive picrate salts, or do nothing at all. Is it possible that it would just make Ammonium picrate and NO3?

(Sorry my chemistry is not very good at the moment as I have only been studying it for a month now).

re-crystalization on AN

00Buckshot - 7-11-2002 at 15:35

Could someone post what they think is the best way to purify AN. Could I just dissolve it in hot water and crash out the crystals? Which solvent would be the best to precipitate the crystals. I used to purify my KN03 this way, would it work the same with AN.

Furthermore, do you think ANHMTD is "suicidal" as madscientist put it in regards to ANAP.
Thanks

dynamite - 21-12-2002 at 15:46

does any one know this materials detanation velosity hexamin+HClO4+xH2O

DeusExMachina - 23-12-2002 at 16:43

00Buckshot, if you are asking how to get the AN from fertilizer, just go to the gardening store and look at the ingredients of the fertilizer and buy the pack with the lest ingredients that can dissolve in water. You want a pack like that because the AN can go into the water and with the stuff that can't dissolve into the water, you skim off the top and you collect the ammonium nitrate.

I don't know if that's what you are asking for or not.

kingspaz - 24-12-2002 at 03:37

buckshot, i agree with madscientist. HMTD is known to be unstable if not washed properly. washing removed the acid residues. ammonium ions exist in the following equilibrium:
NH4+ <=> NH3 + H+
therefore ammonum nitrate is slightly acidic and therefore would make HMTD less stable = BOOOOM

PHILOU Zrealone - 13-3-2003 at 07:10

Hexamine diperchlorate VOD > or = to 8km/s!

UN and AN:
NH2-CO-NH3NO3 --> 3/2N2 + CO2 + H2O + 3/2H2
NH4NO3 --> 2H2O + N2O

So
2NH2-CO-NH3NO3 +3NH4NO3 -> 6N2 +2CO2 + 11H2O
From this you see that you need 246g UN for 240g AN so roughly a 50/50 mix by weight!

Beanspike - 4-4-2003 at 16:57

I see it mentioned on here sometimes... what is E&W?

Skean Dhu - 6-4-2003 at 11:32

its the Explosives & Weapons(roguesci) forum, I'd venture to say that about 30% of the members here are also members at teh E&W forum

FireFly - 6-4-2003 at 21:19

Quote:
Originally posted by Beanspike
I see it mentioned on here sometimes... what is E&W?

http://roguesci.org then click "the forum"
N.P.

Iv4 - 7-6-2003 at 06:37

Just going through old stuff(nothing better to do)but you all seem rather paranoid.No offense but AP is'nt nearly as sensitive as you make it ou to be.Maybe it's because of the crapy precursers I have to use(like 6% h2h02 and h2so4 based toilet cleaner as catalyt).Anyway just to clear it up AN and charcoal make a sort of blackpowder.

A while ago(few months)I heard some rumors about ANFO being set of by a few 100 grams of NC!Suposedly this was because after a few weks of soaking it get's sensitive enough for that to hapen.I seriosly doubt this unles the NC was like a kilo so can anyone confirm this?

madscientist - 7-6-2003 at 09:31

Whether or not an explosive compound will detonate upon being struck (or spontaneously) is a matter of chance. Acetone peroxide is unstable enough (thanks to those weak peroxide bonds) that it can sometimes detonate spontaneously.

Iv4 - 8-6-2003 at 02:50

Ofcourse it's possible in theory but I've never heard of it hapening.Whatever AP we make at BS(used to I should as it seems permanently down)is/was probably too impure.

madscientist - 8-6-2003 at 11:21

Plasma had cleaned acetone peroxide detonate when he placed it in a beaker of water.

Even with the more statistically common sensitivity, acetone peroxide is extremely dangerous. And bombshock never was an authority on these matters.

Iv4 - 8-6-2003 at 23:07

In that I guess it's due to the sheer impurety just about everyone had(3-6% peroxide solvent grade acetone,etc).Either that or the spontanious detonation killed them.

[Edited on 9-6-2003 by Iv4]

Lot ado with AN

Theoretic - 17-6-2003 at 07:10

You can detonate AN with any pyrotechnic mixture in a confined space. Even with a thermite. Heat detonates AN easily when in a confined space. Molten AN is nicely sensitized by combustible liquids.

Lot ado with AN (continued).

Theoretic - 17-6-2003 at 07:25

Melt some AN, but control the temperature, soit doesn't decompose. Then take some copper wire or a copper coin (but please make sure it's not steel coated with copper) and put it in. It will entertain all of your five senses. It will fizz vigorously, giving off lovely hot ammonia, water vapour, nitrogen, oxygen and nitrogen oxides. Not all of the copper nitrate thus produced will decompose, and your liquid will turn a lovely blue colour ( if you turn off the heat as soon as you drop in the coin).
It's all theory, as I deducted the above from the equation of the reaction.
Also, put two inert electrodes in molten AN
and watch as on one electrode, ammonia and water vapour is discharged, and nitrogen oxides and oxygen on the other.
Yee-haw! The fertilizer strikes back!

