Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Peptide synthesis is awesome

draculic acid69 - 16-3-2019 at 21:28

One of my favourite things to do is watch chem videos on YouTube and the other day I stumbled upon a solid phase peptide synthesis video.its an extremely easy way to join all the amino Acids together and with the price of chemicals,amino acids and solvents it looks like it could also be extremely profitable.i was checking the price of a certain bodybuilding supplement peptide and it is retailing at $40 Australian for 5 mg so $8000 per gram or 8 million a kilo.is this possibly the biggest markup in synthesis history or is there a reason I can't see apart from sigma Aldrichs price of the rink amide resin as to why there priced so high? this is still a very exciting area of chem making a peptide is now on my list of things to do.

XeonTheMGPony - 17-3-2019 at 05:53

Purification most likely is the wrench in your dream machine.

To ensure a good pure sample takes allot of energy or effort (Usually both) add to the lost product in each stage of the process, then handling losses, packaging losses, over head to run the plant.

There is more to the price then the substance its self, you're paying for the capitol investment of the machinery, the power bill, the labor cost of the employees, the stationary, so on, then the mark up for the brand name, then finally the resales mark up.

ANY thing you buy at the store has been marked up on average by 100%, 50% sales you are actually just getting the product at its true whole sale cost.

So lets say you buy all the reagents, the glass wear, the mas spec/ftir and other testing gear to make it, then sell it at just the raw price how long will you afford to do it and get to do things like eat?

I am speaking in general of all products here. Some times it is massively cheaper to just make it our selfs in small samples, but second you try to scale up it shifts fast

IE I just made some basic chems, it took near 1 solid week of work, most of that was ensuring all my reagents where pure as I could get them, lots of energy to boil down solutions and dehydrate them, consumed half a liter of acetone, 250ml of anhydrous ethanol, If I where to sell this how would I recover any of the time and energy for it to sell at raw material costs so I could buy more raw materials and continue to process them?

unionised - 17-3-2019 at 06:29

There are also a few legal issues.
Patents, licensing compliance etc.

The companies that did the R+D which tell you that the peptide you mention is valuable will not take kindly to your exploiting their work without paying them for it.

brubei - 17-3-2019 at 09:20

I made solid phase peptide synthesis many years before (8 AA sequence).

Difficulty of the synthesis is sometime very impredictible, specially with long peptide because you still have to manage protection/deprotection, folding. By the way, solid supported synthesis only offer very small scale of production because 99% of your weight is the support.

draculic acid69 - 17-3-2019 at 19:14

Obviously I considered cost of time,purification,equip, electric,lost product during different stages,and at 8 million a kilo and let's say it cost you 100000 to synthesise a kilo that's still a lot more than 100% markup.

draculic acid69 - 31-3-2019 at 07:03

Brubei can you tell me a bit more about solid phase peptide synthesis.if you started with say 100 grams of beads how much could be synthed from it making an 8aa long peptide at a time.can the beads be regenerated after each run? What kind of analysis equipment if any is essential for synthesis.if I was to do this I plan on sending a sample of the product for analysis and if I did make the product successfully what kind of purification would be needed to isolate it without anything else in it? Is this do-able in a amatuer lab setting?

Ubya - 31-3-2019 at 10:29

i don't think that the only costs are manifacturing costs, to sell a product that has to be eaten/injected i'm pretty sure you need many approvals and/or certificates, and i guess they are not cheap.
testing equipment is expensive so you need probably a third party lab to analize your merch, then i bet there are taxes to pay for everything, you probably need an insurance in case someone gets hurt/ill with your product.
i don't know the numbers but if it was only for manifacturing costs saline solution should be nearly free, but it's not

draculic acid69 - 31-3-2019 at 10:59

These places that sell these peptides exist in the grey market area on the internet probably selling Chinese product or the whole operation is based in China so forget insurance they're sold as for research purposes only not for human consumption.forget licensing theyre a warehouse without a storefront that only does business over the net.after production, purification,analysis, and bottling it gets put in a box to the customer who then ingest it.no certificates no approvals no licenses.

Ubya - 31-3-2019 at 12:23

so you are nit aiming at a buisiness project but more at a meth lab kind of product?

draculic acid69 - 31-3-2019 at 15:00

No not at all my aim is to synth a peptide for my own use in an amatuer setting.i will not consume product until it's been analysed and purified extensively.meth lab standards will not be acceptable to me.if you Google drug labs and search the images
you can easily tell a meth lab from a ecstacy lab.theyre always filthier.anyways I still need more info on pepsyn before I even attempt it.once attempted and succeeded I'll look into possibilities from there.probably won't end up selling them though unless I make it my path in life to r&d peptides which if it intrigues me as much then as it does now I just might.

[Edited on 31-3-2019 by draculic acid69]

CharlieA - 31-3-2019 at 16:42

Note also that the unit price of a product goes down drastically as the quantity in a sale increases. The sale at one time of 1 kg of the product would be considerably less than $8/mg.

draculic acid69 - 4-4-2019 at 00:47

Yeah I was referring to its retail price. If there manufacturing and retailing that's a real sweet business model$$$$$$$
Found this last night https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sSoAkvfgNMQ
It's a machine that uses microwave synthesis to give high yeilds of peptides in a quarter of the time.

brubei - 4-4-2019 at 11:40

I think amateur chemistry is a very hazardous way to make intravenous solutions. I have seen the damages caused by bad injection practice on some people... quite dirty. However there is some methods for detecting insoluble particles with LASER that can be discussed.
Also there is no thread on peptide synthesis so that's a good opportunity to share experience , even if it is like starting with whey :D

[Edited on 4-4-2019 by brubei]

draculic acid69 - 7-4-2019 at 01:57

I have a fear of needles but I'm quite confident in my ability to make something of a high enough quality. I won't be touching anything that hasn't been analysed and exceptionally purified.

unionised - 7-4-2019 at 04:29

"Peptide synthesis is awesome"
Well, I wouldn't say that, but it's growing on me.