Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Plants High in Triglycerides

Abromination - 21-3-2019 at 22:04

I have been studying biodiesel fuel and plan do a project involving biodiesel for the national science far next year. I was originally planning on determining which oils formed the most efficient fuel, although I recently had an idea. What if we took a versitle plant capable of growing and thriving in harsh conditions, extracted the fatty acid tryglycerides from the plant and made fuel out of that? Problem is I'm not sure what such plant is highest in extractable triglycerides. A google search was not sufficient, so I was wondering if anyone else had any good insite.

Metacelsus - 21-3-2019 at 23:38

Search for "oil crops." Some are suited to harsh conditions.

Abromination - 23-3-2019 at 13:18

Quote: Originally posted by Metacelsus  
Search for "oil crops." Some are suited to harsh conditions.

Thank you, that was very helpful.

pneumatician - 23-8-2021 at 16:48

Castor oil???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_oil

Dr.Bob - 1-9-2021 at 10:45

Canola, aka rapeseed, oil, is good for biodiesel and grows in Canada, not sure how well in Alaska.

The best sources of oils are tropical plants, like palm trees, and a few other bushes that have oily seeds. But they don't grow in cool climates.

karlosĀ³ - 1-9-2021 at 22:54

I would think that some high oleic (acid) sunflower oil would contain high amounts of triglycerides, isn't the oleic acid present as triglyceride in the oil?

If so, then it would probably be the best source for this, as these high oleic sunflowers produce up to percentages in the high 80s(of oleic acid, esterified or not) in their oil :o