Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Synthesis of longer chain tertiary alcohols

Pages:  1    3    5

aga - 26-12-2015 at 09:08

10ml α-pinene
20ml 15 v/v% H2SO4
125ml acetone

were mixed in a 250ml RBF and setup for reflux with stirring in an oil bath on a hotplate.

The mixture was held at between 85 and 90 C for 3.5 hours.

Boiling did not occur until 84 C, and the acetone was seen refluxing below the 1st bulb of the Allihn condenser at all times

(maybe the temperature can be raised to speed up the process).

reflux1.JPG - 217kB

After the 3.5 hours refluxing, the mixture remained a clear colourless liquid.

post-reflux-hot.JPG - 110kB

After briefly cooling in a water bath it became cloudy.

post-reflux-cold.JPG - 112kB

15 w% NaOH soloution was added in 1ml portions to the liquid with stirring to achieve a pH of 7~8. The amount added was 26ml.

The pH was tested by using half a pH strip on the end of tweezers to dip into the RBF.

Despite stirring, it was noted that there was a pH ~6 Upper layer in the liquid, as sampling required the pH strip to be immersed to a depth of at least 3mm before the end of the strip showed any colour change.

After adding the NaOH, a large amount of white precipitate had formed, and the mixture had an oily upper layer.

naoh-added.JPG - 144kB

The RBF was then setup for simple distillation to remove the bulk of the acetone, again in an oil bath on a hotplate with stirring.
(i find that stirring when distilling this kind of stuff eliminates bumping altogether)

After 25 minutes of distillation the vapour temperature began to climb, and the liquid in the boiling pot was showing phase separation, so the distillation was stopped.

The residue in the RBF had become orange/brown in colour, with a small yet obvious oily upper layer.

The white precipitate had disappeared altogether.

acetone boiled off.JPG - 144kB

The RBF was cooled in a water bath, then the contents transferred to a 100ml separatory funnel and left to stand for 5 minutes.

insep.JPG - 153kB

The lower aqueous layer was drained into a 100ml beaker.

After draining the lower layer, a very small third reddish layer was seen and drained off into a test tube.

orange stuff.JPG - 132kB

Finally the upper (product) layer was drained into a 25ml RBF.

Total 'product' weight was 1.72g, although some of the red residue can be seen in the product.

results.JPG - 141kB

[Edited on 26-12-2015 by aga]

blogfast25 - 26-12-2015 at 10:06

Very nicely executed, aga.

The "large amount of white precipitate" I suspect was Na2SO4, with the acetone acting as anti-solvent. When removing the acetone that Na2SO4 then redissolved in the watery phase.

Mystery: the formation of reddish precipitate during the distilling off the acetone.

A bit disappointing: the small yield.

Encouraging: the formation of an organic layer during refluxing. It clearly shows some transformation of raw material.

Before anything else, any solids in the crude product will have to be removed before we attempt any further work-up. Perhaps filtration on a mini-funnel with a high porosity filter medium?

For any follow-ups it would be wise to separate the organic and watery/acetone phases after the addition of the NaOH. I hadn't anticipated phase separation at that point. (The acetone could then be recovered from the watery/acetone mixture.)

Ideas/suggestions for purification remain welcome. My idea was thermal crystallisation from a water/EtOH mixture.

[Edited on 26-12-2015 by blogfast25]

aga - 26-12-2015 at 11:06

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
For any follow-ups it would be wise to separate the organic and watery/acetone phases after the addition of the NaOH.

That did occur to me, just there was no room in the procedure for it.

The upper layer was quite large at that point - larger than the post-acetone-distillation upper layer.

I have a suspicion that the acetone removal might be avoided altogether with a little bit more 'salting out', perhaps with K2CO3

Before anything else, any solids in the crude product will have to be removed

There are no solids i can see in the product.

The red stuff is also a liquid, although imiscible with the product

gdflp - 26-12-2015 at 11:40

Ideas/suggestions for purification remain welcome. My idea was thermal crystallisation from a water/EtOH mixture.

Formation of a solid derivative, followed by recrystallization and decomposition would probably work quite well; especially on the small amounts which aga has. Solid esters should work , as they allow for easy recovery of the alcohol through saponification. The only issue is that the required reagents aren't necessarily the easiest to obtain, unless aga has some 3,5-dinitrobenzoyl chloride laying around.:D In this particular case however, the benzoate ester is almost certainly a solid as well so benzoyl chloride could be substituted. Still not the easiest to obtain, but worst comes to worst, a straight fischer esterification with benzoic acid would probably work instead at the cost of a slightly lower yield.

aga - 26-12-2015 at 13:06

Got some sodium benzoate if that helps.

Edit:

Might be a good idea to redo the whole thing and grab the stuff that separated after neutralising the acid.

gdflp - 26-12-2015 at 13:22

Great, conversion to benzoic acid is as easy as dissolving in water and acidifying with an acid of your choice.

Would you happen to have any S<sub>2</sub>Cl<sub>2</sub> still? If so, you can reflux it with benzoic acid to form benzoyl chloride which can then be distilled off and used to directly react with the alcohol.

Remember, this is more involved then the crystallization from aq. EtOH, so I would call this more of a fallback idea if that doesn't work.

aga - 26-12-2015 at 13:39

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
Great, conversion to benzoic acid is as easy as dissolving in water and acidifying with an acid of your choice.

Would you happen to have any S<sub>2</sub>Cl<sub>2</sub> still?

