Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Water vapor vs steam from H2O2 decomposition

RogueRose - 25-5-2019 at 17:20

On a similar subject to my previous H2O2 thread, I’ve been dealing with an issue of a way to decompose H2O2 to the point where I get water vapor and no steam. This has nothing to do with using the O2 for welding gas..

The decomp temp is ~300F but I believe that is thermal decomposition, IDK if catalytic decomp produces the same temp or if it can happen at a lower temp, although it probably also releases a good bit of heat. I would think that the concentration of H2O2 would also effect the temp as the more water that is in the solution, the more mass there is to absorb any water vapor/steam from decomp.

What would be useful is to have the water from the H2O2 that decomposes in the form of vapor, along with the O2. The temp can be high and it might even be beneficial, I have to run some numbers of the the thermal expansion over the temps of O2 and water vapor.

I assume that water vapor requires the same energy (calories) to raise the temp to boiling and or turn to steam, as normal water of the same temp and mass, of does the vapor have different characteristics?

It is possible to cool the catalyst to some degree or even have a small condenser/cooling line “above” the decomp chamber should the decomp turn to steam – but the problem then is I would have condensed water and no vapor in the stream (I could draw the hot condensed water into the O2/air stream with a venturi pump which might atomize the hot condensed water – but that is A LOT more effort than I would like to do – which is why starting with H2O vapor is ideal).