Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Hexamine from Esbit tablets

xwinorb - 17-11-2010 at 18:23

I would like to know if hexamine from Esbit tablets would be OK to use in a sulfuric modified Duff formylation as proposed by Ullman.

Does the waxy binder causes any problems ?

I have used it for other things, the hexamine from Esbit tablets works very well to make methylamine.HCl, for instance, it is not necessary to separate the waxy binder.

I rather use the Esbit, 1.5 packs provide circa 250 g of hexamine, one less chemical to store in bulk.

Just in case, I will post the results of the formylation when I do it. Most probably next year, I am busy with work and other things

crazyboy - 17-11-2010 at 18:32

You might be able to get away with it but in general it is never a good idea to use reagents with unknown quantities of inert compounds and binders. I would try to purify it, however if you try recrystallization which is the simplest way you may have a hard time getting it dry.

spirocycle - 19-11-2010 at 09:12

dont those tablets usually have hexamine AND trioxane?

hissingnoise - 19-11-2010 at 09:55

Quote: Originally posted by crazyboy  
I would try to purify it, however if you try recrystallization which is the simplest way you may have a hard time getting it dry.

Hexamine is easy to prepare by simply mixing CH2(OH)2 and an excess of NH4OH.
I've never had problems with evaporation to dryness!

xwinorb - 19-11-2010 at 21:33

I have once looked at the tablets composition information from Esbit, I think they say it is only hexamine and an inert ingredient, but don't mention in what proportion.

I have used it to make methylamine, and I had no problems, and I have seen posted that it is not necessary to remove the waxy binder. After reacting it shows up as a white coating on the inside of the boiling flask. It is easy to remove with acetone.

If someone knows more than I do please post.