Happily Not !

S<sub>2</sub>Cl<sub>2</sub> eats everything i put it in, including glass *

It can easily be made, so no difficulty in having some - briefly - if you have a reaction scheme in mind that needs it.

* it did not 'eat' glass, just that sulphur deposits stuck the stopper so hard that the rbf and glass stopper broke when i wanted to get it out.

aga - 26-12-2015 at 13:51

Hold on a sec.

Would directly chlorinating the sodium benzoate not give NaCl and benzoyl chloride ?

gdflp - 26-12-2015 at 14:04

Unfortunately, no. There's an extra oxygen that you made disappear.;)

If you don't have any on hand, I don't think that the slight increase in yield is worth making it. As I said, I would try blogfast's idea first as long as he has some sort of reference to back it up. I'm not sure how he wants you to crystallize it since it melts at ~ -36°C.

aga - 26-12-2015 at 14:10

Ok.

We will have to await the Master's pronouncement then.

(Damn. I like making S2Cl2 - such an Interactive synthesis)

Meanwhile i think Plan B should be to grab that pile of stuff that floats after adding the acid neutralising agent.

blogfast25 - 26-12-2015 at 16:09

Quote: Originally posted by aga  

Meanwhile i think Plan B should be to grab that pile of stuff that floats after adding the acid neutralising agent.

Totally Agreed. As I wrote: I didn't anticipate formation of an organic layer after neutralisation. It's a good sign, IMHO.

I'm not in favour of converting such a small amount to yet something else, for purification purposes only. It just adds more pieces to the puzzle.

So let me think about the next move, using what little we have as guinea pig.

Pure α-terpineol is reported to be a white, crystalline solid, MP 35 - 40 C. That's why I'm hoping some thermal re-crystallisation could work. Need to think of the right solvent and quantities, though...

[Edited on 27-12-2015 by blogfast25]

blogfast25 - 26-12-2015 at 16:11

I'm not sure how he wants you to crystallize it since it melts at ~ -36°C.

From what I gather the -36 C is a Wiki error: most sources have the MP at +35 to +40 C. That makes more sense to me.

aga - 27-12-2015 at 06:32

Some crystals have formed in the 'product' overnight.

crystals.JPG - 148kB

gdflp - 27-12-2015 at 08:03

From what I gather the -36 C is a Wiki error: most sources have the MP at +35 to +40 C. That makes more sense to me.

Now that you say that, it does make a lot more sense. Considering that tertiary alcohols with fewer carbons, such as t-butanol, melt at ~25°C, it follows that pure a-terpineol should melt at a higher temperature than that. I suppose I should have looked further than wiki.

Since that is the case, conversion to a benzoate is less useful, as the main purpose is to give a solid which can easily be recrystallized. The only issue I can see with the thermal crystallization is oiling out if terpineol starts crashing out above 35°C.

blogfast25 - 27-12-2015 at 08:14

The only issue I can see with the thermal crystallization is oiling out if terpineol starts crashing out above 35°C.

The only other issue I see is that we know 'WTF' about solubilities of alpha-terpineol in various solvents. The only quantitative and credible ref. so far is:

Quote:
1:8 OR MORE IN 50% ALCOHOL

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/alpha-TERPINEOL#se...

One possibility could be cold acetone, then slowly adding cold water to the solution as an anti-solvent.

blogfast25 - 27-12-2015 at 08:17

Some crystals have formed in the 'product' overnight.

Wow. Didn't even see that there right away!

Fleshy computer now crunching away, meeting 'overload' errors...

Tidbit: I estimate the organic layer in the photo below (after reflux and after neutralisation) to be about 10 ml, from the other known dimensions in the photo:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=432888&...

gdflp - 27-12-2015 at 08:31

This lists the solubility in water as 2.42g/L @ 20°C, but it also lists the MP as -35°C so I'm inclined not to trust it. The most obvious thing to try would just be a straight recrystallization from water or aq. EtOH; heating the solution up to 40°C, saturating with the crude terpineol, and cooling down to 0°C to see if any crystals form.

gdflp - 27-12-2015 at 08:37

Just found data from the CRC(2003), which lists the properties as follows :
MP : 40.5°C
BP : 220°C
Solubility: sl H<sub>2</sub>O; vs acetone, benzene, ether, EtOH
Crystalline Form : Crystals, Petroleum Ether

It might be worth a try then recrystallizing from pet. ether as well.

blogfast25 - 27-12-2015 at 08:41

This lists the solubility in water as 2.42g/L @ 20°C, but it also lists the MP as -35°C so I'm inclined not to trust it. The most obvious thing to try would just be a straight recrystallization from water or aq. EtOH; heating the solution up to 40°C, saturating with the crude terpineol, and cooling down to 0°C to see if any crystals form.

If it crystallises out of it's own impurities, as suggested by aga's latest post, then that might be enough: remember that this isn't the end-product, we need to hydrogenate the alpha-terpineol.

blogfast25 - 27-12-2015 at 08:47

It might be worth a try then recrystallizing from pet. ether as well.

It has occurred to me but I don't think aga has any Pet. ether. Hexane or cyclohexane would probably work too. Or 'octane': distilling lead-free petrol is fun! :D

Thanks for the ref.!

aga - 27-12-2015 at 09:05

I only have furry Pets.

Petrol distillation ? OK !

