Sciencemadness Discussion Board

What is colloidal gold?

highhills - 1-12-2010 at 20:24

I would like to ask some questions regarding the uses of Colloidal Gold. Is it the same as colloidal silver? Can it be use as colloidal silver? Some doctors say that it is used in making the drugs. Is it true? Should it also kept in liquid form as the colloidal silver? If you got any kinds information about it, then please inform me.

[Edited on 12-2-2010 by Polverone]

Polverone - 1-12-2010 at 20:56

This seems like quackery promotion with a side of spamming but since colloids are interesting I leave the thread open for now, having removed the commercial link.

psychokinetic - 1-12-2010 at 22:00

Re: Drugs. It's a decent drug carrier. Don't know anything about manufacture.

I also recall one of my lecturers saying it can be used in some way to aid tumour detection.

DDTea - 1-12-2010 at 22:09

I know a professor who was seeking to functionalize colloidal gold particles with carbohydrate ligands. The logic was that these ligands would specifically bind to certain receptors on cancerous cells. Once bound, these cancerous cells would incorporate the colloidal gold and be killed. Cool idea. Of course, there were a host of complications with this idea (mostly that cancerous cells are quite unpredictable in their structure/mechanisms of action) so it remains to be seen if this will have practical application!

Freddybaby - 18-3-2011 at 17:02

Here is a somewhat commercial link to making your own

http://www.ehow.com/how_5794704_make-colloidal-gold-home.htm...

Fleaker - 22-3-2011 at 22:10

Purple of Cassius is said to be colloidal gold.

I've done it with HEPES (that made nanoparticles, pretty purple solution) and also with ascorbic acid (this gives you a larger particle that is red in solution)