Iv4 - 18-6-2003 at 06:22

Well NH4NO3 is said to detonate at 500C.The fielemnt in an incadesent lightbulb is at 1200 when white hot.

AN detonation

Theoretic - 18-6-2003 at 06:43

So... you can take a small, 2.5V (or something like that) electric bulb, carefully break the glass and use the rest with the filament for detonation (in a confined space!).

Iv4 - 18-6-2003 at 07:25

I supose so yes.Though their is the problem wheter or not the AN in the light bulb will be able to set of the rest of the charge.

vulture - 19-6-2003 at 00:06

There's no way AN will detonate from the heat of a lightbulb! Search this forum and roguesci and you'll see that there are many who claim it can be done but never succeeded.

AN decomposes into H2O and N2O before the detonation reaction can even commence.

Iv4 - 19-6-2003 at 04:01

Yeah that's what my chemistry book says.But it also says that when heated the last of it explodes.

vulture - 19-6-2003 at 11:15

AN heat detonation only happens in VERY large amounts when the decomposition gases have caused an enormous pressure rise. I am talking about amounts of 10 000kg and higher in a confined space with combustible material.

Iv4 - 21-6-2003 at 02:08

So it's still due to presure?

vulture - 21-6-2003 at 03:06

Yes. Very high temperatures and very high pressures and it is possible. There are some stories on the net about that ship that exploded in texas quite some time ago. It burnt for days IIRC before it finally exploded.

But ofcourse, with flammable material, the oxidizing gasses coming from the AN might initiate a FAE explosion which then triggers the AN det.

Iv4 - 21-6-2003 at 04:05

I assume it would have to be fairly large?

Ramiel - 21-6-2003 at 11:10

It's the largest non-nuclear explosion in history isn't it?

vulture - 22-6-2003 at 02:26

I guess it would be, considering the blast wave damaged property up to 20 miles away :o

I wonder if there was any soul left in Texas city with proper hearing after that blast. Bwah, blast is a word too weak to describe it....

Twed The Terrible - 1-7-2003 at 10:13

00Buckshot, this could help you.

A good way to spot if AN is in a fertiliser, is to look at the back of the box. You are seeking a fertiliser that contains equal portions of nitric nitrogen, and ammonical nitrogem. So if the back says

17.5% nitric nitrogen
17.5% ammonical nitrogen

you are right on. AN is present in the fertiliser. Oh, and DO NOT get ammonical and nitric nitrogen confused with ureic nitrogen, as urea is not what we're after.
The ammonium nitrate products I have access to in the UK come in the form of 'Gem Nitrate Chalk' fertiliser, or calcium ammonium nitrate. It is a mix of ammonium nitrate and calcium carbonate. Of course, not every brand of fertiliser containing impure AN will have calcium carbonate as the contaminant, but due to AN's great solubility in water, it is usually possible to purify fertiliser by dissolving, filtering, and then evaporating off excess water to obtain pure AN.

It is easy to remove the impurities from most fertiliser to produce pure AN, because the contaminants are not water soluble as AN certainly is. All I do is pour the crude fertiliser (little brownish prills) into a pan, and add hot water to it, and stir a little while to give the AN time to dissolve. Now, simply filter the AN solution. You don't need posh filters to do this, kitchen roll works fine. Just fold it over a few times to ensure it doesn't break up under the weight of the AN solution it is filtering.

It is wise to filter multiple times until no visible residue of the impurity is present on the filter. Once you are satisfied the insoluble impurutues are removed, allow the pan to boil for a good while until most of the water is gone. Do not boil the pan dry expecting to see AN crystals precipitating though, as the AN will maintain a liquid form under high temperatures, and evaporate off, creating some nasty fumes, and going to waste. It takes some practice to be able to tell when to stop boiling the water off, but here is a way you can tell.

Dip a metal spoon into the solution and then remove it. If white crystals form quickly, you should stop heating. If not, keep boiling.

When the water has been sufficiently boiled down, pour the contents of the pan into a different container and give the solution a minute to cool down. During this period, you will see the formation of solid AN, as materials are much less soluble at low temperatures than higer ones.

It will look like a yellow liquid at first, kinda like piss, then as more and more crystals precipitate, the solution will become thicker and thicker.

Next, drive off all remaining water from the AN by heating it with a hairdryer. Fix one in position over the AN container and just let it do its work. Don't put it on max setting though or it could burn out.