I'll use the Bigger burner.

blogfast25 - 27-12-2015 at 09:05

Oh and here's the proposed reaction mechanism for the conversion of α-pinene to α-terpineol:

alpha pinene to terpineol.gif - 4kB

1. A proton/oxonium electrophilic attacks the double bond, creates carbonium ion.

2. Orbital movement causes the charge to move to the tertiary carbon atom (more stable), creates new double bond.

3. Nucleophilic attack by water on that carbonium atom creates desired carbinol and releases proton (confirming protons as catalyst).

blogfast25 - 27-12-2015 at 09:06

I only have furry Pets.

Petrol distillation ? OK !

I'll use the Bigger burner.

Hold yer fire and put yer hands above yer heads!

aga - 27-12-2015 at 09:09

lol

aga - 27-12-2015 at 11:20

OK.

Boiling off the acetone appears to have knackered the product, or at least reduced yield to almost nothing.

I think the consensus is that 'we don't know' so time for some experimentation, surely ?

Firstly a Bigger batch needs making, say 2x or 3x the original volumes.

From that there should be around 20~30ml of raw product as per blogfast's calculation from the photo.

Let's chop the post-reflux liquid into 4 equal portions and do different things to it to see what happens.

As there was phase sep and some crystals without even trying, i suspect that neutralising the acid with an excess of K2CO3 will be enough to get the product out.

That's 1 portion taken, just need 3 other suggestions for the others ...

As the acetone was barely even reaching the first bulb in the condenser during reflux, could the heat be turned up to reduce reaction time (e.g.120 C) or would excess heat lead to other non-desireable products ?

Edit:

In the reaction scheme, the acetone is absent.

If it is merely a solvent, then the sheer quantity specified is vastly greater than it needs to be : during reaction the drip rate from the condenser is around 2 drops a second or less @ 85 C.

[Edited on 27-12-2015 by aga]

blogfast25 - 27-12-2015 at 14:21

Ok, Mr Action 'the-others-just-keep-on-thumb-fiddling' Man, it sounds like a plan. Approved [insert sound of rubber stamp]!

OK.

In the reaction scheme, the acetone is absent.

If it is merely a solvent, then the sheer quantity specified is vastly greater than it needs to be : during reaction the drip rate from the condenser is around 2 drops a second or less @ 85 C.

[Edited on 27-12-2015 by aga]

The acetone is there to make the catalysis homogeneous, which makes things faster. For now, let's not touch the reagent/reagent product ratios YET.

Will now watch U2U video.

Thank you, please! :D

aga - 27-12-2015 at 14:34

It does seem to my barely trained eye that this synthesis has not been thoroughly investigated ... Yet !

That makes it More interesting !

Ratios remain in place ... for now.

The Dark Side Beckons ...

Reminds me : where is Darkstar when needed ?

Surfing atmospheres and calling himself 'Talby' most likely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Star_%28film%29

[Edited on 28-12-2015 by aga]

blogfast25 - 27-12-2015 at 16:13

Ratios remain in place ... for now.

Ratios may affect ratios of isomers: alpha, beta, gamma terpineol. Just a thought. Definitely worth investigating though. :):)

[Edited on 28-12-2015 by blogfast25]

blogfast25 - 27-12-2015 at 17:45

A quick word about heterogeneous and homogeneous reactions/catalysis.

The catalyst here is dilute aqueous H2SO4, in which α-pinene is insoluble (more or less). When sufficient acetone is added we get a three component one-phase system: homogeneous.

The latter is broadly preferred because of better contact between the reagents, which equals higher number of collisions.

Heterogeneous requires mass transfer between the phases to get collisions between reagent(s) and catalyst.

I believe that's the rationale behind using a weakly acidic acetone solvent here but that certainly doesn't mean trying a heterogeneous approach isn't worth attempting, at some point.

[Edited on 28-12-2015 by blogfast25]

Bloggers returns to the lab (slowly!)

blogfast25 - 29-12-2015 at 07:17

After my Annus Horribilis (2015) I'm ready to return to my lab. After a little trouble getting into it (frozen lock!) and getting the lights to work (damp!) today I'm conducting a simple experiment.

Some time ago I bought some terpineol here. This is the naturally occurring isomer mix and NOT pure alpha-terpineol. This product had previously been tested by me as catalyst for the KOH/Mg reduction, with negative results.

It's a mildly viscous liquid, perfectly clear and with a faint, pleasant floral odour, distinctly different from turpentine (which I also have).

I've simply poured a few ml into a clean test tube, covered it and put this into an ice bath. Will anything crystallise out?

Wait and see...

[Edited on 29-12-2015 by blogfast25]

aga - 29-12-2015 at 09:13

Get a distillation going to warm the lab up.

blogfast25 - 29-12-2015 at 09:48

Get a distillation going to warm the lab up.

It's got heating but it cut out when left too long unattended. Quite a bit of clean-up to do as well.

Ah, life!

aga - 30-12-2015 at 06:00

In 5 minutes the next attempt will have finished refluxing.

This is 20ml alpha-pinene in 40ml 15 v/v% acid and 250ml acetone.

I'll split off 125ml of the reaction liquid and chuck K2CO3 into it until it stops fizzing and see what happens.

The rest will be put aside to be subjected to whatever process you desire (and i have the ability to do).

blogfast25 - 30-12-2015 at 07:03

Awaitng progress report in Real Time. :D

Strange Results

aga - 30-12-2015 at 07:19

Post reflux the liquid was once again a clear colourless liquid.

