Sciencemadness Discussion Board

VPN usage and banning

arkoma - 24-11-2019 at 23:45

For a few reasons, I use NordVPN. Pretty much whenever I use it, I get a "you are banned" message. Is this a fucking pain the ass I have to live with because of spam? Think the no instant sign-up has fixed any need for IP blocking.

Corrosive Joeseph - 25-11-2019 at 03:09

I'm using Nord right now and I have no issues. Switching server (country) with your VPN provider changes your IP address.

If you are not up to anything dodgy...... Which I know you're not...... You could also download one of those free Proxy VPN browser extensions just for viewing the forum....... Hotspot Shield isn't a bad one...... I wouldn't bet my life on it, but just for changing your IP it's fine.

/CJ

j_sum1 - 25-11-2019 at 03:10

I don't think IP restrictions were ever an amazing spam stopper. I am sure they had some effect but the most persistent spammers used variable IP addresses.
I thought the same as you and at one point I was about to turn off the restrictions but decided (a) that there was probably no harm in keeping them there and (b) I probably should discuss with the other mods before doing this.

However, since it seems to be causing a problem, I will switch it off. Message me to let me know if there is an improvement or not.

J.

Corrosive Joeseph - 25-11-2019 at 03:24

I assume somebody else who was routed through that server was banned (maybe a spam bot, maybe not). Now every one who uses that server is also banned...... Unfortunately, unbanning that IP address now unbans the previous ban...... No......? That is my understanding of it anyway.

/CJ

arkoma - 25-11-2019 at 03:33

i figured it out. If i am logged in to scimad, and then either turn on/off the nord and refresh scimad page I get a "you have been banned". I have to close my browser and restart it. Must be a session cookie or something that goes away when I restart FF. Has happened a few times, and figured out the reason in the last two hours.