Sciencemadness Discussion Board

polymer identification

appetsbud - 2-11-2010 at 13:33

hi guys, i soon will have a bit of unidentified rubberish membrane that was originally part of some sort of water resevoir. I want to find out what it is. i imagine it is going to be either PVC, rubber (of some sort) , or a polythene type substance.

to check for pvc i will probably thermolyse and check for presence of acidity in gasses due to hcl.

any advice for the others, or suggestions as to tests for other potential materials would be greatly appreciated.

[Edited on 2-11-2010 by appetsbud]

not_important - 2-11-2010 at 14:57

A simply burn test on a sliver can classify many types of plastic. Touching it with a piece of thick hot copper wire, then holding that in a colourless flame will generally identify halogenated plastics by the green-blue copper colour that appears briefly; heat the wire in the same flame to both heat and make sure it's not adding colour on its own.