125ml was spilt off from the reaction mixture of 310ml.

This portion was cooled rapidly in a water bath and the liquid became cloudy same as last time.

After a few minutes standing, the cooled portion started to clear and a colourless layer was seen on top of the cloudy liquid (N.B. this is with NO NaOH added).

After another 5 minutes the cloudy lower layer began to clear from the bottom up.

postreflux.JPG - 162kB

The liquid was swirled to re-mix the layers and two portions of 3ml were drawn off with a pipette and placed into two test tubes.

A spatula tip of K2CO3 was added to one and 1ml of 15w% NaOH was added to other.

Both were shaken and allowed to stand for 5 minutes.

The K2CO3 portion formed a thin upper layer of water-clear liquid and a yellow/brown cloudy lower layer.

The NaOH portion formed 3 layers !

The upper layer was water clear, the middle layer cloudy, and the lower layer appeared as globules of a clear oil-like substance.

3layers.JPG - 114kB

Carefully removing the lower layer with a pipette, a drop was put on some absorbent kitchen towel to test the smell (everything smells of acetone).

Immediately on touching the towel, clear crystals formed.

The rest of the sample was added to the towel to create a larger batch of crystals.

crystals.JPG - 153kB

[Edited on 30-12-2015 by aga]

blogfast25 - 30-12-2015 at 08:07

aga:

What happened to the rest of the 310 ml of post-reflux mixture? That contains about half of the alpha-terpineol!

At this point my guess is that the crystals are Na2SO4. The lower layer MUST be aqueous. Density dictates that. The upper layer MUST be the organics.

Please carefully check the water solubility of the crystals. Na2SO4 is highly water soluble, alpha-terpineol is not.

My experiment yielded nothing. No crystals after 4 h at 0 C. No crystals overnight at -18 C.

[Edited on 30-12-2015 by blogfast25]

aga - 30-12-2015 at 09:01

What happened to the rest of the 310 ml of post-reflux mixture? That contains about half of the alpha-terpineol!

It's in a stoppered RBF awaiting instructions.

At this point my guess is that the crystals are Na2SO4. The lower layer MUST be aqueous. Density dictates that. The upper layer MUST be the organics.

Matters not. I cannot repeat that result, and it's not what we're after anyway.

My experiment yielded nothing. No crystals after 4 h at 0 C. No crystals overnight at -18 C.

Same here with what i just tried on 50ml of the 125ml portion.

The clear upper layer was separated and then NaOH solution added to the remainder in a sep funnel, capped, shaken, vented etc.

Separation happened.

Boiling off most of the acetone caused the remainder to become a yellowish liquid with an oily film on top.

Funnily enough, the pre-NaOH clear upper liquid also reacts with NaOH forming 2 phases.

Pretty sure i'm lost now, partly due to acetone intoxication.

Time for some emergency Medication ;)

blogfast25 - 30-12-2015 at 09:20

Nice work.

I is a tizzy cornfused now. By rights we should have 10 to 20 ml of organic phase now, presumed mainly alpha-terpineol.

Amirong? Or isiright?

aga - 30-12-2015 at 09:28

We got 185ml of post-reflux mixture which has a clear upper layer already, without adding any NaOH.

There is also a watch glass with some yellow stuff on it and a load of glassware to clean.

blogfast25 - 30-12-2015 at 09:46

We got 185ml of post-reflux mixture which has a clear upper layer already, without adding any NaOH.

I suggest to neutralise, allow to stand, the separate organics.

Perhaps mildly chill to see if we get crystals?

Then tell the mice to do the washing up.

aga - 30-12-2015 at 09:49

As we already have a separation of two phases, surely the upper phase should be removed before doing anything, as it must contain a different compound to that in the lower phase, or is that too simplistic ?

aga - 30-12-2015 at 10:28

With the last 60 ml of 'my' 125ml portion i've removed the top layer (added it to the previous ones) then neutralised the acid with NaOH , separated the upper layer and put it in a 250ml beaker so the acetone can evaporate off overnight.

Ve vill zee vot 'appens.

gdflp - 30-12-2015 at 11:03

Blogfast, it sounds as though the mixed isomers in your terpineol are suppressing the melting point. Perhaps putting some more effort into purifying the alpha pinene beforehand will help to simplify the reaction workup for aga. 35C is quite low for a MP, so I'm not really surprised that the terpineol isn't solidifying.

The benzoate ester should be a solid despite melting point depression however, so it might be worth a try esterifying some of the suspected terpineol, then recrystallizing it and saponifying it. Should be quite high yielding due to terpineol's low water solubility.

blogfast25 - 30-12-2015 at 11:11

As we already have a separation of two phases, surely the upper phase should be removed before doing anything, as it must contain a different compound to that in the lower phase, or is that too simplistic ?

Yes. You can remove the OL w/o neutralising.

blogfast25 - 30-12-2015 at 11:12

Blogfast, it sounds as though the mixed isomers in your terpineol are suppressing the melting point. Perhaps putting some more effort into purifying the alpha pinene beforehand will help to simplify the reaction workup for aga. 35C is quite low for a MP, so I'm not really surprised that the terpineol isn't solidifying.

The benzoate ester should be a solid despite melting point depression however, so it might be worth a try esterifying some of the suspected terpineol, then recrystallizing it and saponifying it. Should be quite high yielding due to terpineol's low water solubility.

Agreed with both points. I didn't expect much of the freezing at all.

