Sciencemadness Discussion Board

hydrazine anhydrous to hydrazine sulfate

jamit - 16-4-2019 at 08:02

I have a small bottle, about 50ml of hydrazine anhydrous. It's still in an unopen can with the bottle inside, vacuum sealed. I would like to turn it into something more safe, I don't want it around.

Any idea what I should do with it? Anyone worked with this stuff and any idea on how to turn it into hydrazine sulfate? Should I first dilute it with water and then add sulfuric acid to make hydrazine sulfate?

Any help or suggestions?

Tsjerk - 16-4-2019 at 08:51

I would first think of what you want to do with the sulfate. Do you need it to be anhydrous? If not that would simplify things. It would get simplified even further if you would for example need it ten percent concentrated in water.

mackolol - 16-4-2019 at 10:52

Personally i would blow the hydrazine up and made myself some hydrazine sulfate as its easy and cheap to make

woelen - 16-4-2019 at 12:44

Hydrazine anhydrous is nasty stuff. I would dilute it and make a 35% solution of hydrazine in water. I myself have such a solution and it stores very well and can be handled safely without any fumes.

Go outside, take a clean beaker of 200 ml, put 100 ml of distilled water in it and then slowly add the hydrazine to it in small portions of 5 ml or so. After each small addition, stir with a clean glass or plastic rod. After this mixing you have around 30% - 35% hydrazine in water. A very interesting chemical (e.g. in making transition metal complexes or as a clean and easy to use reductor), and easy to store in any glass bottle with a decent plastic screw cap. The 35% solution is not really corrosive. Plain household ammonia at 15% is more pungent and corrosive than the 35% hydrazine solution.

I would not make a sulfate salt of it. This sulfate salt has fairly low solubility in water and the reactivity is reduced a lot. As with ammonia vs. ammonium salts, the free hydrazine is much more interesting than the hydrazinium salt.

[Edited on 16-4-19 by woelen]