Sciencemadness Discussion Board

flask insulation?

overunity33 - 12-1-2011 at 19:23

What do you guys use for hotplate/flask insulation? I need something thick and heat resistant to wrap around the flask/hotplate top before wrapping foil around it. Is there anything I could pick up at the hardware store?

Magic Muzzlet - 12-1-2011 at 19:58

You should just use a pan or something on top with sand/oil/water, don't rely on just putting a flask on the surface of the plate, it sucks, even with lots of foil and such creating semi-insulation.

smaerd - 12-1-2011 at 20:16

For fractional distillation I wrap a wash rag around the flask. I dunno how good of an idea this is for some purposes but it served me fine.

edit- I use a heating mantel though.

[Edited on 13-1-2011 by smaerd]

Eclectic - 12-1-2011 at 20:21

Standard fiberglass insulation with the facing material removed works.
The aluminum foil faced material may be OK as is.

IrC - 12-1-2011 at 22:00

Kaowool and foil.

Sedit - 12-1-2011 at 22:13

I second the fiber glass insulation, the pink stuff to be precise. It can be cut easily and then wrapped in foil.

grndpndr - 12-1-2011 at 23:05

Me Too,said me Too,
I couldnt tell by your post if you were attempting to prevent heat from reaching the flask or retaining it?!
Id use the sand bath/oil bath to heat the flask and fiberglass insulation sans paper backing as described to retain the heat absorbed.I would think leaving the foil in place should increase heat retention,If you wrap the insulation to tight youll actually reduce tyhe insulation propertys.Goes w/o saying I suppose. FWIW anyway!

[Edited on 13-1-2011 by grndpndr]

TomSwiftJr - 14-1-2011 at 22:09

The local pellet stove store has rolls of the ceramic wool insulation used to refurbish the stoves--2 feet wide, 1/2 inch thick, good to 2000 F.

Probably available in metric in other countries.

Magpie - 14-1-2011 at 22:47

For light duty insulation I use a fiberglass blanket as shown here:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=9717&a...

It's quick and easy to use, and made according to the method of ordenblitz.