Got a recipe for esterification to benzoate? That must take a while, with all that steric hindrance...

And I'm a bit concerned about the double bond in there, with conc. H2SO4 as catalyst...

aga - 30-12-2015 at 11:32

Perhaps putting some more effort into purifying the alpha pinene beforehand will help to simplify the reaction workup for aga.

Suggestions?

All i've done so far is distill commercial turps.

gdflp - 30-12-2015 at 11:57

Agreed with both points. I didn't expect much of the freezing at all.

Got a recipe for esterification to benzoate? That must take a while, with all that steric hindrance...

And I'm a bit concerned about the double bond in there, with conc. H2SO4 as catalyst...

That's why I was thinking benzoyl chloride, especially since aga likes making disulfur dichloride.:D That would alleviate the issues due to steric hindrance, and with proper reaction conditions, HCl wouldn't be an issue with the double bond.

@aga As for purifying the terpene, I can't think of anything right now. I didn't find anything in <i>Purification of Laboratory Chemicals</i>. I'll update if I think of anything.

aga - 30-12-2015 at 12:34

S2Cl2 is a complete hooligan.

It does not have any manners at all and just barges through organic molecules like a randy Bulldozer chasing a Cowdozer on heat.

[Edited on 30-12-2015 by aga]

Esterification of a t-alcohol (carbinol) with benzoyl chloride

blogfast25 - 30-12-2015 at 13:44

(I think ;))

Benzoyl chloride.gif - 4kB

The question is, how selective would such an esterification be with regards to the 4 terpineol isomers? W/o selectivity, no basis for separation.

gdflp - 30-12-2015 at 14:46

It's not selective in the least. But, assuming that the crude is reasonably pure a-terpineol, it allows a convenient method of purification by recrystallization from a suitable solvent such as methanol.

aga - 30-12-2015 at 14:58

Think i'll go and have a word with a pine tree in the morning for alternate raw material.

blogfast25 - 30-12-2015 at 16:01

Think i'll go and have a word with a pine tree in the morning for alternate raw material.

Why? Please remember that turpentine is in fact distilled pine resins, whatever is understood by distillation here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turpentine#Converting_oleoresi...

So far the (re-distilled) turpentine has served quite well, I think.

[Edited on 31-12-2015 by blogfast25]

blogfast25 - 30-12-2015 at 16:12

@gdflp:

What I might try is to treat my commercial isomeric terpineol mixture with 20 % HCl at RT. t-alcohols halogenate easily. Then dry and freeze again. Perhaps some of these R-Cl might then drop out...

aga - 30-12-2015 at 16:21

Why?

There's a big pine tree a few hundred metres away.

I like trees, and will enjoy going to have a look at it.

gdflp - 30-12-2015 at 16:29

Indeed, since the reaction will happen at RT, you might be able to get away with forming the alkyl chloride with minimal hydration of the double bond. It might provide some separation from certain impurities, but I don't see why the other isomers of terpineol wouldn't chlorinate as well, and I don't see how the alkyl chloride will be any easier to purify than the alcohol.

blogfast25 - 30-12-2015 at 16:37

Indeed, since the reaction will happen at RT, you might be able to get away with forming the alkyl chloride with minimal hydration of the double bond. It might provide some separation from certain impurities, but I don't see why the other isomers of terpineol wouldn't chlorinate as well, and I don't see how the alkyl chloride will be any easier to purify than the alcohol.

No contest. :)

blogfast25 - 30-12-2015 at 16:45

I like trees, and will enjoy going to have a look at it.

Stroke it for me. :)

Biochemistry is amazing.

Below are tree, I mean three, structures that are almost certainly genetically related:

carbinol structures.gif - 3kB

Left and middle are the same (rearranged) but note the similarity between middle and right. Middle is Myrcenol, a substance found in various pine-related plants. It's saturated version, tetrahydro myrcenol, is a target molecule of this project.

@gdflp:

I hope you're listening to all this because you're in charge of finding a way to convert right to middle! :D:D

aga - 31-12-2015 at 01:45

There are some crystals this morning.

Not all of the acetone has evaporated off yet, so i suspect there'll be more.

blogfast25 - 31-12-2015 at 06:06

There are some crystals this morning.

Not all of the acetone has evaporated off yet, so i suspect there'll be more.

Good work so far, aga.

Allow time to do its work.

I propose to collect the crystals on a Buchner (with mild vacuum) and to wash them once with cold 50/50 v/v acetone/water. Then recover them from the filter and air dry them for a few days.

If that plan doesn't flounder I'm tempted to move to Stage 2: hydrogenation, without further purification of the alpha-terpineol because we'll have to work-up the saturated version anyway.

aga - 31-12-2015 at 09:11

Bad news : the crystals have buggered off.

Do they decompose in sunlight ?

Good news is that the acetone smell has gone.

I've put the beaker in a fridge to see if the crystals reappear.

blogfast25 - 31-12-2015 at 11:22

Bad news : the crystals have buggered off.

Do they decompose in sunlight ?

Good news is that the acetone smell has gone.

I've put the beaker in a fridge to see if the crystals reappear.

How many ml approx. do you have? Let's see what chilling does.

aga - 31-12-2015 at 11:35

About 25 ~ 35 ml.

This is still the remains of the 125ml portion i used for messing with.

The larger volume of post-reflux liquid remains untouched.

aga - 1-1-2016 at 13:18

Today the sample still shows no crystals, despite being in a fridge at 7 C overnight.

