Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Building a sieve/mesh frame system & shaker

RogueRose - 30-7-2019 at 19:17

I want to build a sieve/mesh sifter that I can put on some kind of shaker to automatically separate grain sizes of various compounds. I've found that ebay sells a lot of stainless mesh cloth from 1 mesh down to 1000 mesh for very good prices and it seems like the range is $3-10 per sq ft (300mm x 300mm usually). The best prices are shipped out of China (for free often) so if you can wait, you can get this for a very good price.

I'm having difficulty trying to figure out the frame system and material I should use. I'm wondering if something like a standard wooden frame made of either plywood or maybe pine or oak, much like a picture frame. I'm thinking of coating the wood with an epoxy to make it easier to clean. I could also staple or tack the mesh to the bottom of the frame and maybe put the epoxy on the wood then place the mesh on it, then tack it down before it dries, to allow the epoxy to hold the mesh in place. IDK if that would work well or not, I'm not sure it will pass through the smaller mesh, though I could apply it on both sides of the mesh around the edges.

I 'm wondering if there is an easy way to make a shaker. I was thinking of looking for an old orbital or vibrational sander, there are some that are pretty big like 3.5" x 8-9" face surface to which I could mount a board. I could probably also control the speed with a dimmer or voltage control or something. Maybe using the body of those shakers for bullet cases (meant to clean brass) could be used for this as well. Any other ideas on how this could be done are appreciated.

I was thinking of drilling down through the frames in 2 or 4 corners where I could have a threaded bolt coming up from the shaker base so I could stack the frames over a bottom catch frame. Then use wing-nuts to screw/clamp the frames down with the bolts.

I was thinking of the following mesh's - should I find smaller or have more in between?
Mesh - mm^2
10 - 2
20 - .85
60 - .25
200 - .075
325 - .044

Sulaiman - 31-7-2019 at 02:43

If the sieve(s) are supported by wires/strings/springs then attaching a small motor with an eccentric load should suffice for the shaking.
e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-5V-3200-RPM-Mini-electric-vibr...