Sciencemadness Discussion Board

3A Zeolite

XeonTheMGPony - 17-6-2019 at 16:04

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Difantool-Molecular-Sieve-Zeolite-3A...

Ordered two hundred grams, arrived in good condition quality packaged.

Messaged about regen temp, promptly responded with operating temp and regen temp.

Thought I'd share.

Abromination - 17-6-2019 at 21:57

Good to know, when I get the chance I will try these.
Thanks for sharing!

XeonTheMGPony - 18-6-2019 at 07:24

Regen temp: 180c to 500c, recommended 350c

Operating: 0c - 38c recommended 8c-12c

Fore these particular ones.

Going to vacuum dry in a 500ml flask and monitor via thermal couple, via claisen adapter and vacuum take off fitting. Monitor end point via vacuum micron gauge.

Ubya - 18-6-2019 at 15:03

oh lucky me then, i won last week an auction for 500g of sieves from this seller for $8,59, if you say they are good quality i'm even happier

XeonTheMGPony - 18-6-2019 at 17:38

Well the packaging certainly is good quality, hermetical sealed Mylar bags with a resealable strip in them. Very vague on instructions though, so I had to contact them, for the 3A variant the specs are up top.

XeonTheMGPony - 23-6-2019 at 05:37

Figured I'd show the alcohol I use and the steps to purify it

this is the type, they use Ethyl Acetate as the denaturent and that's it, in low concentrations too.

Alcohol source.jpg - 256kB

So Step one (No pics sorry) Reflux over Sodium Hydroxide for a few hours, then distill, this is what you're left with:

Purifying Alcohol 1.jpg - 231kB

Then you repeat with fresh Hydroxide, you'll see the distillate tailings is much cleaner

Second purifying run.jpg - 196kB

Distill again and then dry over Magnesium Sulfate, Anhydrous (Sorry forgot to take pics), then filter off to fresh dry flask.

Purifying Alcohol 2.jpg - 177kB

Now for the part you where all expecting: Add your Molecular sieves and let stand till needed!

Final drying 1.jpg - 214kB Final drying 2.jpg - 178kB

To regenerate I will heat in a flask with a condenser attached to recover any ethanol that comes off, then once that stops will continue to heat under vacuum to regen temp

[Edited on 23-6-2019 by XeonTheMGPony]