I've gone ahead and neutralised the acid in the remaining post-reflux 185ml liquid after separating the clear Upper layer, adding it to the collection of post-reflux upper layers (which is also in the fridge).

After adding the NaOH two layers formed, so they were separated and the Upper layer is also in the fridge now.

The lower aqueous layer readily precipitates crystals of presumably Na2SO4, especially in the sep funnel !

Remember that we already have a phase sep after reflux, before neutralising the acid, and this collected Upper layer is sitting quietly in a beaker.

So, what next with the Two separated phases (pre-and post acid neutralisation) ?

[Edited on 1-1-2016 by aga]

blogfast25 - 1-1-2016 at 14:29

A teensie bit disappointing, this crystals-no-show.

I suggest to pool all organic phases together and wash them about three times with clean water, using a sep. funnel. This would remove any remaining acetone and any other water soluble impurities.

aga - 1-1-2016 at 15:00

Sorry. No can do.

Mixing them up seems viscerally wrong.

The Upper phase that separated after the reflux Must be different to the stuff that separated after neutralising the acid.

This substance also shows phase sep on treatment with NaOH.

There are at least two products.

Maybe my thinking is wrong, in which case i'l do it all again again.

blogfast25 - 1-1-2016 at 18:08

The Upper phase that separated after the reflux Must be different to the stuff that separated after neutralising the acid.

Explain your reasoning? The neutralisation only serves to kill the catalyst, not to modify the product.

Quote:
Maybe my thinking is wrong, in which case i'l do it all again again.

I see no reason to start all over again: all these organic phases must contain alpha-terpineol. It's a matter of getting it out of there.

If we don't get any crystals I think pooling together, washing with water, drying (over CaCl2 or MgSO4) and taking a BP should be the next step.

Then perhaps trying to drive off some low-boilers. Unreacted alpha-pinene and stuff like 3-carene boil around 150 - 160 C, so distilling these off is a real possibility...

Alternative plans are will be heard, of course. Think about it. :):) There's no fire and no rush.

[Edited on 2-1-2016 by blogfast25]

aga - 2-1-2016 at 10:57

Distilling the upper layer from the post-reflux, pre-NaOH liquid, it came over entirely at around 160 C, so i guess it's unreacted pinene.

Distilling the post-reflux post-NaOH addition upper layer stabilised at 56 C for a while, paused briefly at 3 other temperatures before stabilising at 100 C.

The liquid left in the boiling pot did not form any layers, so it was cooled (nothing happened) then transferred to a sep funnel and the last few ml (maybe 15) of the available DCM was added.

Shake, vent, wait, and two layers formed.

The Lower layer appears to be the product, which forms solids.

Currently it is in the fridge and reeks of DCM.

[Edited on 2-1-2016 by aga]

blogfast25 - 2-1-2016 at 12:42

I. Distilling the upper layer from the post-reflux, pre-NaOH liquid, it came over entirely at around 160 C, so i guess it's unreacted pinene.

II. Distilling the post-reflux post-NaOH addition upper layer stabilised at 56 C for a while, paused briefly at 3 other temperatures before stabilising at 100 C.

The liquid left in the boiling pot did not form any layers, so it was cooled (nothing happened) then transferred to a sep funnel and the last few ml (maybe 15) of the available DCM was added.

Shake, vent, wait, and two layers formed.

The Lower layer appears to be the product, which forms solids.

Currently it is in the fridge and reeks of DCM.

I. Total mystery. Clueless in Bridlington. It might suggest to cook, neutralise and further process all the same day? Still doesn't make a lot of sense...

II. Good move with the DCM! With density of 1.33 that must surely be the lower phase. Sulphate must be in top layer.

Try and quantify the amount of solids?

All that variability is worrying though. Good work nonetheless. I think we're nano-inching in the right direction! :D

aga - 2-1-2016 at 14:04

It's a journey.

As far as i can tell, quite a few OC 'Literature' accounts are pure Lies or skip mentioning many many things.

This one Will be hammered Flat.

To Know is to Know.

To Lie about Knowing is pollution of the Knowlege for All.

blogfast25 - 2-1-2016 at 15:23

Sapere Aude!

Eeek ! Polymer !

aga - 3-1-2016 at 07:44

In the fridge the 'product' was a soild and stuck to the beaker, so some absolute ethanol was used to dissolve it, in the vain hope that a recrystallisation would be possible.

Rather than dissolve, the solid released en-masse from the glass in the form of a weird floating sheet of something !

bag.JPG - 143kB

Removed and dried, this thing weighs 0.39g and is somewhat elastic, with surprising strength.

plate.JPG - 146kB

Another run of the hydration was started with 80ml of alpha-pinene and no acetone at all.

After 2.5 hrs refluxing the level of the water layer had not changed at all (calculation said it would, by ~6ml, as water would be consumed in the reaction).

At all times the two layers remained separate.

Acetone was added and the mixture became homogenous.

This mixture will be refluxed for another attempt at recovering the product.

blogfast25 - 3-1-2016 at 09:27

Hmmm... Not looking good at all. Polymerisation due to these double bonds?

The 'a-word' is starting to depressingly spring to mind. :(

aga - 3-1-2016 at 09:39

Hmmm... Not looking good at all. Polymerisation due to these double bonds?

The 'a-word' is starting to depressingly spring to mind. :(

Which 'a-word' ?

aga
amateur
asshole
abomination
anathema

... all of which can apply !