You will get a white, slighly yellowish tinted solid then. Store it in an airtight container (as AN absorbs water from the air), until ready for use.

Would you be interested in me adding pics to my process there?

Here is the product I extract my AN from.

I don't think ANAP mixes are that suicidal. ANAP performs well with only 8% AP, cap sensetive but not horribly dangerous as some people seem to think. I have heard of people using 20% AP for ANAP mixes. This is easier to detonate but one would assume more dangerous.

(I know buckshot's question is from a while back, but the info may as well go here as anywhere else)

[Edited on 1-7-2003 by Twed The Terrible]

DavidThePyro - 2-7-2003 at 14:30

In case anyone was wondering, the NPK (nitrogen:phosphorus:potassium) numbers for ammonium nitrate are 34:0:0. This might be useful for anyone looking for AN fertilizer.

Madog - 2-7-2003 at 15:45

with APAN, theres a problem with the AN being slightly acidic with the presence of water. obviously not too good, dont store it.

also, i wouldnt have too high a percentage of AP, sience with a lower percentage a shockwave going through the whole thing nicely is required to detonate, a small section could be detonated with a shitty messy shockwave(like a bullet hit) but it wont spread too well sience its not nice shockwave for self sustaining.

obviously, this means it is best to use round containers with a det in the middle.

i apologise if this post is repeated information

Theoretic - 8-7-2003 at 06:45

Is it true that mixing Al powder, charcoal, fuel oil or the like reducing agent, you can increase its explosive power 3 times?:o

Iv4 - 11-7-2003 at 09:37

I dont honestly understand how APAN,APPN(AP,potasium Nitrate)work.Anyways An ANFO mixture of gasoline throrglhy soaked(left for 3 days and blneded till flufly)is supsedly cap sensntive.

Madog - 24-7-2003 at 11:47

no way man.

try acetone peroxide detonator in a small charge of ANAP, which is placed in the ANFO

Quick question

meader - 29-8-2003 at 16:23

Quick question...

What is the result of replacing Acetone with Desil when making ANFO?

People has said in this thread its suicidal
to do so.

Does it increase the sensitivity that much? I "dreamed" ;) that I had a mixture of ANFO (with desil) and added MG to the mix instead of AL.

And im currentley thinking about wether it would be posible to set it off with large ammounts of pressed AP, which im confident will work if the AP is set off within the anfo in a sealed metal construction.

Kind Regards, Tom:D:D

chemoleo - 29-8-2003 at 16:42

I am not sure what exactly you mean. ANFO is most commonly AN with diesel fuel. you can set it off with some high explosive like PETN etc or a large amount of primary explosive (as I found out myself, i.e. HMTD, or probably also AP) (12g plus). Al or Mg Powder will increase sensitity, and make a very powerful mix. be careful :)

[Edited on 30-8-2003 by chemoleo]

Sorry

meader - 31-8-2003 at 07:16

Yea I made a mistake on the last post. what I meant was to add Acetone Instead of Desil as the "FO"?

Iv4 - 18-9-2003 at 08:35

Not to insult you ior so but I seriosly doubt 12grams of AP or HMTD will set of ANFO.50 grams work very though(well APAN).

I found out how APAN works.Nothing chemical or particulerly intersting its just conctating the shock.Since every particle of AN is very small and surrounded by AP which goes of prety much at once the shock per particle is enough to set of the AN.

In theory I supose it might work with ANFO if it werent for he fact that AP wont go of when its wet.

Theoretic - 6-10-2003 at 07:20

"AMMONIUM NITRATE (NH4NO3)

