Sciencemadness Discussion Board

I hate back-orders

wcousin - 31-1-2011 at 17:38

Hi Everyone,

We are starting a new lab supply company and would like the science communities input. We want to stock supplies that are hard to find or always on backorder. If anyone works in the lab, let me know if there is something you have a hard time finding and we will stock it if it fits our business model.

Thanks

trb456 - 31-1-2011 at 18:05

I'd vote for a wide selection of PFA gear in general, and parts of PFA assemblies in particular. For example, Chemware makes widemouth PFA bottles in both hard top (my term, Chemware just calls these "bottles") and wash bottle configurations. I'd like to be able to buy more hard top assemblies alone to go with my wash bottles. A hard top assembly is 2 piece: an insert to seal the bottle, and a screwtop to seal the insert. I realize PFA gear is expensive, but is very useful in many applications and seems very much up your alley based upon a quick look at your current website.

aonomus - 31-1-2011 at 18:44

I've noticed that companies like Fisher and VWR used to have stock in-house ready to ship, but with the economic downturn especially in pharma, they are always backordered on a bunch of items. I'm assuming they now order from the supplier, then repack and ship to us, instead of having stock ready to go.

Another thing is that many places are reluctant to switch suppliers, you would be surprised how much office politics takes place over a change in disposable glove brand/quality/price. Unless you can offer very competitive prices and are aggressive in sales calls, you might have trouble finding the volume to support low-stock items.

Another thing you could do however is cater towards amateur scientists/hobbyists openly, and have a specific policy on anything involving chemicals directly or glassware shipping to certain locations.

chemoleo - 1-2-2011 at 16:36

Quote:
but with the economic downturn especially in pharma, they are always backordered on a bunch of items

Well I don't think this is necessarily true - had 2.5 L of DCM recently backordered by 3 weeks (Sigma) - and DCM is not exactly an uncommon reagent/solvent!
It happens!

aonomus - 1-2-2011 at 23:01

One recommendation I would have is to put more effort into an online presence, design a parametric search for your products that you stock. It makes it so much easier for customers to open up the purse strings knowing that they've found all the options in one spot.