[Edited on 3-1-2016 by aga]

blogfast25 - 3-1-2016 at 09:50

Abort. Sadly.

We may want to contemplate acquiring some alpha-terpineol.

[Edited on 3-1-2016 by blogfast25]

aga - 3-1-2016 at 09:53

Not a chance.

blogfast25 - 3-1-2016 at 09:59

Not a chance.

Plan?

aga - 3-1-2016 at 10:02

Yes, that would be a good idea.

Doesn't seem 100% likely though.

Boil stuff a lot will probably feature heavily.

blogfast25 - 3-1-2016 at 10:24

http://www.hekserij.nl/alfa_Terpineol.aspx

hekserij.nl is a small Dutch outfit I've bought stuff from before. Good service, no problems.

This grade is about 90 %, so would still need some refining. €2.5 for 10 ml (shipping and tax not incl.) is not the worst price ever.

aga - 3-1-2016 at 11:52

No postage to Spain sadly.

blogfast25 - 3-1-2016 at 12:13

No postage to Spain sadly.

I would buy it and send it to Viva Espana, por favor!

One thing that might still worth trying is to replicate your very first attempt, the one that yielded some crystals...

aga - 3-1-2016 at 12:23

I would buy it and send it to Viva Espana, por favor!

It would be good to see some actual Product if only for a reference.

One thing that might still worth trying is to replicate your very first attempt, the one that yielded some crystals...

That is a better plan.

Just 'giving up' is not an option.

blogfast25 - 3-1-2016 at 12:44

Ok, it's a (2 point) deal, hombre! :D

aga - 4-1-2016 at 10:01

Was doing the reflux thing some more today.

Doesn't have to be all done in one day, so may as well do an hour or so more refluxing each day for a week.

I noticed that the mix with acetone isn't actually homogenous. The demarcation is very subtle, but there are definitely two phases, so it's not as ideal as first thought.

That write-up is starting to sound either bogus, or useless for actual production, seeing as you need a GC to separate the micrograms of product.

The acetone bothers me a lot: boiling at 56 C means the reaction mixture is colder than it could be without the acetone.

I worked out the enthalpy to be around <strike>+313 kJ/mol</strike> (see below) which would suggest it needs hotter conditions to proceed at any worthwhile rate.

Suggestion: pre-mix the alpha-pinene and 36% acid (plenty of water already included) then bang it in a pressure cooker for a few hours.

The pressure will force the whole thing to higher temps and there should be a whole load of superheated vapours available for the hydrogenation reaction with the pre-protonated alpha-pinene.

Whaddyall think ?

[Edited on 4-1-2016 by aga]

blogfast25 - 4-1-2016 at 10:18

Was doing the reflux thing some more today.

I. Doesn't have to be all done in one day, so may as well do an hour or so more refluxing each day for a week.

II. I noticed that the mix with acetone isn't actually homogenous. The demarcation is very subtle, but there are definitely two phases, so it's not as ideal as first thought.

III. That write-up is starting to sound either bogus, or useless for actual production, seeing as you need a GC to separate the micrograms of product.

IV. The acetone bothers me a lot: boiling at 56 C means the reaction mixture is colder than it could be without the acetone.

I worked out the enthalpy to be around +313 kJ/mol which would suggest it needs hotter conditions to proceed at any worthwhile rate.

V. Suggestion: pre-mix the alpha-pinene and 36% acid (plenty of water already included) then bang it in a pressure cooker for a few hours.

The pressure will force the whole thing to higher temps and there should be a whole load of superheated vapours available for the hydrogenation reaction with the pre-protonated alpha-pinene.

Whaddyall think ?

I. True but splitting it up does reduce control over time. See (from that paper):

aterpineol v time.png - 24kB

II. That's interesting but acetone is still likely to act as a mass transfer agent.

III. I'm not giving up on it yet. In principle there's no reasone why it can't be scaled up.

IV. My value of EoR is also positive but a bit lower than yours. Either way, heat pushes endothermic equilibria to the right. The main effect of temperature is on reaction rate though.

V. Pressure cookers have two main disadvantages here:

1. Corrosion: hot dilute H2SO4 is the enemy of aluminium or SS.

2. Temperature is max. about 121 C, usually 118 C. Not as high as you might think. But even 20 C can make a lot of difference in terms of reaction rate.

[Edited on 4-1-2016 by blogfast25]

aga - 4-1-2016 at 10:21

Using the table from the QM/OC thread :-

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62973&...

... according to the reaction mechanism here :-

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15171&...

we break bonds :-

step 1: C-C 368
step 2: C-C 368
step 3: O-H 465
total broken: 1201

we make bonds :-

step 1: C-H 414
step 2: C-C 368
step 3: C-O 352
total made: 1134

Which gives 67kJ/mol required, not 313.

Sorry.

I was sober at the time and obviously not thinking clearly.

blogfast25 - 4-1-2016 at 10:28

+67 kJ/mol is almost 'neutral'. Temperature won't affect equilibrium that much. And we're supplying heat anyroads.

[Edited on 4-1-2016 by blogfast25]

aga - 4-1-2016 at 10:33

Really ? (i still have not got a handle on what the kJ/mol thing feels like).

In that case we're facing Kinetic barriers to a sucessful reaction.

Hmm.

[Edited on 4-1-2016 by aga]

aga - 4-1-2016 at 10:43

Idea: any clue as to how much H2O converts to H3O<sup>+</sup> at a given temperature ?