SYNONYMS
None known.
CHARACTERISTICS
Colourless to white hygroscopic crystals or granules.
INCOMPATIBILITY
Ammonium nitrate reacts violently or explodes with metal powders, chlorides, organic matter, phosphorus, sodium hypochlorite and sodium perchlorate. Also reacts violently with combustible substances and spontaneously combusts with reducing agents.
Heating produces toxic fumes of nitrogen compounds.
HEALTH HAZARD DATA
This substance is hygroscopic and a strong oxidising agent. Whilst it is not a combustible substance it nevertheless enhances combustion of other substances. It is an eye, skin and respiratory tract irritant, an allergen and toxic. It may be absorbed into the body by inhalation and ingestion. After ingestion blood disorders may occur. Serious cases may result in coma and death. Skin and eye contact produces localised redness and pain. Inhalation can produce a sore throat, coughing and shortness of breath. Ingestion may cause dizziness, abdominal spasm, nausea, vomiting, faintness, weakness, convulsions, bluish skin and collapse.
HANDLING and GENERAL PRECAUTIONS
Avoid skin and eye contact.
Avoid inhalation or ingestion of the powder.
Keep away from heat.
Keep away from moisture.
Keep away from combustible substances.
Keep away from reducing agents.
Keep away from metal powders.
Keep away from strong bases.
Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
Wear protective clothing to avoid skin or eye contact, inhalation or ingestion. A long sleeved laboratory coat or gown, rubber gloves, safety goggles and a face mask as a minimum standard.
TREATMENTS
Skin ­ remove contaminated clothing and immediately wash the affected area with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If pain persists seek medical attention. Wash contaminated clothing before re­use.
Eyes ­ immediately wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation or pain persist seek medical attention.
Inhalation ­ remove from the area of exposure to fresh air. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration. Keep warm and allow to rest. Seek medical attention.
Ingestion ­ wash out the mouth thoroughly with water and give two to four glasses of water to drink. Induce vomiting by touching a finger to the back of the throat. Seek immediate medical attention.
STORAGE
Keep the container lid tightly closed and store in a cool, dry atmosphere away from moisture, heat and incompatible substances.
DISPOSAL
Wear rubber gloves, safety glasses and laboratory coat.
SPILLS: Solid - small spill. Collect in a beaker, dissolve in a large amount of water. Add soda ash, mix and neutralise with 6M hydrochloric acid and discharge to sewer with large excess of water.
Solution - cover with soda ash, mix and scoop into a beaker of water. Neutralise with 6M hydrochloric acid and discharge to sewer with a large excess of water.
PACKAGE LOTS: Add slowly to a large container of water. Stir in a slight excess of soda ash. Let stand for 24 hours. Decant or siphon into another container and neutralise with 6M hydrochloric acid. Dispose of by waste disposal contractor. The sludge may be added to land fill.
ENVIRONMENT
This substance is a pollutant and should be contained."
So, AN is more scary :D than we think :D.

Iv4 - 13-10-2003 at 02:50

Most flamable things do tend to form a powerfull(in a comparetive sort of way)LE.Thats probably what theyre refering to.

Theoretic - 13-10-2003 at 04:46

Well, by them, it's very easy to get AN to detonate (huh, chlorides! - mix AN with salt to detonate!). If that'd be true, this thread would not exist.

Iv4 - 14-10-2003 at 04:59

I supose they consider defalration to be detonation.

How much energy does it take to set of AN?I read it was abou 200 megajoules but the reference was just something in a yahoo group.

AN/Acetone

IgnorantlyIntelligent - 16-10-2003 at 18:16

I dreamt once that I had 4lbs of AN/Acetone at a ratio of 95/5 in an air-tight bucket in my shed. In the dream, I was all out of AP and had no peroxide to make more.
Has any of you ever used acetone to sensitize AN?
If so, how big of a det./booster did you use?

I normaly dream of using 100g of ANAP in a ratio of 1:1. I detonated this size booster off in a field near a friends house with no main charge (just the booster). WOW!

*snipped*

Remember, all in a dream ;)

Edit by Polverone: Around here we don't make pipe bombs or even dream about them. Even sensitized ammonium nitrate isn't all that sensitive. You need a real primary.

[Edited on 10-17-2003 by Polverone]

Iv4 - 2-11-2003 at 05:43

Was that 1:1 APAN by weight or volume?

I've experimented with it somewhat before I prety much went downhill and its power/sensetivety are inversly proptional and power is almost directly proportional to the amount of AN.

1:1(by weight)is almost the same as normal AP but 1:4 needs a gram or two of AP to set it of.

11 page reference of nearly every possible problem

[Edited on 2-11-2003 by Iv4]

IgnorantlyIntelligent - 6-11-2003 at 14:25

It was by volume, i weighed the charge after AN and AP was diapered together.
This is only a booster for my main charges. I posted that post awhile ago and it is not important now because I have peroxide again and have AP.
If anyone would like to answer my question I thank you though.
BTW I just dreamt about blowing up a garbage can in my alley with a stick of ammonium dynamite. HINT: fill up the garbage cantainer with water first ;)

listen up

Polverone - 6-11-2003 at 18:11

Ammonium nitrate sensitized with acetone peroxides has been discussed to death elsewhere. I don't want to hear about things you blew up unless you can make a really entertaining story of it and not sound like a reckless fool in the telling.

I don't know how many times I will have to say this, but I'm already getting tired of saying it: sciencemadness is a forum about amateur experimental chemistry. It's not another pyro board, though chemically inclined pyros are welcome.

I don't want to have to hit people over the head with this point, but it looks like subtle hints don't always work and people are either not reading or disregarding the FAQ. The next bozo who posts about explosives or explosions without including some chemistry content gets his posting abilities revoked for a week.

If in the future people are interested in discussing more theoretical or chemical aspects of ammonium nitrate based explosives, they'll start a new thread, since this one is closed now.