Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Formalin chemistry

XeonTheMGPony - 31-5-2019 at 17:26

by fluke luck I acquired 12L of 37% formaldehyde / 12% methanol solution for practically nothing money wise.

I think it was Nile reads channel that had some synths that used it, but there must been others.

So generally just looking for ideas.

DavidJR - 31-5-2019 at 18:08

Formalin is dirt cheap.

You could use it to make methylamine hydrochloride by reaction with ammonium chloride, if that would be useful for you.

Metacelsus - 31-5-2019 at 23:24

You could use it to preserve some biological specimens (dilute it to 4% first).

Alkoholvergiftung - 31-5-2019 at 23:47

You can makek the explosvie Formit. Its an Reaktion between Ammoniumnitrate and Formaldehyde. It was used in ww2 from the german army. hexamethylentrinitramin. and no i dont have the Synthesis because i cant finde more informations About it Maybe some one here know more.:)

Ubya - 1-6-2019 at 03:42

condensation with acetaldahyde gives pentaerythritol, that can be nitrated to PETN.
hexamine is made by combining formaldehyde and ammonia, nitration of hexamine than gives RDX.
formaldehyde with phenol makes bakelite plastic.
there are many uses for formaldehyde, as reagent or as biological fissative

XeonTheMGPony - 1-6-2019 at 04:25

Quote: Originally posted by Alkoholvergiftung  
You can makek the explosvie Formit. Its an Reaktion between Ammoniumnitrate and Formaldehyde. It was used in ww2 from the german army. hexamethylentrinitramin. and no i dont have the Synthesis because i cant finde more informations About it Maybe some one here know more.:)

basically RDX by the sounds of it, but will look into that as I have all ready made RDX

XeonTheMGPony - 1-6-2019 at 05:00

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
condensation with acetaldahyde gives pentaerythritol, that can be nitrated to PETN.

Now that will be a very use full thing to do!