Perhaps there simply is not much actual H2O available in the water.

blogfast25 - 4-1-2016 at 12:05

I. Really ? (i still have not got a handle on what the kJ/mol thing feels like).

II. In that case we're facing Kinetic barriers to a sucessful reaction.

III. Hmm.

I. Classic Thermite is about - 850 kJ/mol (of Fe2O3), e.g.

II. I think we made some alpha-T, that first run. It's driven by entropy, not enthalpy, this one.

III. Erm.

aga - 4-1-2016 at 12:37

Best write a description of how Entropy relates to alchemy, probably best in the QM/OC thread.

I'm out of my depth here and paddling in acetone, which is not ideal for an alcoholic chain smoker.

blogfast25 - 4-1-2016 at 14:46

I'm out of my depth here and paddling in acetone, which is not ideal for an alcoholic chain smoker.

Do you run these refluxions in the fume hood?

As regards Entropy determination:

Best write a description of how Entropy relates to alchemy, probably best in the QM/OC thread.

...bar for the simplest of molecules Entropy can only be determined experimentally, see e.g. here.

$$\Delta S=\frac{Q_{rev}}{T}$$

Yeehaw!

Here is an example of the empirical determination of the Entropy of Al2O3:

http://www2.stetson.edu/~wgrubbs/datadriven/entropyaluminumo...

[Edited on 5-1-2016 by blogfast25]

blogfast25 - 6-1-2016 at 19:06

A change of tactic?

alpha-terpineol from turpentine patent:

http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US2898380

See "Example 1."

Filed by American Cyanamid Co, quite a reputable company.

There is actually one quite interesting factoid to be gleaned from it. Will elaborate tomorrow.

[Edited on 7-1-2016 by blogfast25]

blogfast25 - 7-1-2016 at 07:57

terpineol patent A.png - 211kB

terpineol patent B.png - 218kB

terpineol patent C.png - 175kB

These are taken from the patent source text linked to above.

The authors assert that residual H2SO4 is difficult to wash out of the crude hydrate and that this is a cause of low alpha-terpineol yield.

Something to consider?

aga - 7-1-2016 at 08:56

Interesting patent info - great find bloggers.

No acetone i see. Good !

Still cannot understand the huge wash of acetone in the previous experiment (which didn't work).

Got no IGEPAL CO-630 (octylphenoxypolyethoxyethanol) non-ionic emulsifying agent handy so did a couple of little experiments with washing up liquid instead.

Works fine - the mixture of that with acid & pinene goes milky white with mild stirring.

The acid rips out the green colour, so it is no longer a Mild Green Stirry liquid<sup>1</sup> ;)

Too little WUL and the layers separate quickly.
Too much and it'll probably go all frothy.

So now there's a pot with 53g of turps, 189g 36% H2SO4 and 1.15g of washing up liquid happily stirring in a 250ml FBF at around 23 C (ambient)

If the claimed yield can be achieved, that's 33ml turpineol.

Doubtless it will end up a lot less due to idiocy, and the starting material has not been distilled this time.

<font size="1"><sup>1</sup> Close to a very old UK advert slogan for a famous washing up liquid brand, for you non-UK people.</font>

[Edited on 7-1-2016 by aga]

blogfast25 - 7-1-2016 at 09:17

@aga:

Nice work!

I suggest for work-up the procedure of 'Sample B', then distil at atm. pressure, closely monitoring head temperature. Probably leave the fraction of BP > 170 - 180 C in the pot.

Then all will be revealed.

Ultima Ratio Regum!

aga - 7-1-2016 at 09:31

Vac pump can pull 66 mBar, just not so happy about imploding glassware.

cum fortuna braccae non dissiliunt

blogfast25 - 7-1-2016 at 09:47

Vac pump can pull 66 mBar, just not so happy about imploding glassware.

You do realise that even at 0 mm Hg, the pressure acting on the glass is still only 1 bar, right? That's like taking an RBF, stoppering it and taking it on a scuba dive of 20.66 m deep. You think it would implode?

As far as I understand glassware for vac distillation requires no special specs.

But here atm. dist should still work, just don't try and get the alpha-terpineol to come over!

And if everything comes over at abt. 155 C we know it's another epic fail. :mad:

Parolum me posterium exit?

aga - 7-1-2016 at 12:03

Yeah. OK. The key is by the teapot.

Chinese glass, and not tried it before under vacuum, so standard distillation conditions preferred for now.

Scuba at 50m in Barbados was interesting seeing as my assigned 'dive buddy' immediately proclaimed his asthma and epilepsy.

Worse was water skiing - the fastest way to an instant saltwater enema i have ever discovered.

blogfast25 - 7-1-2016 at 13:20

Yeah. OK. The key is by the teapot.

I was looking for it in the pot marked 'Madras Paste'. Sorry.

Incidentally, I'm not sure what this 'Sample B' post-reaction addition of fresh alpha-pinene is supposed to actually do but it's worth a shot, IMHO.

[Edited on 8-1-2016 by blogfast25]

aga - 9-1-2016 at 11:19

Another batch of alpha-terpineol has been prepared as per Example 2 of that last patent bloggers found, then separated, then washed and refluxed with more acid, then distilled.

5.42g of a yellowish liquid is what remains when the head temperature went over 170 C.

The Big question is : how can i tell what it is ?

Edit :

Two more batches also under way.

[Edited on 9-1-2016 by aga]

Pages:  1    3    5